STUCK IN LO RANGE 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 04:37 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STUCK IN LO RANGE 4WD

Hi All -
Just got back from a snowboarding trip to Mammoth Mountain from Los Angeles -- had a great time snowboarding for two days, and my 05 CS performed admirably in the snow in Lo Range 4WD. The problem was, at the end of the trip, as my wife and I started to drive on the highway back to Los Angeles, the CS would not come out of Lo Range 4WD. We spoke to the dealer and 1-800-PORSCHE and we tried everything to get it to work (multiple times), including checking all of the relevant fuses. Unfortunately, nothing worked, and we couldnt drive the car on the freeway past 50 mph without redlining it. Long story short, porsche finally sent a tow truck (4 hours late) to tow the CS 220 miles back to Los Angeles. the whole experience ruined our trip back. My CS has 15000 miles on it and hasn't had any MAJOR problems (although I have been back and forth to my dealer with every MINOR problem imaginable).
I have to say that this experience has made me consider selling my CS and getting a more reliable car. I am considering a Lexus or Range Rover.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Dave
Los Angeles, CA
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear that Dave, hope they already fixed the issue. Also dont use reliable and Range Rover in one sentence, maybe Lexus,LOL.. I havent driven to Mammoth yet for skiing most of the time Tahoe, do you need to use low range to Mammoth?dont u just need to turn psm off? just curious..
There's nobody here in this forum that had issues with 4wd that's the first time I've heard of that problem.. mostly tire vibration and tow ! prob
I know there was a recall regarding transfer case but that was 2 years ago..
Old 01-18-2006, 01:05 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Please post the results of the diagnosis, including any fault codes.

Please post the results of the repair. It may be that they are prohibited from a transfer case repair, focing them to swap this component and are required to return this to Germany for analysis.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
356driver
Racer

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have made the Mammoth trip many times and can't imagine what it must have been like to drive 50 mph on Highway 395. As a data point, I have never had trouble shifting out of low range on my CTT.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:18 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

Turns out that the entire problem was caused by the fact that the 4WD switch shorted out. Per the dealer work order, they replaced the "Running Gear Switch 955-613-157-00". My CS works fine now, but i still dont have my confidence back in the car yet. I hate to say it, but I think German electronics suck.

Quick Reply: STUCK IN LO RANGE 4WD