Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Porsche cross bars (Roof Transport System) or Yakima/Thule cross bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:32 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Porsche cross bars (Roof Transport System) or Yakima/Thule cross bars

This question is for anyone with the factory cross bars (roof transport system) or a Yakima/Thule setup.

On the roof, there are notches in the guides (for lack of a better term) where the cross bars mount. I'm guessing that the cross bars click into these notches somehow. I'm guessing that Porsche has figured out that these notches represent the best position for the cross bars, relative to wind noise, ideal mounting position for accessories etc..

I'd like to use these notches more or less as a starting point for positioning the Yakima bars that I have.

When mounting the factory cross bars, how do they click into place... in the center of the cross bar, or at one of the edges of the bar? In other words, should I be centering my landing pads across one of the notches, or line it up with an edge?

Or... anyone that has Yakima or Thule bars (or had them... i.e. Alex)... where have you determined to be the best position, especially relative to wind noise?

P.S. FYI... I tried a fairing, and it just wouldn't fit right. No matter where I mounted the front cross bar, the fairing would make contact with the sunroof (as opposed to the metal roof). It also rattled... so needless to say, I'll be returning it soon.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 AM
356driver
Racer

The factory crossbars click into the notches on center.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim,

I went through a similar evaluation process last fall. I ended up going with factory bars I found on ebay (slightly used) that were in the Denver area. The notches allow the "feet" of the cross bars to slide into the lower section of the rails and you tighten where you want them.

I added a Yakima Plat Pro 16 box and the minimum spread is like 34", so that is where I set the cross bars (works for the ski rack attachment as well). The bars are positioned to maintain a level box while minimizing the impact of the box restricting the opening of the rear hatch upwards and the front overhang acting as a wing.

I have heard good things about the OEM box and the factory cross-bar presentation is alot cleaner than the aftermarket stuff - Thule/Yak/Rocky Mounts, etc..

Let me know if you need pictures,

Grant
Old 01-10-2006, 12:41 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by 356driver
The factory crossbars click into the notches on center.
Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:58 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by gjb
Jim,

I went through a similar evaluation process last fall. I ended up going with factory bars I found on ebay (slightly used) that were in the Denver area. The notches allow the "feet" of the cross bars to slide into the lower section of the rails and you tighten where you want them.
So... with the factory cross bars, you can put them wherever you want? There aren't only a few set positions that you have to click them into place (i.e. all of the little, single notches along the length of the guide rail)?

Also, Yakima makes mounting hardware for the Porsche cross bars? That's great! I thought that nothing but Porsche-specific boxes and attachments fit Porsche's proprietary system.

I added a Yakima Plat Pro 16 box and the minimum spread is like 34", so that is where I set the cross bars (works for the ski rack attachment as well). The bars are positioned to maintain a level box while minimizing the impact of the box restricting the opening of the rear hatch upwards and the front overhang acting as a wing.
I have a black Yakima 16s. I'll have to check the documentation for the minimum spread. I don't recall seeing it. Most likely though, it is the same as the Plat Pro 16. I checked the distance on mine... it's at about 33" right now.

For my recent trip (i.e. see my Christmas Vacation post), mine was more or less set up as you state... no interference with the hatch and it was essentially flat. However, once I took the box off and drove with just the cross bars on, it was very noisy... with lots of turbulence. So... I'm trying to find the right position... most likely just a couple of inches forward or backwards on each bar. I think it's going to have to be a matter of trial and error.

Let me know if you need pictures,

Grant
Sure... pictures would definitely help... please post them here (for the archives) or email them to me... whatever is easiest for you.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Question about Porsche cross bars (Roof Transport System) or Yakima/Thule cross bars