Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you had wheel vibration in your Cayenne?
No- I have <10K miles so far on my Cayenne
17.98%
No- I have >10K miles but <30K miles on my Cayenne
34.83%
No- I have >30K miles on my Cayenne
10.11%
Yes- the dealer fixed, and it never came back
11.24%
Yes- the dealer "fixed", but it then came back or wasn't fixed
14.61%
Yes- the dealer said nothing was wrong/porsche won't fix
11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Cayenne vibration poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent info so far! Lewis- I wasn't referring to any vibration due to any publicized recall, just any other cuprits that fall outside of a documented Porsche recall... causes that might be open to debate as to wheter there is a fix to be done by the owner or dealer, or a fix that the dealer/Porsche won't recognize or chose to fix under warranty.

I'll admit, I usually hang out in the 964 board, but as we are in early stages of thinking of potential Cayenne or X5 I figured I'd start a poll (not getting rid of the 964 of course - this would be as an everyday car/SUV/SAV or whatever an X5 or Cayenne is considered).

Due to this, I'm not familiar with all the particular causes of the vibration or the % of vehicles affected, but based on the poll so far it seems like it's a big enough issue to make sure any potential purchase either doesn't have the problem or the problem has been addressed...
Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Filledukke
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like there is something with the servotronic too. Some of the Cayenne Turbos that got the S option mounted after delivery had vibration problems. That was cured with a modified servo. Hmm...

I think the servotronic type servo (at least that one.. no experience with the pure servo) as delivered for all Cayennes except the TTS, is working at the edge of the limit. Why should the whole system jerk when standing still and realy load the system by turning the wheel? Too soft system entering into resonance?

Only speculations?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Well, looks like over 30% of respondents so far have had some sort of vibration. I'm not sure of what the servotronic is, but I'm not an owner.

All those cayennes did look nice on the lot when we drove by the dealership- with all the problems these trucks have, we may still have to make a decision...if we can avoid a test drive, we'd probably head to BMW for an X5...if we take a test drive, I'm sure I'd be back negotiating the price and extended warranty on a cayenne S
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 PM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by andrew911
Well, looks like over 30% of respondents so far have had some sort of vibration. I'm not sure of what the servotronic is, but I'm not an owner.

All those cayennes did look nice on the lot when we drove by the dealership- with all the problems these trucks have, we may still have to make a decision...if we can avoid a test drive, we'd probably head to BMW for an X5...if we take a test drive, I'm sure I'd be back negotiating the price and extended warranty on a cayenne S
It depends on how you look at it... it also means that 70% have not had any vibration issues. I'd recommend taking a test drive in both... and then continuing to surf the 'net as much as possible to read feedback on both marques and models, to see what owners are experiencing.

So far, I am very happy with my 2005 Cayenne. In 9k miles, I've had no issues at all.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM
LeS+
8th Gear

Cayenne Turbo. 16 K. Still vibrates @ 70-80. Michelin Diamaris. 19". I am really tired of this. Dealer balanced the wheels but that only reduced the problem.
1st time> they said: Tire pressure was not correct.????
2nd Time: (After calling PCNA) Balanced wheels, but that did not correct it
3rd Time: Change tires .Same as 2nd.....4,5.6

Maybe I am not a happy customer, but Porsche Service is the worst so far (Champion Porsche Pompano Beach FL) Sometimes they thing that people are stupid.

LeS+
Old 01-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Marslandbob
AutoX

I have an 06 turbo with power kit. The dealer has tried unsucessfuly to eliminate the vibration.
Road force balance, tighting pre load on the steering rack ect.
Next week they are replacing the steering rack and control module. I'll report back
Old 01-21-2006, 01:31 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LeS+
Cayenne Turbo. 16 K. Still vibrates @ 70-80. Michelin Diamaris. 19". I am really tired of this. Dealer balanced the wheels but that only reduced the problem.
1st time> they said: Tire pressure was not correct.????
2nd Time: (After calling PCNA) Balanced wheels, but that did not correct it
3rd Time: Change tires .Same as 2nd.....4,5.6

Maybe I am not a happy customer, but Porsche Service is the worst so far (Champion Porsche Pompano Beach FL) Sometimes they thing that people are stupid.

LeS+
I have had 3 brands of tires and went 36K miles before it was fixed with Michelin Diamaris. Ask to see the road force balance. What is the RF on each tire.. report it here.. the number should be a "whole number" i.e. Rt.Front RF = 8 Lt Front RF=5 etc. if you have RF numbers in the teens or higher then the INHERENT manufactured road force of the tire will ALWAYS be the same.. consider it the imperfection rating if you will.. on most cars RF can be in the 20's or even 30's and you may not even notice it.. WHY? because the linkage, drive assembly, manufacturing tolerances are "loose" (if you will) and thus the vibration is "lost" in the other vibrations and or cancelled by this. In this GERMAN rigid (****) tight Cayenne manufacturing tolerances.. it is my opinion and that of others too that tires that are imperfect (again if you will) with a Road Force in the teens will produce a noticable vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel at varying speeds but mostly in the 60-80 mph range.. if you look at old posts most are right around 70-74 which of course is interstate speeds when you're being "legal"! My Conti's and Bridgestones all had RF in the 20's and they would balance the suckers to counteract it but after a few hundred miles the slight shimmy came back to a real shimmy/vibration. The only other issue but it has supposedly been fixed in later 04's and beyond is a cardan shaft. GET THE READOUT FROM THE HUNTER BALANCE AND LOOK AT IT... my Diamaris now have 20K and look to have another 10K in them (mostly interstate) and I still have no shimmy/vibration.. but I do expect that even these will start to have issues as I get close to the wear-bars on them.. but I am sticking with michelin (read posts about how michelin manufactures (has patent) in halves and competitors in quarter sections for reasons why the tire has less inherent manf. defects)

Hope this helps.. get the readout and don't put up with the crap from your dealer. phew.. my brain hurts.. time to drink the adult additive and go to bed..
Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Perhaps this vibration is the reason the rear glass hatch microswitch lives such a short, yet productive, life?

No, I'm not dead yet. .....and unfortunately, neither is the Cayenne .....but the Cayenne IS leaking more fluids all over the garage floor than I am.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:09 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The updated TSB is an eye opener on the process of balancing and alignment.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
bobdog
Track Day

I still believe the problem is primarily related to the tires. I had the Conti, then the Pirelli on 18" wheels and both had significant but tolerable vibrations at about 60-65 mph. Despite multiple visits, rebalances, realignments, there was never any significant improvement. At 30K miles, I went with non Porsche rated Michelin Diamaris. Poof, problem gone. Now at 43K and still no vibration, no dealer visits except the 40K service and no alignments, rotations or even significant tirewear at this point. Now if only the CD player would stop teasing me and actually eject a CD without 15 tries.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:42 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LeS+
Sometimes they thing that people are stupid.

LeS+
Thanks for all the feedback. We were at the dealer this past weekend and the salesman said he never heard anything about vibration in Cayennes....in fact, he and the manager "just had a turbo out the prior week and went 80-100 in it, with no vibration". Guess we are all stupid if the salesman says it doesn't exist- people must be imagining it!

There is some very useful info in this thread- thanks for the feedback. As this issue gets sorted out as time goes on, I think the Cayenne will be a nice future purchase for us (although we are still a year or so off from needing a truck)...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:57 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the V6 and about 9k miles. I've had 2 sets of tires on the 18" wheels and still have the vibration. My dealer finally gave up and gave the "it's in spec and that's just the way it is" speech after going back an forth with PCNA several times.

My understanding is PCNA is doing us huge favors by allowing us to purchase their vehicles and we should just thank them over and over again and ignore any problems.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vibration poll