Ext. Warr. CAUTION! Buyer Beware. Update with Claims Email Address

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Ext. Warr. CAUTION! Buyer Beware. Update with Claims Email Address

Ext. Warranty -- well, I be naked... but I thought I had a Cayenne fig leaf!

Well, schitzu! I have re-joined the ranks of the naked owners past 50K miles. One expensive lesson. www.1sourceautowarranty.com is out of business! A--holes! I thought I had been smart to get a 10 year old company. BBB certified, Web Assured and asking about it through this forum and others! Freaking $3500 for 4 year (from date of purchase) and 100K miles that I may or may not get some of my money back (who knows when) from the State of Hawaii who has shut down one of the few companies that would do an extended warranty on a Cayenne. I uncovered a problem a couple of weeks ago when my dealer called to try and start to file a claim on my glovebox lock becoming inoperable. After most of last week, trying to track down the problems (and the website still happily taking money from others), I found out that this was probably going to be forced to stop selling ext. warranties and be shut down. I would have posted earlier but the whole deal was in limbo and they were evasive until today! BBB, State of Hawaii, and Web-Assured all said that it was an investigation over Ebay 1 month warranties that had a bad claim record. The website for filing a claim for a refund (if any) is http://www.hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins...ns/primeguard/.

Lewis --- pass the Kool-aid LOTS of adult additive please!

Last edited by MadFox; 12-28-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, MadFox.

I gotta say that stuff like this has BMW standing tall. It also makes sense for early adopters to lease.

Could that be a caualty loss subject to write off?

Good luck with the Pepper.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:03 PM
JARO
Pro

s..t!!! man! I guess it is off to Porsche dealer to get one....or just trade out of it and get a BMW...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torags
Could that be a caualty loss subject to write off?
With a 10% of Adjusted Gross Income threshold, let's hope not...... for Madfox's sake.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
s..t!!! man! I guess it is off to Porsche dealer to get one....or just trade out of it and get a BMW...
My dealer's ext. warr. company was outrageously expensive for 100K miles.. like $6-7000 (duh! maybe not outrageous?!). It is 3rd party also, so in some ways, they could end up like this company. The positive I guess is that the dealer could be forced into a refund or doing something since they sold it to you... but, that could get tough legally if the dealer made a representation that they were not the provider and you sign off on that (other than they do get a commission, which actually probably does put them into a legal corner).

I talked with the GM at the dealer last week when I was tracking this a'hole company down and PAG will not sell you a CPO... i.e. you can't have a clean record and say okay I'll pay Porsche to extend it via CPO. All you could, in theory, do is sell it to the dealer.. have him CPO it and then buy it back.. Yeah... RIGHT?! I am at a loss right now what to do.. there is a part of me that thinks most of the glitches have been fixed.. but then there is the part of me that says.. $$$ huge repair on some dumb PAG oversight at 75K miles or so... To go buy another warranty seems.. well... stupider than the first time!! and, it may be years on this liquidation of the warranty company... I already read the court document from Hawaii Dept of Commerce.. fees for attorneys, fees to sell assets.. blah blah blah.. so they do this to protect the consumer and then bleed the company dry in the process of protecting "us" by selling assets.. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Where's that da*n Kool-Aid anyhow?

Uh-hum, lastly, to Shamus' point.. I pay LOTS of taxes... but one good thing this was purchased through my holding company before taxes!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear that Madfox..
Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
By any chance did you pay for the extended warranty on an AMEX card?
I normally put all of my purchases on my AMEX, as they have been pretty good at resolving most issues.

Call your state Atty General's Office and ask about class action filings, etc. You might recover a percentage.

Very sorry to hear the news.....but owning/driving a Cayenne "commando style" kind of grows on you after a while.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:41 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
By any chance did you pay for the extended warranty on an AMEX card?
Yes.. But, I don't think they can do a thing with the State of Hawaii seizing the entire company. I intend to at least call the claims folks.
Originally Posted by ltc
I normally put all of my purchases on my AMEX, as they have been pretty good at resolving most issues.
I do too.. really awesome when you buy something overseas -- it breaks on the way home -- and it is insured on a Platinum card and can be replaced, free!
Originally Posted by ltc
Call your state Atty General's Office and ask about class action filings, etc. You might recover a percentage. Very sorry to hear the news.....
I am going to look at all remedies but this is probably something akin to peeing upwind!
Originally Posted by ltc
but owning/driving a Cayenne "commando style" kind of grows on you after a while.
I remember my "commando" days but that was when I was young and foolish and ..... (let's not get x rated!).
I don't know if I'm going to like this or not. Guess I'll see for awhile and now I may seriously consider just getting a 997 with a big freaking RMS problem! Thanks for the Kool-Aid.. adult additive in there, right?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
I do too.. really awesome when you buy something overseas -- it breaks on the way home -- and it is insured on a Platinum card and can be replaced, free!:
And Platinum Card will double the length your manufacturer's warranty on most purchases as well IIRC.

I don't know if I'm going to like this or not. Guess I'll see for awhile and now I may seriously consider just getting a 997 with a big freaking RMS problem!
As I mentioned previously, you might be better off with a 996 (GT1 derived block) Turbo Cab with a 6/100 Porsche CPO as opposed to a new 997 Cab....for many reasons (reliabliity, warranty, depreciation, etc)

Thanks for the Kool-Aid.. adult additive in there, right?
Of course, and right after reading this post, I wrote you a XMAS card (Kris Kringle sues PCNA) just to try and cheer you up a bit!
Old 12-24-2005, 07:08 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

So this means that the 1SourceExtendedWarranty.com (Extended Warranty on my CS) is now Void? Lost my $3,380.00 paid 1/04?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

OK, suffice it to say that there are going to be LOTS of Certified Pre Owned Cayennes in the future, as it looks like no one will be keeping theirs without a warranty......except me.

It's likely most people (who can't do a lease due to yearly mileage or other reasons) will be buying the car for the length of the warranty, then trading it in for a new one, or perhaps picking up a CPO 6yr/100K Cayenne?

I wonder if there are other vehicles in the same category as the Cayenne that are 'undesirable'?

I guess those quality scores that everyone said didn't matter actually DO matter after all.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:50 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljugete
So this means that the 1SourceExtendedWarranty.com (Extended Warranty on my CS) is now Void? Lost my $3,380.00 paid 1/04?
Most Likely Yes. I suppose that we could get some money back. I've filed with WebAssured which supposedly covers this for $200 per incident. The company is being liquidated through the Hawaii Dept. of Commerce and a state court (see the links at the top of the thread) and what I read through looks like a bankruptcy proceeding.. so I'm not going to hold my breath that we will get much of a refund.. but HOPE springs eternal -- especially around Christmas! In the meantime, come, drink the Kool-Aid.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:43 AM
moto one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have an extended warrenty 6/100 on our Audi allroads, that went out of busness just when we needed it, but to our dealers credit, they stepped up and covered the repairs and have since found a different company to underwrite the warrentys.

If your dealer was the agent for the warrenty co. they may have some responsiblity.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Im in the same boat, let me know what you come up with, Im currently filing a claim with AMEX as well.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I bought mine with Mastercard (Paid over 10 months in 2004). I doubt they could do anything now though. I will call them anyhow to ask.

Quick Reply: Ext. Warr. CAUTION! Buyer Beware. Update with Claims Email Address