Sponsored by:

iPod and FM Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:01 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod and FM Transmitter

I searched the archives... but still didn't walk away with a definitive answer... so here goes:

I'm considering the purchase of an iPod, but before I do, I'd like to know how well an FM transmitter (i.e. like iTrip or a Griffin unit) works. What has been your experience with one? Static? Sound quality?

I'm more interested in using this setup for convenience, more so than audio perfection. (Keep in mind that I only have the basic non-Bose radio/CD player in my V6, so I am not getting fantastic sound quality right now anyway.)

So... if it works okay and sounds decent (i.e. comparable to an FM broadcast), then that's fine with me for now. Would this setup be adequate for my needs? Or should I not waste my money?

Any other suggesions relative to using an iPod in the Cayenne i.e. where do you place it? Do you use a cigarette lighter plug-in mount, and if so, how do you like it? Do you use the plug in the ashtray, or one of the two in the passenger side footwell?

Thanks.

P.S. I am also hoping that it works sufficiently... because then we'll use it in our Odyssey as well. (Anyone got experience using one in something other than a Cayenne?)
Old 12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would suggest copying Mudman's hardwired FM modulator install.....just substitute the word 'iPod' for 'Satellite Radio'.....they're all just line level audio sources anyways.

A hardwired FM modulator (one that goes in line/ in between the vehicle antenna and the headunit's antenna input) will yield MUCH better results than an FM transmitter (especially given the RF 'design' of the Cayenne).
The FM modulator will have an analog input for your iPod....you merely need to buy the appropriate adapter/cable for your iPod.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I use the the iTrip in eager anticipation of upgrading to a much promised Dennison interface for the ipod. The reception is comparable to FM (i.e. some static). I can manage for now but come spring if Denison has not come through then I will go with a modulator.............
Currently use the Kuda mount for the iPod. Easy to get "it" off e-bay.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blade-MD
...in eager anticipation of upgrading to a much promised Dennison interface for the ipod....I can manage for now but come spring if Denison has not come through then I will go with a modulator......
Dont' rush Densionusa.....any day now.......
Old 12-18-2005, 09:53 AM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

I use the itrip and have an FM modulated Sirius receiver. Each has its benefits. The FM modulator doesn't have any static, but I haven't been impressed with the sound/dynamic range. The itrip is just the opposite, with much better sound, but issues with noise, mostly during low level music (forget classical) or between songs. The itrip is also placement dependent - I used to leave it in the console or on the seat, and the reception was terrible. It improved once I put in a dash mount. I'd probably start with an itrip (it's cheap, try ebay). If you're not happy, get the FM modulator.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:47 PM
JGriff
Racer

Default iTrip working fine... and TuneFlex coming soon!!

Just an update... I bought the iTrip... and it works fine. I have found it to put out a bit too much bass... so I had to adjust the sound on my radio... but otherwise, I am happy with it so far. (Although, it does drain the iPod Nano battery rather quickly... about 3 hours or less).

Also... I just learned that Griffin Technology has developed a flexible car charger that appears that it will work with the Nano and ITrip. I'll have to look into it some more, just to be sure (i.e. it says that it works with iTrip... but I'm not sure if it works with the iTrip for Nano). If it does fit... it will be perfect... just what I've been looking for!! They will start shipping in February.

Here's a link:

TuneFlex

Happy Motoring!!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,
The impression I get from your post is you want simplicity and the ability to take from one auto to the other. So FM modulator install is not what you are looking for.
I had the iTrip, and the DLO transmitter (DLO was vastly superior in signal strength and charges the iPod too).
I recently picked up the Monster FM transmitter with the iPod connector (not the one with a mini jack, this one won't charge your iPod). This enabled me to store the iPod in the glove box out of site and was more aesthetically pleasing b/c I do not have anything really protruding from my ashtray lighter other than a small, (black and aluminum colored, which matches my black and aluminum trim in my car) short, round plug and I ran the cable under the console into the glovebox and it is concealed. It can pull it out of the glove box far enough for me to hold the iPod and select whatever I want to listen to. It also can be removed within a minute or two to go into your other car.

Comp USA has them for around $69-$79 I think.

Good luck

P.S. You should buy an iPod regardless - 60gig 5G Video - sweet in black.

If you go with a DLO, they come in white, black and aluminum to best match your iPod and interior combination.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Kooser
Pro

(Anyone got experience using one in something other than a Cayenne?)
Yes, one buddy has a DLO in his Honda SUV works great, another in his Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 "Porsche Cayenne Turbo Killer" (nice ride by the way, good bang for the buck), and my wife uses the DLO in her VW, and it works well.

Here in Chicago and surrounding areas we have many radio stations which can potentially cause static

One thing that you can not get away from is that at loud volumes during quieter periods of music you can here a background hiss, which I am told sounds much like a non Dolby casette hiss, which pre-dates my audio involvement.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Kooser
Pro

Didn't follow the thread all of the way so i didn't catch that you got the iTrip already.
Dlo makes a unit which charges and cradles the Nano, small and looks nice too.

My $.02, return the iTrip and get a DLO or the monster setup.

Quick Reply: iPod and FM Transmitter