Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rome
L-- Thought I've seen you acknowledge elsewhere on this board that the newer models have been improved upon...I suppose that doesn't pertain to towing?
Yes, most of the bugs that early adopters (up thru 04) had to deal with have been corrected as rolling changes to production and a much more extensive set of dealer instructions at PDI.
As of this date, I have not been able to confirm that the 1D8 trailer option is any different from the previous 1D6 trailer option; with regards to the problems that myself, skl, JFScheck, thecleaner, AW, and other have had regarding trailer lighting and "!".
Originally Posted by rome
Anyway, sorry to hear about your heart-ache. I have a feeling your CS is not long for your garage and it will be a shame to lose you on this board if you decide to part ways with the guys in Lepzig.
Thanks for your sympathy and concern.

You are correct, the CS is likely not going to get to be around forever (I do not currently control exactly when the CS will be leaving), but I'll leave myself a reminder to post a 'good bye' thread when that day does come. Hopefully someone will post pictures of the celebration when I'm gone.

BTW, I don't work with the folks in Leipzig, only Weissach and Zuffenhausen.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:09 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm gonna sell out too i think....get into some BMW or something...and not a SUV
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

An M5 is almost always a good decision.
An Audi RS4 (coming to the USA!!!!!!!) is a NICE little car.

Not a big fan of MB products.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Not a big fan of MB products.
MB does an excellent job on the electronics integration and their user interface. I am trying to think of a vehicle where the manufacturer would have missed the mark on that target, had they not intentionally been pointing in the opposite direction. Anything come to mind?

So, when weighing future vehicle options, when faced with conforming or enjoying driving, I'll drive. They Cayman is 2nd on my list for future rides, the upcoming MB SLK63 AMG is 1st.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wingless
MB does an excellent job on the electronics integration and their user interface. I am trying to think of a vehicle where the manufacturer would have missed the mark on that target, had they not intentionally been pointing in the opposite direction. Anything come to mind?
Oh Wingless, you're hoping I take the bait, aren't you? Besides, it doesn't really matter, since all roads lead back to Becker headunits, don't they?

OK, I would say, BMW.....iDrive......Final Answer.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Oh Wingless, you're hoping I take the bait, aren't you?
Damn. Based on my experiences with German precision, my expectation is that an extensive specification exists that defines the convoluted UI within the PCM II. It would not surprise me to discover that there were many forces imploring Porsche to recant from the chosen path and allow a useful interface to have been created.

Am I getting warm?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Damn. Based on my experiences with German precision, my expectation is that an extensive specification exists that defines the convoluted UI within the PCM II. It would not surprise me to discover that there were many forces imploring Porsche to recant from the chosen path and allow a useful interface to have been created.

Am I getting warm?
Nope.....sorry. PCM3 looks an AWFUL lot like (current) PCM2.5
Don't give up hope just yet, we still have until 2008 or so.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, when weighing future vehicle options, when faced with conforming or enjoying driving, I'll drive. They Cayman is 2nd on my list for future rides, the upcoming MB SLK63 AMG is 1st.
I'll pick up the bait. My brides MBZ is waiting for a part within the Nav for 8 weeks. The claim is they (subcontractor) have to manufacture it. My question was.. THEY DIDN'T MAKE ANY SPARES? Their answer... No.

This is a 2005 car delivered in 3/05. MBZ has superior electronic integration? Not in my book.

As
Old 12-23-2005, 02:20 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torags
I'll pick up the bait. My brides MBZ is waiting for a part within the Nav for 8 weeks. The claim is they (subcontractor) have to manufacture it. My question was.. THEY DIDN'T MAKE ANY SPARES? Their answer... No.

This is a 2005 car delivered in 3/05. MBZ has superior electronic integration? Not in my book.

As
Isn't that a reliability issue and a business issue regarding stocking inventory?

Your patience is commendable and should be lauded for permitting them to repair the broken subassembly instead of replacing it with a working unit from inventory.

As far as the integration and UI go, which manufacturer permits using the NAV keypad to dial the telephone and which permits muting the NAV voice by pressing the mute button while it's talking, instead of drilling down through menus then changing the voice intensity? Just a coupla examples.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jumping in on the design of the MMI (man machine interfaces) of these NAV and other related car systems.

A problem which seems failry obvious to me based on my experience elsewhere, and I dont care which manufacturer your talking about, is the fact that the designers are either on paper or has the hardware on a test bench in front of them.

What that does is fool the engineer / software designer into really believing that their design works.

Move it 12 inches to the right or left and drop it 8 inches and its a different picture.

Engineers will argue that this is not true and that they are better than that. However by the time the car design is at a production ready state the pressure to complete the integration is on and these things slip through.

The Japanese recognise part of this and went straigtht to voice commands, with not much greater success, similar bad designs using touch screens exist.

The best MMI not to be used to good effect on the Cayenne is the stalk mounted control of the dash display ala Audi, works great, but is only designed for minimal use when driving, which is plain daft considering that looking down to the right is considered OK for driving.

A headsup display is whats required here coupled with decent voice recognition, and don't someone comeback with Honda/Acura and Toyota, they aren't very much better than nothing.

Of course this is my humble opinion.

Merry Christmas Everyone !!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Isn't that a reliability issue and a business issue regarding stocking inventory?

Your patience is commendable and should be lauded for permitting them to repair the broken subassembly instead of replacing it with a working unit from inventory.

As far as the integration and UI go, which manufacturer permits using the NAV keypad to dial the telephone and which permits muting the NAV voice by pressing the mute button while it's talking, instead of drilling down through menus then changing the voice intensity? Just a coupla examples.
Yes it is both business & reliability.

I can't take credit for patience. I'm going to sell the car as soon as I find an Jag XK8 (probably Jan) in a color my bride wants. I've had MBZs since '77 because they were reliable. If they are unreliable now - why not go with another unreliable marque, that the bride is in love with.

I never thought I would own another Jag after I swore up & down I wouldn't.

BTW, I tried to sell her on the Cayman (really hard), she said it was to manly. go figure...
Old 12-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

or put another way... I bought reliability, now I'm getting the business...

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Failure.....