Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate is the digital/analog speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone please run that thru Google translator and tell me what it means?
1. (pronounced “skeed”) To be drunk or high.

selling woof tickets
1. Trying to get someone to believe a falsity. Spreading lies.

perpetratin'
1. to imitate or try to be something you’re not.

PHD
1. An acronym/euphemism for "playa hata degree." A teacher or authority figure who seems to have something against “playas” or "gangster-like" students.

scrilla or scrill
1. n. money.

down low or DL
1. Secret, keep it a secret, not public information.

dub
1. 20 inch chrome rims or wheels (in my case Platinum to put a hurt on all the haters).....actually comes from double dime bags $10 + $10 a.k.a dub sack

ice
1. jewelry, usually just diamonds.

Not a Google translator but this should about do it.

BTW I guess Shamus could suggest now that my "handle" ought to be Wanksta

wanksta
1. a “wanna-be” gangsta

Dude isn't "handle" like a CB term, maybe you should be over here: www.cbhandle.com as opposed to here: http://cayenne.rennlist.com/cayenne/forum
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Definitely time for me to re-adjust my meds.....where's MadFox?
Pass the Kool-Aid... I have no idea what they said and frankly my dear I don't give a darn.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave the forum for two days and come back to this?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFScheck
so it's your fault!!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooser
So I am assuming that the speedometer is slightly off in its calibration...or...I was actually up to 173mph
Actually the ecu tuning from GIAC or techart says it will bypass 165limit, yours is stock? that one says 174 i think have to look for the info..
Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Shamus peep 'dis
I'm gonna flip it. Are you a hata? You MUST have a PHD - Playa Hata Degree.
Pleeease with that "poser" sheeit of yours all perpetratin like you was a wigga biatch outa Andover! I'm not tryin' to sell no woof tickets and I wasn't skied neitha at the time - just layin' out da facts.

Thanks
I think I need MEDS now.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Kooser
Pro

Mine is stock. I don't want to void my warranty at this point. Once my extended warranty is over@ 100,000 miles then I will add some mods, that is if I still own this truck or update it to a newer model.

My dealer suggested "adding another "computer unit" (whatever that means, I didn't get into specifics yet with them) which could have the GIAC mod on it, while retaining the original "computer unit". If there would be a mechanical problem the old original one could then be swapped back into the car and no one would be the wiser for warranty purposes." They quoted the cost for a replacement OEM unit at around $2200 and an additional $1999 for the GIAC mod. This would bring the HP up to the 500 range.

Is it even worth it? Point of diminishing returns? $4200 for 50 extra horses? Will I notice the difference? Has anyone else done just this GIAC mod and felt a significant improvement in acceleration etc.?

Could someone explain if this would actually work.
Thanks

"55 Saves Lives"
Old 12-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude isn't "handle" like a CB term, maybe you should be over here: www.cbhandle.com as opposed to here: http://cayenne.rennlist.com/cayenne/forum?

Right out of the Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=handle

When you call me Dude I assume you mean:
(p) Term of endearment as friend, chum, pal, brother.
or
(n) a skater/surfer/stoner

and not

(n) Ingrown **** Hair

BTW I wasn't suggesting you are a Poser just referring to another thread.

Are you hanging down by the Fox River? Does it still smell like a$$?

PS we have a Christmas Tree
Old 12-02-2005, 09:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just calculate the exact speed by using the engine speed , gear ratio, final gear ratio and tire size. You will find the speed to be much less that what you are reporting. Like...10% less. And, just where to you attempt those type of speeds on 88 near Chicago? Must be way the hell out by Dekalb.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Kooser
Pro

Are you hanging down by the Fox River? Does it still smell like a$$?

PS we have a Christmas Tree
It is way too cold here currently for any of the beautiful aromas to rise off of the Fox river - but there is more to it than just a$$. I do get overwhelmed sometimes in the summer on certain days when I am around Geneva/St. Charles and the smell coming off of the Fox river reminds me of musty vaginosis with a hint of feces from a rectovaginal fistula. Ahh, brings back memories!

I'm not sure you are being too P.C. when you say you are putting up a Christmas Tree. Now you are going to ignite more controversy about Christmas, oh, I'm sorry. I mean the "holiday formerly known as Christmas" even though it celebrates the birth of Christ and embodies the spirit of giving. Kinda, sorta, like when Prince was known as "the artist formerly known as Prince."
God I love tangents. Oh, I'm sorry, I mean "all omnipotent one/creator" I love tangents.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Kooser
Pro

And, just where to you attempt those type of speeds on 88 near Chicago? Must be way the hell out by Dekalb.
Actually a touch further. You can't really exceed the speed limit too much around DeKalb on I-88 because of the state 5-0 hanging around N.I.U.'s exits. The K-40 Calibre system is great, they will stand behind their product and pay for my ticket....but, they wouldn't bail me out of jail!

But on the stretch between DeKalb and Rochelle you can open it up a little I don't find myself out this way too often, and I don't push my SUV to the max that often either, only lately now that the car is sufficiently broken in. Actually, I am probably not going to repeat this reckless behavior - there are no level 1 trauma centers close enough and the morgues are very dated out there!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Yup......welcome back.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by philg3
BTW, BMW's in the US market deliberately overstate their speed by about 5MPH. I was told that by BMW HQ when I discovered my previous X5 was off. According to HQ, they were doing their customers a favor to reduce instances of speeding tickets. I was so pissed.
This is a well known issue in BMW circles..."they all do that" and it's not limited to the X5--they all REALLY do that. BMW NA, however, is not doing this "for their customers"...more like "for their lawyers" With the exception of the M-cars, most BMWs come with undersized rubber. Before they switched the speedo calibration, issues arose when folks replaced stock tires with aftermarket +1 or +2 wheels and larger rubber. In those cases, they were reading slower on the speedo than the owner was actually driving. BMW NA got tired of dealing with lawsuits over their speedo's reading slower than bozos with larger wheels and tires were actually going (and getting speeding tickets for), hence the 5mph "margin".

BMW's inaccurate speedo is akin to Cayenne's low fuel light coming on with almost a quarter tank left. As Roseann Roseannadanna used to say "...it's always something..."
Old 12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
TimC.
Racer

2 questions:

1) How long did it take to get up to that speed? Thats got to be a wild ride....I got my wifes Boxster up to 125mph on a pin straight road one time early in the morning...and that was enough for me.

2) I always wondered this...What do you think would happen if around 40-60 you just ripped the steering wheel to the right as hard and fast as you could...like in the movies...do you think since this thing is so heavy it would just spin a few times??? Or are we going "*** over teakettle" like 20 times before landing on the roof
Old 12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Kooser
Pro

2 questions:

1) How long did it take to get up to that speed? Thats got to be a wild ride....I got my wifes Boxster up to 125mph on a pin straight road one time early in the morning...and that was enough for me.

2) I always wondered this...What do you think would happen if around 40-60 you just ripped the steering wheel to the right as hard and fast as you could...like in the movies...do you think since this thing is so heavy it would just spin a few times??? Or are we going "*** over teakettle" like 20 times before landing on the roof

1) Not sure how long, I was trying to top out and I didn't care how long this time around.

2) Wonder no longer--- I dumped about 5,000 gallons of Crisco on the highway yesterday and I'll be damned--- I spun round and round about 45 times. Good thing that I have G-force training.
I suggest you try this too but rip your steering wheel to the left.

Quick Reply: How accurate is the digital/analog speedometer?