Sponsored by:

Driver display defaulting to avg. speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:23 AM
beemaze
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver display defaulting to avg. speed

I recently had to have the comfort module replaced because I could no longer set the horn to beep on locking. Now, I can't get the driver display to stay where I leave it. When I restart the vehicle, I get the avg. speed displayed. Anyone know if there is something wrong or am I forgetting to set something? I looked in the manual, but couldn't find a thing. I don't feel like taking it back to the dealer for this one minor annoyance. It's been a relatively pain free experience for the past 2 years!!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Average Speed Display

Hello,
I questioned my dealership's service department just recently, regarding your very topic, when they picked up my car to sort out a few "electrical bugs." At first they said that they would correct it. Then, when they returned the car to me, they told me that the system defaults to the average speed - and this is normal. I don't understand why we are all forced to see the average speed we have driven. I would rather be at the "main menu" display.

The coolest default display for Porsche to create for me would be "Top Speed", just like "Top Score" on video games. This way I would always be tempted to push the envelope and beat my "score" on a daily basis - early in the morning on the open highways.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a question out of curiosity.....was your display remaining on what you left it on prior to it's replavement?

Mine always defaulted to average speed.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:44 AM
426H
Advanced

I'm sure you can choose what to display when you start, and there is also an option to leave it where it was last time. Don't remember how to setup this tho. Please check your manual again!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 426H
I'm sure you can choose what to display when you start, and there is also an option to leave it where it was last time.
I dont' believe so
Originally Posted by 426H
Please check your manual again!
Don't bother, it's not in there.

For those who want an explanation, please read on.
For everyone else, have a glass of Purplesaurus Rex and enjoy your Cayennes.

As has often become the story behind the Cayenne (brief pause while I get a few more drips of meds from the IV), the vehicle was "continuously developed" as it was busy producing profit for PAG....why else do you think they built it? Because Porsche owners asked for it? Sorry, I got off track a bit.......

In this specific case, the first set of instrument cluster assemblies (~20K or so) had a funny little feature, which no one apparently noticed, whereby it's internal micro would reset the display to (avg mph) everytime you started the car (battery drops, reinitialization occurs).

Unfortunatley for the owners there were 2 problems:
1. It was NOT something which could be fixed wtih PIWIS (software update)
2. It was not described/featured/explained in the manual.

The second point is important, since due to that fact PAG/PCNA is under NO obligation to fix it (replace the instrument panel/cluster.....== big $$ for them) since it's not really "broken".

Strange, since after "discovered", all new(er) Cayennes (no I don't know the exact cutoff date) will leave the display EXACTLY where you left it....huh, imagine that.
It would be simple for a Cayenne owner to post a poll here in the forum and ask: "Does your display stay where you left it or default to 'avg mph'" and reply with your Cayennes date of manufacture.

I'm afraid the standard Cayenne answer applies "learn to live with it!"
Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 PM
chrisoutzen
Advanced

On my 2006 Cayenne Turbo at start-up display shows what was displayed when the truck was turned-off. Also there is no "Top Speed" display mode..
Old 11-21-2005, 03:15 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2005 truck will "normally' show the past setting (tire pressure for me) when I start the truck..... but sometimes it shows whatever it damn well pleases to show with no owner input!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Strange...... new(er) Cayennes (no I don't know the exact cutoff date) will leave the display EXACTLY where you left it....huh, imagine that.
It would be simple for a Cayenne owner to post a poll here in the forum and ask: "Does your display stay where you left it or default to 'avg mph'" and reply with your Cayennes date of manufacture. I'm afraid the standard Cayenne answer applies "learn to live with it!"
I have a 4/03 build date '04 S.. for grins and giggles, I checked at lunch today.. the default is "where I left it". i.e. if on tyre pressure upon shutdown .. it is there on start-up.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM
426H
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
I dont' believe so
I know YOU can't, since your display alwalys says ! CHECK TRAILER LIGHTS !

Originally Posted by ltc
Don't bother, it's not in there.
I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that you could choose what will be displayed when you start the truck. After checking my manual again, I believe I mixed up the display in the instrument cluster with the PCM display.

My truck (early '05) show past setting when I start.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kooser
Just a question out of curiosity.....was your display remaining on what you left it on prior to it's replavement?

Mine always defaulted to average speed.
Yes, my display actually was remaining where I left it PRIOR to replacement of the comfort module. That's why I started this thread.

Also, my build date is approx May '03. So it's an earlier model. I believe it has something to do with how the comfort module is programmed, since this all happenned AFTER it was replaced.

Quick Reply: Driver display defaulting to avg. speed