Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The notorious seat belt fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005 | 10:00 AM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Default The notorious seat belt fix

(Yes I am aware that there is a thread on this subject.)

After receiving its first service, my CS returned with the notorious seat belt recall fix despite asking my service manager NOT to execute it. We know why (PCNA wont pay other stuff etc etc). but the question now is how to remove them?

The old thread no longer links to the pics but I think the fix may have changed from then. I have 2 large full metal plates installed on the seat belts. They rattle and look like they belong in a late 70's Morris. I don't see how the technique for removal described in the thread would work, there is no way the attachment plate of the belt will fit through those slots.

So what is the trick? Hacksaw? lot of sawing but worth it I would think.

thanks for your $.02
Old 11-13-2005 | 10:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You don't need a hacksaw.....not for the A506 'cowboy belt buckle' seat belt 'fixes' anyways........

At the top and bottom of each A506 device is a small black plastic 'clip'. This clip covers a slot where the belt was initially threaded.

Step 1.
Loosen the belt in the A506 device enough to expose the black plastic clip at either the top or bottom. A 1/4'-1/2" is more than enough.
Step 2.
Break the black plastic clip which should now be visible. I did this by inserting a flat bladed screwdriver between the black clip and A506 metal part and simply rotated the screwdriver a few times until the black plastic piece fatigued and broke. You can also do this with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Step 3.
Repeat for the black plastic clip on the opposite side of the A506 device. Should take 5-10 minutes.
Step 4. This is the most important part.
Send both A506 'cowboy belt buckles' to the following address:

Peter Schwarzenbauer, PCNA President and CEO
Porsche Cars North America
980 Hammond Drive
Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328
(800) 767-7243

Please tell him they are a gift from Lewis and to put them with the others he has received in the mail. Yes, Peter does indeed know me better than most Porsche owners....as does his legal staff.

BTW, I believe this is the orignal thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/211682-unacceptable-sorry-for-the-bad-pics.html

Best of luck....this reply will self destruct in 5 seconds....
Old 11-13-2005 | 11:29 AM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Thanks Lewis,

they will be off this afternoon and on their way with my scathing letter as well as compliments of Lewis attached.

Who in their right mind does not attach child seats using the LATCH system nowadays? (I understand that this "fix" was to prevent seat belt slippage with car seat restraints)....sheesh even FoMoCo and Dodge can get this right.

on the bright side (hah) I was just rear-ended by a brand new 3 series. A few scratches and bent tailpipe...the bimmer had a scrapped front end..metal pushed back straight to the wheels. I drove away, the bimmer left on a flatbed.
No doubt the Porsche parts will set her insurance back a few K at least.
Old 11-13-2005 | 12:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

The only "problem" after doing this is that they also removed the little plastic circle that keeps the male belt end from falling down into the seat so it tends to fall into the crack in the seat. No big deal and a hell of lot better than the stupid buckle itself. I have to send a letter to Peter about another "issue" but don't think I'll include the buckles with it....
Old 11-13-2005 | 07:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DutchCS
on the bright side (hah) I was just rear-ended by a brand new 3 series. A few scratches and bent tailpipe...the bimmer had a scrapped front end..metal pushed back straight to the wheels. I drove away, the bimmer left on a flatbed.
No doubt the Porsche parts will set her insurance back a few K at least.
Sorry to hear about your incident.
Sounds like a good opportunity to upgrade to some Tequipment turbo tips and new lower valence?

Quick Reply: The notorious seat belt fix