Sponsored by:

Got my first "!" today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my first "!" today...

...turned out it was only the "low fuel warning". I know that may seem like a taunt, Lewis, but you'll be comforted to know that after driving around for awhile with the "!" illuminated, I had daydreams that I was towing my BudgetM3 to the track. You may also be interested to know that I was quite anxious as to whether or not it would turn off when I refueled...it did!

Interesting that when it came on, the fuel guage still read almost 1/4 full...but the thing kept beeping at me like this was something urgent. The computer said "95 miles left on tank"...so I drove another 30 miles or so keeping careful watch on both the guage and the computer. Guage barely moved (as you would expect)...computer slowly counted down in 5mpg increments to about "55 miles left on tank"....so I pull into the nearest Chevron and fill the tank.... Imagine my surprise when it only took a little more than 21 gallons. That means the guage was (relatively) correct, and at the 1/8 full mark, I still had a little over 3 gallons in there. With my V6, that means the computer was pretty much spot on given my mileage has been aournd 17-18mpg. So by my guesstimate, the low fuel warning comes on with about 5 gallons left and almost 1/4 full tank. Who is the couch potato that decided this should be considered "low fuel" and we should program an annoying beep to alert the driver? My guess is they reused the same section of software code for all models and always assume you are driving a turbo at top speed on the autobahn to the tune of 8mpg (worst case mpg)....now that is just plain lazy
Old 11-12-2005, 01:28 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the "!" club, even if it were for a limited time
Old 11-12-2005, 08:20 AM
thecleaner
Instructor

Welcome and God Knows you will see more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Budget M3
I know that may seem like a taunt, Lewis, but you'll be comforted to know that after driving around for awhile with the "!" illuminated, I had daydreams that I was towing my BudgetM3 to the track.
Taunt? Me? Whatever would make you think that? Please, tell me more about this alleged "!" you speak of......

You may also be interested to know that I was quite anxious as to whether or not it would turn off when I refueled...it did!
Anxious? How about this for anxious........
3:30AM, yes it's VERY dark, tooling down the MA Turnpike doing 70 or so, BiXenons happily illuminating the way, Cup car safely snuggled in its plushly appointed enclosed car hauler, "!" brightly lighting the way in a manner similar to Rudolph the Red Nose Raindeer's nose, when......are you ready for this......
the "!" goes off.
Yes, my prayers have been answered. The Cayenne is healed! Can I get an Amen?
No, wait, that's funny, did the moon suddenly go behind a cloud or something? Why it is all of a sudden REALLY dark?
Hey, where are my trailer lights....and for that matter, where are my headlights?
I'll skip the 'expletives' which ensued, spoken in German, Greek, just about any language available and the part about the 2 MagLite flashlights, the racer's tape and the grafting of these devices to the vehicle and the looks you get when you pull into the paddock at 6AM.
Of course, if this only happened once, you might be able to deal with it, but 3 times....well, let's just say after that you suddenly find yourself at a "vacation villa" in very tight fitting clothing.

"!" for Please Refuel Now.......Rookie.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by thecleaner
Welcome and God Knows you will see more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think "God" had anything to do with the Cayenne......think Al Pacino in the 'Devil's Advocate' and you're there.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
3:30AM, yes it's VERY dark, tooling down the MA Turnpike doing 70 or so,
Now see...even with a trailer, that could be your problem right there.....driving far too slow for an all but empty Mass Pike.....

Originally Posted by ltc
"!" for Please Refuel Now.......Rookie.
No hazing, please...I was not a first round draft pick with a 7-figure signing bonus....
Old 11-12-2005, 11:25 AM
thecleaner
Instructor

No hazing, please...I was not a first round draft pick with a 7-figure signing bonus....[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, Lewis is just getting warmed up!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No hazing, please...I was not a first round draft pick with a 7-figure signing bonus....
My apologies, I should have been more specific....

CAYENNE Rookie......
Old 11-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
My apologies, I should have been more specific....

CAYENNE Rookie......
Ahhh....but you see, I was at least smart enough to avoid PCM on my CAYENNE... which seems to be the source of MOST folks electrical problems....
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ahhh....but you see, I was at least smart enough to avoid PCM on my CAYENNE... which seems to be the source of MOST folks electrical problems....
OK, first the "!" and now "MOST"
Living on the edge I see. I can come off my meds you know.

Re: PCM. I would suggest you send all complaints to Harmon/Becker, as they are the makers of the MOST headunits.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:31 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, first the "!" and now "MOST"
Living on the edge I see. I can come off my meds you know.

Re: PCM. I would suggest you send all complaints to Harmon/Becker, as they are the makers of the MOST headunits.
Please, please Ltc don't come off the meds.... it seems when you do that Lew-zilla lurks on turnpikes at night... Be afraid..... very afraid..
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Please, please Ltc don't come off the meds.... it seems when you do that Lew-zilla lurks on turnpikes at night... Be afraid..... very afraid..
Lew-zilla is only one of my many, many multiple personalities.
Besides, I can't come off the meds anymore....they're now administering them via IV....damn.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ahhh, by the way (before the meds make me sleepy again).....

Smart enough to avoid PCM and yet NOT smart enough to avoid the rest of the Cayenne.

Enjoy
Old 11-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Smart enough to avoid PCM and yet NOT smart enough to avoid the rest of the Cayenne.
Yeah, but I got it to replace an '01 X5 which was far worse...you think you have issues with the Cayenne...the X5 climate control was POSSESSED...a constant -40F readout in Tucson, AZ...replaced/repaired twice and still would not run the A/C compressor and thought I wanted HOT air from the vents when it was 100F outside...not to mention two window regulators...front tie rods worn out at 60k miles...leaking A/C valves...inoperative rear climate control...peeling paint on interior door handles...cracking wood trim on console and dash...door seals falling off...prematurely blown headlight and directional bulbs...transmission worn out at 66K miles...two transmission "software updates"... need I go on?

I am a longtime BMW enthusiast as well, and to say I was disappointed in the X5 build quality would be an understatement. Granted, it had never stranded me in 12 months of ownership, but it was just a matter of time before that happened and I was required to join you at the "vacation villa". I am happy to say that no meds are required at this time

Originally Posted by ltc

Enjoy
Cheers
Old 11-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I had my pepper in for service today and asked about the gas warning coming on at 1/4. The reply I got was that it was operating properly. The light comes on with 4 gallons (15 Litres) remaining. Tank holds 26 Gallons (100 Litres).

Now I may be a little slow at math, but it seems to me that the light should appear just north of 1/8th - 0.6 quarters to be precise. Well after years of trying to get my 968 to read 8/8ths (including trying to file her with a turkey baster). I guess I'll take it on the other end with the pepper.

Quick Reply: Got my first "!" today...