Sponsored by:

Replacing taillight bulb - mainly removing taillight unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
blained
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing taillight bulb - mainly removing taillight unit

I've got the little plugs out and removed the hex bolts, but am leery of pulling (or eekk! prying) any more on the unit without some reassurance from other members. It seems the little ball-post or whatever is either holding the unit in pretty d__n well, or there's another bolt to loosen that the user's manual doesn't mention. The manual also mentions in bold in the direction of the arrow but the main arrow they show is where the ball-post is pulling out, so not sure - am I supposed to hook something into the outer corner of the taillight and pull out from THERE?

Thanks for any help, I hate getting stumped by a little procedure like this, but knowing the fragility of old tail lenses on things like 911's, I'm loath to apply too much force on anything this first time.

Thanks,
Blaine
Old 10-30-2005, 07:09 PM
blained
Track Day

p.s. It's an '05 Cayenne S, in case there were any changes in the first couple years...

Thanks again,
Blaine
Old 10-30-2005, 08:29 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ball head holding the head light in is metal and is very sturdy, so unless you pull at a really awkward angle, youll be ok. I've never seen or heard of one breaking. As long as you removed the two allen screws you should be able to yank it out.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard of many cracking the tail light unit, the main thing is not to apply to much force in the wrong way.

The ball/socket is about 1/3rd the distance from the top, use a leather glove to protect the paint and a 9 inch flat bladed driver for leverage.

After removing the torx screws hold the tail light and insert the driver 1/3rd the way down using the leather glove (or equivelant) and lean against the driver handle with firm but smooth force, do not rock the driver. The socket is made of plastice and will release if steady force is applied. To much WILL crack it.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
blained
Track Day

Default Thanks

Yep, just took some prying with the fingers and then it popped off, but it sure was a scary sound when it did. I warned my wife she might be hearing some choice words from the garage beforehand though. All is well now, except the bulb seems to be just SLIGHTLY different from the ones I have for older vehicles *sigh*, so it's down the street to AutoZone tomorrow morning...

Blaine

Quick Reply: Replacing taillight bulb - mainly removing taillight unit