Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call me crazy, how about a Ipod to Satelite Radio transmitter? Anyone follow me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:49 PM
jacky168
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call me crazy, how about a Ipod to Satelite Radio transmitter? Anyone follow me?

After trying 10 different kind of FM transmitter with my Ipod, I was so disappointed with all of them. So out of nowhere, with limited computer and digital radio background, I was thinking, currently only XM and Sirrus radio can truely receive digital music singal and text messages. Is it possible to create a simple device to transmit ipod (or mp3) music to satelite radio signal, so our XM or Sirrus radio can receive it and play it digitally, there won't any statics or any distortions. And at the same time, it might be able to transmit the song's title, too.
Personally, I think the satelite company have to play a roll here, too, they might have to reserve a channel for this purpose, and our devices will use this channel to braodcast songs in our cars.
I bet there are people on this board who works for satelite radio company, and know how the broadcasting works. I am willing to invest a small amount of money to have this device made if it is technically possible. (Since I have lots of resources to third world engineers.). I am so fed up with delays of those advanced adaptors. Let us see if we can make this concept work. I don't think it is tough at all.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Technically possible: Yes
Potential issues: FCC licensing/approval to transmit on that part of the spectrum from a terrestrial source. Licensing from the satellite provider for the encryption and channel assignment.

There are other (perhaps simpler) ways to solve your problem:

1. producing a modified (MOST) CDChanger with an analog/line level MP3 input, essentially using it to transfer your MP3 content over the MOST network for you (and thus be recognized by default by the headunit).

2. just simply do what Densionusa has been unable to accomplish to date ....rookies (technically a simple task as well); you would merely have to join the MOST Cooperation, pay membership/licensing fees and get the cooperation of Becker (only MOST headunit supplier currently) and/or the targeted OEM (Porsche, Audi, DaimlerChrysler), as each OEM has proprietary protocol extentions....this would prove more challenging than the technical aspect of the $25 adapter design.

Ciao,
Old 10-29-2005, 10:48 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Like ltc said...technically- yes; realistically- no. What you've suggested is topically straightforward, but spend 2 minutes and begin to write down the actual 'how' to go about it, and it's not a realistic solution.

If you've already bought an FM modulator, just modify that- a much simpler approach than designing or buying a satellite solution. If you have one that has it's own power source (i.e. batteries or cigarette charger), then just drive the radio's transmit a bit harder. If they used a discrete design of sorts, then it's probably as easy as using a smaller resister on the emitter leg of the transistor. If they used an IC for the radio, there is probably still external components to accomplish the same. If it's a completely integrated design (all contained within a chip and no external radio components)...you're screwed. Anyway, you'll need a decent soldering iron (I prefer two), a digital multimeter and that's about it. You can buy replacement parts at (www.digikey.com)...probably cost you a total far less than $1.00.

(hmmm....actually a much simpler solution perhaps is just to bypass and improve on the antenna they have within your FM modulator. I'd bet most are using a printed antenna. You could cut the trace feeding that antenna and make one yourself that would work much better. If you decide to get rowdy with it, tell me which FM modulator you're using and PM me...I'll help you. I have a Griffin FM Modulator...if you have a different one, I'll need to either buy one or have some good pictures from you to help.)

-matt
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Kenwood Sirius setup I have has a pretty good FM modulator and the sat reciever has an aux box for a second input.

I am going to try the new bluetooth adapter for ipod to remove the visible wiring.

Lewis, why dont you just send me a birthday present no questions asked.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomias33
If you have one that has it's own power source (i.e. batteries or cigarette charger), then just drive the radio's transmit a bit harder. -matt
And then watch the look on people's faces drving next to you as they get to listen to your MP3 player!

BTW, Matt, based on your sig, congratulations on what appears to be a deposit on a Panamera. I didn't think the V10TT was confirmed yet; I'm still waiting to see if AWD and the V8 is approved.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:14 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

BTW, Matt, based on your sig, congratulations on what appears to be a deposit on a Panamera. I didn't think the V10TT was confirmed yet; I'm still waiting to see if AWD and the V8 is approved.
I don't have a deposit down, just seeing if anyone noticed . I love my family dearly, but with 3 kids I'm definitely perpetuating the blasphemy that is 4-door Porsches by buying them. I have to tell you though, it's fun to have a cheering section in the backseat when I accelerate - 2 girls (3 and 1) and 1 boy (6 years old). Love the squeels!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:23 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

BTW- I just popped open my Griffen- if the internals of other devices are as basic this one- It wouldn't be hard at all to pump the power and improve your reception. Regretfully, mine is fed from the Ipod and I fall in the batch of Ipod's whose batteries are the cause of the class action lawsuit.

Quick Reply: Call me crazy, how about a Ipod to Satelite Radio transmitter? Anyone follow me?