Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage S... should I run away???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage S... should I run away???

So I have been searching for an "S" with PASM, NAV, heated seats, tow, in the color combo I want. I finally found one, at a stealer no less, but it has over 50k miles on it. So what is the prevailing wisdom of this group: run away as fast as I can or run to the deal as fast as I can?

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2005, 10:30 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

With no warranty I'd take a pass unless you get one hell of a deal, or you can get an extended warranty with it as it is from a dealer... keep looking as there should be some out there with less miles.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I find it interesting that there has NOT been any issues (that I know of) with the engine.

Lest we forget: this was a new engine with new metalurgy. This was the first Porsche block made of silicone impregnated aluminum (alusil). In contrast to MY99 blocks, that have a silicone web around the cylinder.

My S engine has been flawless. I would try and get a dealer history on the vin - I'm sure the electronics have been worked on, there were early mistakes (that have been resolved)

If the price is right don't be so fast to run...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Prevailing wisdom? Are you sure you've got the right website and/or forum?

I agree with Torags, the engine (which happens to be the ONLY Porsche part in the whole vehicle) has been fine. As for everything else.....well, the 'Search' function tells the tale.

If it's from a dealer, it is likely CPO, so it should have 6 yr/100K coverage, same coverage/service as initial factory warranty, so that's good.

There are a few of "us" who have over 50K, myself, MadFox....well, maybe we're not exactly your idea of Cayenne Poster Boys, but these things do go over 50K. (FWIW, I'm owning my Cayenne commando style ..no extended warranty...I figure if something major fails, it gives me an excuse to shoot it).

What year is the Cayenne? Your best bet is to not buy one produced before September 03 (for a couple of reasons).

You specifically mention PASM and Tow packages.
Please dear God you don't actually plan on towing with this..............

I also agree with skl. If it's a good price and CPO, I'd consider it.
What size T shirt to you want?

Best of luck,
Old 10-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

"What size T shirt to you want?"

Hehehehe...

What.... you're not buying first round of Koolaid?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:17 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Prevailing wisdom? Are you sure you've got the right website and/or forum? There are a few of "us" who have over 50K, myself, MadFox....well, maybe we're not exactly your idea of Cayenne Poster Boys, but these things do go over 50K.
What I not be the PAG classic model of a poster boy for the Cayenne? Was it the posts on 3 sets of tires shimmying until Road Force <10 at 36K miles? Or the ignition coils from hell post? New PCM? 5 sets of key fobs?

FYI, I took another trip.. and put 500 miles.. am out of the country for a week and then return to go to Pensacola for my son's Top Gun Soccer Tourney.. so another 700 miles probably.. I'll be approaching 56K after all of that.. Let's just say, I didn't go "commando".. but then, my luck is such that Murphy's law kicks in and I spend more on the ext. warranty and not one darn thing will go wrong in the next 4 years/50K miles! I would check the VIN history and if it has what you want... COME ON IN... the Kool-Aid is cool and the water is warm.. But really.. truly.. I do love my Cayenne.. but its a love-hate thing.. I hate that I love it!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 PM
curveraider
Racer

Just as an up date, I did not get the truck so the search continues... Thanks for your inputs.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:42 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

You should get a low mileage Cayenne, its not hard to find good deals on those cars, even on the brand new one. But do it after winter, its way cheaper
Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

I represent what seems like the minority on Rennlist. I'm on my third Cayenne -one S and two turbos with no problems that could not be fixed with one trip to the dealer. That said however I'm not sure I would want one out of warranty. Just too many things to potentially go wrong and none seem inexpensive to fix. With the prices of our peppers falling like they are you should be able to find a low mile vehicle with a warranty which would be my recommendation.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:59 PM
hamiam
Instructor

wow. arent you taking some huge hits for depreciation and the bid/ask spread when you but new and sell the old to the dealer? Im thinking my 2005 CS is depreciating at about $1200-$1500/month which makes me a little ill
Old 10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hamiam
wow. arent you taking some huge hits for depreciation and the bid/ask spread when you but new and sell the old to the dealer? Im thinking my 2005 CS is depreciating at about $1200-$1500/month which makes me a little ill
I'm on my 3rd cayenne also, that depreciation you mentioned is way off
Old 10-26-2005, 05:44 PM
hamiam
Instructor

i bot my 2005 CS new in Feb for $63k. MSRP was about $68K. I have 10k miles. I think I cud sell it privately for around $50k and alot less than that to a dealer. Am i off?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
curveraider
Racer

Just to put a little scare in the price drop issue, the CS I was looking at had 50k miles on it and they were asking $34k! This was a CPO from McKenna Porsche in the LA area. Needless to say the reason I did not get it was that it was already sold by the time I called
Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curveraider
Just to put a little scare in the price drop issue, the CS I was looking at had 50k miles on it and they were asking $34k! This was a CPO from McKenna Porsche in the LA area. Needless to say the reason I did not get it was that it was already sold by the time I called
That was a steal of a deal.. $34K with 4 more years on PAG warranty and 50K miles.. they were stupid -- surely they could have got $35K??????

Okay, I'm gonna get slammed by LTC but I honestly do not think that people are being rational about this... The price drop is because it is a SUV that gets in the teens gas-mileage wise and it is expensive to operate.. I see no reason for that but I was "chicken" (as LTC suggests) and did get an ext. warranty before they quit warranty-ing Porsche Cayennes and 911's. However, I'll bet (knowing my luck on this sort of thing) that the $3500 (no deduct) ext. warranty I bought will be more expensive than the warranty issues I have over the next 45K (I'm at 55K). Since I'm stuck in the forum for another 3 years.. I'll ask Mudman2 to dog-ear this post "ad infinitum" and we'll see how it goes? I really think this is hysteria and over-reaction.. and the market will settle out as the "glitch factor" works itself out as post-production feedback continues.. yeah yeah the purists still hate the Cayenne.... Still there are plenty of people that have had few problems and besides.. what do a lot of folks say.. these forums are full of the people that have problems or WORSE.. they ARE the problem (this forum's attendees being the notable exception ---- uh, sort of<@) He who shall not be named excluded because he's just so darn much fun<@
Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too early to tell how the Cayenne will fair after the warranty period ends...hmmm, if all the bugs were worked out (All TSB's) during warranty, then one could reasonably hope for a long life with her...I would ask for and examine the service records from the place he serviced the truck at...hopefully the same dealer.

Quick Reply: High mileage S... should I run away???