Roof Carrying System/ Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Roof Carrying System/ Squeak

To all:
I have the roof carrying system on my brand new (only 100 miles) '06 CS.

I am noticing an annoying squeak from the headline/moonroof area, which is especially noticeable at slow speeds with the moon roof closed or in the pop up position.

Dealer thinks it may be caused by roof carrying system and suggested I take it off to see if that solves the problem.

I am happy to try this...BUT... a really like the look and utility of the roof system (and paid good $$ for it). So, I am not so keen on the idea of having to take it off so eliminate interior noise that shouldn't be there to begin with. (Also, it really seems to me that it is an internal cabin noise which doesn't come from the outside roof rack).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it the roof carrying system that's the problem, and if so, is there another solution to eliminate this annoying squeak/rattle?

Thanks,
Rome
Old 10-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not had this problem with my Cay, but had similar symptoms with my '01 X5. In that case, the squeaking was caused by the moonroof seals drying out and vibrating against the body opening. The seals have such close tolerances and are so tight, that this is a common problem with BMWs, in general. BMW had a lubricant called Gummiflege (since discontinued) that greased the seals and made the sound go away.

Is the sound still there when your roof is open? If not, this may be your problem...try some silicone or other rubber lubricant (I think zymol makes really good stuff for this)

Last edited by Budget M3; 10-20-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:46 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I sold my roof carrying system the first month the wind noise is terrible.
I switch to yakima and now i have the Factory roof rails, and only install the crossbar when i need it

Quick Reply: Roof Carrying System/ Squeak