Seat Belt Chime

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:14 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt Chime

Just picked up new '06 CS this weekend.

Loving it, but the seat belt chime is driving me nuts. I usually do wear the seat belt, but sometimes I just don't want to click it in...e.g going short distance to store or around neighborhood. Dealer wouldn't disconnect the chime for me which rings if the belt is not clicked in. A guy at the dealer suggesting putting a blank in the seat belt recepticle, but that will interfer when I do want to wear it, which is most of the time.

I was hoping the manual would identify a fuse that I could disconnect to turn the chime off, but I didn't see anything in there.

Does anyone know how to turn the chime off. (I don't mind if the dash light stays on showing the belt is not clicked in, but the chime is making me crazy...should be my choice when to wear it).
Old 10-16-2005, 11:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/130261-annoying-seat-belt-beep.html
Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

thanks lewis...but no one really seems to have an answer in that thread...
this thing is driving me friggen nuts...
Old 10-17-2005, 12:20 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
thanks lewis...but no one really seems to have an answer in that thread...this thing is driving me friggen nuts...
IMHO no one in the forum is going to give you an or the "answer" either because they vehemently disagree with having a choice or because there isn't a way to do it that doesn't create another problem (airbag, deactivation of other components, etc.). I have an early '04 (build 4/03) and it chimes about 5 times and stops. Based on that thread and one on roadfly.org that is similar you have the following options:
1. Check Ebay or a junkyard and get one from a totaled Cayenne and plug the buckle in during the time you want to go beltless.
2. Buy a used early build S (I'm willing to do an "even" swap, ha!)
3. Good earplugs or really loud volume on the stereo
4. Buckle behind you.
5. Figure out on your own how to "trick" the system (Porsche will NOT help and it appears most in the forum don't want your spouse to sue them if you're killed based on their "support" of your deactivation.)
6. Wear the seatbelt.

ROME: Live Long and Prosper - whatever you decide. My .02 option 6 but I'm heavily influenced by a dead brother-in-law ejected when not wearing his.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

The thing drove me crazy too. Then, suddenly after about 9 months of ownership (about 2 months ago) it stopped chiming. The light still goes on, which is fine, but no more noise. I can't figure it out, and I have not really attempted to, because I really don't miss it! I don't think I'll mention this "problem" at the dealership.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rome
thanks lewis...but no one really seems to have an answer in that thread...
this thing is driving me friggen nuts...
What is driving you friggin' nuts.....the chime or the Cayenne? Come on, be honest.

I "suppose" you could simply go into/behind the dash, find the offending chime module, and simply remove it.

The chime you describe is likely NOT part of the vehicle's infotainment bus and therefore NOT being played over the speakers.....long story, don't ask.

I always wear my seatbelt, as my current wadrobe (straightjacket, standard attire here at the "vacation villa for Cayenne owners") is designed to attach to the 3 point belt system, preventing me from exiting the vehicle in response to "Beep" "!" "Check Trailer Lights".

Hey, if you think it's easy typing on a keyboard with a pencil in your teeth AND owning a Cayenne, try it sometimes!
Best of luck on chime hunting.....unlike snipe hunting, I don't think this will require a permit.

OK, queue MadFox (my medication consultant) in 5,4,3,2..........
Old 10-17-2005, 01:58 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
What is driving you friggin' nuts.....the chime or the Cayenne? Come on, be honest.............
Ahhhhh,, Grasshopltc-san.. you are one with the NUTS<@ (Cayenne type).. You see Grasshopltc-san, if he wore his friggin' seatbelt and then said the Cayenne was driving him nuts... that would be easy.. we get him a matching straight jacket, couple of nurses and a glass of the official Kool-Aid<@
Originally Posted by ltc
.....Hey, if you think it's easy typing on a keyboard with a pencil in your teeth AND owning a Cayenne, try it sometimes!....OK, queue MadFox (my medication consultant) in 5,4,3,2.............
1, BLAST-OFF..... wait..... BLAST-SLUUURRRRRRRPPPP Spiked Kool-Aid with consultant placing your straw where the pencil was<@

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Chime