Sponsored by:

19.1 MPG - Take that you SUV Haters!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 12:48 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 19.1 MPG - Take that you SUV Haters!

Tried to post this several times.. forum issues today? Anyway.. 950 miles circuit trip in 33 total hours door to door (lumbar support I love you) to pick-up college boy for fall break and take soon to be college boy to see 3 campuses one last time in my S. Avg. 75-78 mph 95% of the time. Yes, +++ a little in the left lane.. and yes, some city traffic at each campus. on one 4 hour stretch with no break avg. was 20.5 mpg. Bottom line.. I don't think most decent size sedans get much better maybe 25mpg. I'll take the Cayenne, utilitarian use and the power and darn good gas mileage. Pfffffffffffffftttttt to the SUV Haters.. 6 speed automatic is pretty darn efficient<@
Old 10-13-2005, 01:57 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Most excellent. MadFoxes be a Navy type flying unit??
Old 10-13-2005, 03:35 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome
Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Most excellent. MadFoxes be a Navy type flying unit??
Patrol Squadron Five. VP-5 Mad Foxes. Still an active squadron.. they have decommissioned a lot of VP squadrons over the years. Flew P-3's which are military versions of the Lockheed Electra. Patron Squadrons still use the P-3 today. I flew during early Reagan years tracking Soviet subs and doing reconaissance in Europe based out of Jax, FL. From what I hear, they are going to be phased out after 40 plus years... Are you a Navy compatriot? Former squadron-mate? Yes, I've adopted my squadron's mascot as my screen name.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 AM
JARO
Pro

geez...can't get past 13.1-14mpg with city and highway....
Old 10-13-2005, 10:54 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
geez...can't get past 13.1-14mpg with city and highway....
Tune-up? Driving style? Worst case, lots of idling (bank, errands, drive-thru) and all city driving is 14+mpg. if I have combo (city/highway) depending on the amount of highway obviously I get 15-16 mpg. If I had gone 55-60 and I may do it sometime just to see, I would guess that I would be in the low 20's. The computer and my calculating by fuel usage were in agreement for this trip. The fuel calculations on the PCM are very accurate.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my CS for about three months now... Had it into the dealer two weeks ago and mentioned the hesitation issue in the hopes that they would flash my ECU with the latest code. Instead, they say they found cracked coils and replaced all of the ignition coils. The mechanic explained that the coil packs on a lot of Cayennes are cracking down near the spark plug and this is leading to misfires. Porsche has redesigned the plug connector and supposedly fixed the issue.

I have to admit... the hesitation is gone, and I am now getting a full 2mpg higher than I was before the coil replacement! I just took a trip to Richmond, VA this past weekend and averaged 18.5... and that's driving 85-90 a good bit of the way! Just something to consider...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael S.
I've had my CS for about three months now... Had it into the dealer two weeks ago and mentioned the hesitation issue in the hopes that they would flash my ECU with the latest code. Instead, they say they found cracked coils and replaced all of the ignition coils. The mechanic explained that the coil packs on a lot of Cayennes are cracking down near the spark plug and this is leading to misfires. Porsche has redesigned the plug connector and supposedly fixed the issue.

I have to admit... the hesitation is gone, and I am now getting a full 2mpg higher than I was before the coil replacement! I just took a trip to Richmond, VA this past weekend and averaged 18.5... and that's driving 85-90 a good bit of the way! Just something to consider...
Jaro, is it mis-firing like Michael had. I had the same issue and they replaced all the ignition coils on mine as well. You should be getting better gas mileage.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 PM
DTampa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

Glad to hear you sorted out the coil replacement and continue to enjoy the car. I wasn't even aware of the problem when I owned that particularly beautiful Cay. FWIW, I averaged 19.6 mpg on one highway trip.

Doug
Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

I can get 18+ on the road averaging between 75 and 80 which I don't think is that bad. Of course, it goes down 8-9 when towing the racecar. Our S4 doesn't do much better than that on the highway. We probably avg around 14-15 in town but I really don't check it that religiously...
Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mad Fox
" Are you a Navy compatriot? Former squadron-mate?"

Used to "fly" destroyers as a black shoe 69-70. Safe and interesting way to see the the SEA war games. :-)
Old 10-13-2005, 04:00 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GEEZ CAN'T PAST 8MPG
Old 10-13-2005, 05:51 PM
JARO
Pro

no error codes around misfirings....can't tell by the way engine runs as well...
Old 10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug,

I am still VERY happy with the Cayenne! And, the hesitation wasn't really a problem... I had just read of some guys getting a ECU flash that seemed to improve performance and wanted the dealer to ensure that mine was running the latest code. When they told me they were replacing all the coils, I was really surprised. But, the wrench at my local dealer says that nearly every Cayenne he checks has cracked coils. Just wanted to make my fellow Rennlisters aware of the problem.

BTW... I just ordered a set of Fabspeed cat bypasses for the CS! I'm going to try a DIY install... I'll let you know how it goes.

How are you enjoying the 993??
Old 10-13-2005, 06:02 PM
JARO
Pro

so coils can be cracked and you wold not know about it as it does not have to necessarily result in misfirings correct? can you easily tell if they are cracked?

Quick Reply: 19.1 MPG - Take that you SUV Haters!