Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would you get out of a Cayenne S and get BMW 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MadFox
That's a shame for since you obviously like your Cup car and are thinking about a GT. What say you about a 997? Will the same "glitch" issues apply? How many problems did you or do you have with the 996TT?
I wouldn't own a 997 even with a gun put to my head.

Knock on wood, the 996TT has been problem free, just one TSB/service action.
Then again, it only has 5000 miles on it, and the windshield wipers have never been used (never been in the rain). It's my first Porsche, so it's more about sentimental value than anything else.

I was all set on the Carrera GT, but the whole Cayenne ownership thing turned me off to writing a check to PAG for the car, so I'll likely pass for now.

I'm actually having a bit more fun searching for older model Porsches, I'm thinking a cab would be nice/fun.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The usual.
My dealer who I still can't say enough good things about...they're amazing...they actually may have convinced me to buy the Carrera GT after all?
Buy the Carrera GT and then drive it downhere to show us Marylanders!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Other than the "Exclamation" issue, I have been very fortunate with my Cayenne S and really love it to death.

I still would rather be running around in my Cayenne S than my previous 540.

But again, just an opinion
Old 10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Cayenne TT has been nothing be a real hoot for me - 1 year 27,000 km, and one accident later. Living over here in Germany with a US Spec car (mine's an '05), I have had 0 TSB's done to mine as they say I'll have to wait until I get back to the States. However, I haven't needed any that I know of. I suffer from no lag or hesitation or any of the other complaints. Too many people complained about the lag, so I'm sure it was a problem on the newer builds or has somehow otherwise been corrected.

As far as considering a 550i over a Cayenne S, that's a hard one. I'm predisposed against BMW for many reasons. Many of my experiences would make ltc's reasons for hating the Cayenne look silly. However, I'm sure any manufacturer has their problems across a production line. I considered an M5 for my CTT and was basing that simply on a deprecation factor. I'm aniticipating turning the CTT in for either a new one or the sedan...depending on how it looks, performs etc. Knowing I was going to be in either one of the two, I thought about driving an M5 for 2-3 years until I could make that change. You'll have to make your own decision, but I was really surprised at how unimpressive the M5 turned out.

What bugs me most about BMW (aside from a list too long to list here) is their arrogance. The whole planet has an issue with the new design looks, iDrive and the sort and they come out and say something like "You just don't get it yet. We innovate while the rest of the industry follows. We won't compromise are superior designs." WHAT?!?!? There are a number of people with BMW's out here in the VaterLand and rest assured, these things have serious, consistent issues. One of my favourites was a proud salesman showing me the 760, the radio wouldn't unmute. He reset the car, pushed every conceivable combination of buttons and it just wouldn't unlock. Finally we moved on, and then the sunroof wouldn't close after opening.

Bottom line, drive both and make your decision. You're rolling the dice and could get a lemon with either.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Buy the Carrera GT and then drive it downhere to show us Marylanders!!!
If I do get off the fence, post Cayenne, and decide to get the CGT, I'll be sure to drive it to Maryland.....never been there before.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Many of my experiences would make ltc's reasons for hating the Cayenne look silly.
Hate the Cayenne.....who me?
I don't think hate is the proper term.....I've come to think of it as irreconcilable differences....it's just that a divorce from the Cayenne is taking a bit longer than I had anticipated.

I think you'll like the Panamera (still not liking that name) once you see it. The designer did a very good job IMHO. Nice infotainment system, a proper 'GT' interior design and fitments. I think it will be successful.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:44 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
If I do get off the fence, post Cayenne, and decide to get the CGT, I'll be sure to drive it to Maryland.....never been there before.
You know ya got a place to stay!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah but for 120k...that is the price isn't it? and wait 2-3 years....
Old 10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I wouldn't own a 997 even with a gun put to my head..
Why? Do they 996 cabs have the clean look like the 997? What is the issue with the 997 for you? I was thinking seriously about either a used 997 or 996 (haven't checked if the cabs have the same look or not).. but thought 996's had some issues as well?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JARO
yeah but for 120k...that is the price isn't it? and wait 2-3 years....
JARO,
If you're referring to the Carrera GT, the MSRP is $448,000 (and then add options). They have already stopped production, so there are no more 05's and there won't be 06's. 1250 cars build worldwide and they're done.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Why? Do they 996 cabs have the clean look like the 997? What is the issue with the 997 for you? I was thinking seriously about either a used 997 or 996 (haven't checked if the cabs have the same look or not).. but thought 996's had some issues as well?
It's probably an emotional rather than rational reason, but the 996, 986, 997, 987 (and now Cayman) use a wet sump, and the block has been prone to rear main seal issues. Some blocks (tolerance and manufacture) have had 4-5 rear main seals replaced....been discussed MANY times in the 996 and 986 forums and a few times in the 997/987 forums.

The 996TT, GT2, GT3 all use the GT1 derived block with dry sump. I just feel better regarding the design and lineage of the hardware a bit better.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
JARO
Pro

120k for the Panamera
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
It's probably an emotional rather than rational reason,.
You emotional?? nahhhhhhhhhhhh <@
Originally Posted by ltc
but the 996, 986, 997, 987 (and now Cayman) use a wet sump, and the block has been prone to rear main seal issues. Some blocks (tolerance and manufacture) have had 4-5 rear main seals replaced....been discussed MANY times in the 996 and 986 forums and a few times in the 997/987 forums.
So assume that this caused a fair bit of oil leakage? or issues in racing where pressure got low and/or smoke from oil? Assume that this would be covered under warranty for the first 50K/4 years? For non-racing low mileage usage maybe not an issue?
Originally Posted by ltc
The 996TT, GT2, GT3 all use the GT1 derived block with dry sump. I just feel better regarding the design and lineage of the hardware a bit better
Dry sump makes sense particularly in higher performane engines.. Have to admit that I really haven't put my engineer hat on regarding this or my Cayenne.. I love the looks and the power and long ago decided that timing lights, all the shop equipment were not for me.. I take it to the dealer<@

Oh, and if you get the GT, you'll need to steer via the handheld INS to Alabama after your side trip to Maryland. That way you could do the Barber's track too!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JARO
120k for the Panamera
Sorry, wasn't sure.

Price hasn't been set yet (still 2-3 years away), but price will depend on the engine option (where have you seen this Porsche move before):
Std V8 (derived from the......sigh......Cayenne)
TT V8 (derived from the ......sigh......Cayenne Turbo)
and
maybe (still a bit soon to tell):
Optional V10 derived Carrera GT engine! That would be the one to get!
and on the drivetrain option:
RWD
or
AWD (derived from the .......sigh....Cayenne)

Base/entry MSRP will likely be in the $90's and from there, the sky's the limit (especially if the Exclusive programme is available for this one)
Old 10-13-2005, 09:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You emotional?? nahhhhhhhhhhhh <@ So assume that this caused a fair bit of oil leakage? or issues in racing where pressure got low and/or smoke from oil? Assume that this would be covered under warranty for the first 50K/4 years? For non-racing low mileage usage maybe not an issue?
Oil leakage by the RMS and onto the clutch/PP is the worst....
Oil leakage onto the ground (drips) once it gets past the tray usually means you found it too late.
Yes, covered under warranty....although I'm not sure I'd want a car that keeps getting RMS installed

Search around the 996/986 forums, you'll get more than you want to know.

Quick Reply: would you get out of a Cayenne S and get BMW 550i?