Do I really need PASM

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:46 AM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need PASM

New Cayenne S ordered and I can still make changes. I am never going to tow anything [got the trailer hitch for the bicycle carrier], and I will never do any off-roading. We rarely get more than 6" of snow if that.

With that in mind what would I need the PASM for? At $3k it does not seem worth the investment. Does it make highway driving any more comfortable?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Driving comfort is a subjective thing.

Most prior responses/debates regarding this question come down to wheel size.
On 18" (max sidewall deflection tires), there are few complaints regarding ride comfort on steel springs.
On 19", it is split.
On 20", most (spouses) would agree the ride is a bit to 'harsh', yet drivers may not share that opinion.
(FWIW, I have an S with PASM on 20's (summer wheels) and do notice a marked difference between sport and comfort, depending on the road surface. With the winter (18" wheels), I normally just leave it on 'normal')

PASM on an S is a highly sought after option (beginning with the initial introduction of the Cayenne and the resulting allocation of PASM units from the supplier due to popularity in both Touareg and Cayenne order configurations, which lasted almost a year).
I do not know the trade in allowance granted for PASM, but it may make the iniitial investment more easily justified.

Apart from the obvious advantage PASM provides for towing (pity on the poor SOB's who tow with this thing), PASM's "loading mode" is an advantage for loading the cargo area of the car and/or making it easier for some to get in and out of the back. PASM also makes it a bit easier to wash the Cayenne, as you can raise it up to help clean the wheel wells, or lower it to make it a bit easier to wash the top surfaces. Minor points agreed, yet they have been mentioned here previously.

Best of luck with your new vehicle.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:46 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by huskydog
New Cayenne S ordered and I can still make changes. I am never going to tow anything [got the trailer hitch for the bicycle carrier], and I will never do any off-roading. We rarely get more than 6" of snow if that.

With that in mind what would I need the PASM for? At $3k it does not seem worth the investment. Does it make highway driving any more comfortable?
If you can swing it get it, this is my 3rd Cayenne, and that what I was always looking for, If my CS have PASM i probably would not get the turbo. Like Lewis said my wife didnt like the ride on 20's with the steel suspension, it wasnt all about power, the ride comfort was change quite a bit, really more comfortable using the comfort setting. good luck!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEED is the key word here. You probably don't need a Cayenne either, but want one for its unique driving experience. You probably don't need the air suspension but it certainly makes the Cayenne more comfortable. I wouldn't own one without PASM because the highway ride, even on 18's IMO, is substantially more bouncy.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Zin
Instructor

Not to mention the "coolness" factor. The oohs and ahhs from those who you show the different heights to is kinda fun too. Need or want, I agree with Brent on this one.
I don't need another toy, but I want his 928GT!
Old 10-09-2005, 05:54 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't get a Cayenne without it, but that's just me. I didn't like the regularly sprung Cayenne, would have opted for a Touareg diesel instead. Others love the responsiveness of the steel springs, but too rough for me, even with the 18's.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:18 PM
426H
Advanced

Like Lewis said, comfort vs sportiness it is a subjective thing. How about a testdrive? For me, airsuspension was never an option since I am used to, and prefer, a sharp chassis. Also, since I planned to keep the truck beyond the 2-year warranty period, I didn't want any unproven options that are more likely to cause problems in the future.
When I ordered, the most reported problems with the cayenne (and other european cars that use the same suppliers as porsche) were the airsuspension, tire pressure monitors and the corner turning headlights.
Good luck with your new truck!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since release, the number of reported "actual" air suspension faults have been to my recollection 3 . This does not include false alarms caused by computer issues.

There is no question that the car is complete with the air suspension, I would not buy one without it.

Having said that cost is an issue, but I would happliy trade off full leather an/or Bi-Xenon's for the air suspension.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brent 89-GT
NEED is the key word here. You probably don't need a Cayenne either.
That's just great. Now I find out I didn't HAVE to buy a Cayenne.
Where were you 2 years ago?
Oops, forgot to take my meds.......Where's MadFox when I need him
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
Having said that cost is an issue, but I would happliy trade off full leather an/or Bi-Xenon's for the air suspension.
Actually, the one thing I do like in the Cayenne are the BiXenons, they're rather good headlights.
Wait a minute, did I just say I actually liked something about my Cayenne?

Damn, these meds ARE good.....time to wash some more down with some Purplesaurus Rex
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

Enjoy your Kool-Aid Lewis- I highly recommend the air suspension as well for the reasons noted above. I'm one of the lucky ones who tows as well and definitely wouldn't tow without it- keeps everything very level. And since I got home today from my last SCCA race of the year before the sun went down, I didn't have to see the dreaded ! on the way home...
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
And since I got home today from my last SCCA race of the year before the sun went down, I didn't have to see the dreaded ! on the way home...
Yes, as we all know, SOME Cayennes are not capable of towing at night.....or at 3AM on the way to Lime Rock Park......twice.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

I suppose you were at Lime Rock testing the Bi-xenons....3am?

I have to agree on that option though, those are the best lights on any vehicle I have ever owned. Personally I skipped the nav system...I have a tv in my living room, don't need one in the car.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brent 89-GT
I suppose you were at Lime Rock testing the Bi-xenons....3am?
I leave at 3AM when I'm going for a track day at Lime Rock.

The BiXenons were the only lights working, since ALL of the trailer lights were inoperative due to a (sorry I have to use the symbol) "!" Check Trailer Light issue. It's great fun towing a Cup car in an enclosed trailer when you have no lights.....people should try it sometimes.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with the design of the Cayenne, it's just me I suppose.......
Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by huskydog
New Cayenne S ordered and I can still make changes. I am never going to tow anything [got the trailer hitch for the bicycle carrier], and I will never do any off-roading. We rarely get more than 6" of snow if that. With that in mind what would I need the PASM for? At $3k it does not seem worth the investment. Does it make highway driving any more comfortable?
For what it is worth, I bought a S that was pretty well loaded except for PASM. Agree with everyone, xenon lights are incredible especially nice when cornering on dark roads with no street lights. I got a great deal shortly after the Iraq war started and bought off the lot... so, the one I decided to buy had the towing package and NAV and just about everything else. If you didn't get NAV, I would get that for your type of use before I'd get PASM. Also, the tow hitch saved me from many thousands in damage on a rear-end and I have used it now to tow college boy's stuff back to his dorm - so think you were wise, there. The NAV absolutely is a great option when doing lots of interstate and U.S. road driving. For some reason, NavTeq and Porsche have not opted to provide data like Acura/Honda where the "back roads" in non-metropolitan areas are there but only as advisory positions. Maybe the next update? Regardless it is really nice in the areas that are mapped.

To your specific question, my wife thinks the ride is jarring around town. On the interstate it is fine other than a bad pothole etc. You WILL feel it. Personally, I like the road feel. I have 18" Michelin Diamaris and they have been great tires (read reasons why in posts regarding "shimmy/vibration"). I am a "defender of the faith" as Lewis would say.. but, I honestly think that despite the glitches that the Cayenne has so spoiled me that I doubt seriously I'll ever be as happy with the power, handling, luxury of anything else.. that's why my next additional vehicle (keeping the Cayenne till it blows up) will be a 997 cab. Enjoy the S with or without PASM.. lastly, I agree with the comment.. drive both since you're wondering. Welcome to the "club", you won't regret the decision.... oh and the official Cayenne Kool-Aid recipe is included at no additional cost!

Quick Reply: Do I really need PASM