Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse, backup, apply brakes...clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse, backup, apply brakes...clunk!

Sorry this doesn't sound very technical.

But when I backup, then apply brakes, there's a loud "clunk!"

Anyone else experience this?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Air or steel suspension ?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alvin Hom
Sorry this doesn't sound very technical.

But when I backup, then apply brakes, there's a loud "clunk!"

Anyone else experience this?

Any help greatly appreciated!
I had that happen.

It was the front of an Pontiac that was up my butt.

and Mike I have air suspension.....
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

probably didn't help then
Old 09-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Steel. It happens all the time. I'm taking the CS in on Wed anyway for some recalls. Trying to get a bit more info before i try to show them what's going on.

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

It could be lash in the transmission, does the effect get worse the faster you reverse and then stop or is it the same at all speeds. It could also be some slack in the suspension but I think that unlikely.

It should not happen is for sure, which dealer you taking it into ?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told this happens when the brakes move back as you reverse and break...they have bit of a play so the pads sort of move back and that is where the sounds comes from.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:56 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

In a few cases this could also be excessive play in the cardan shaft. I've replaced two for similar complaints thus far.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Originally Posted by mudman2
It should not happen is for sure, which dealer you taking it into ?
Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley, CA.

Thanks everyone for the input so far!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:40 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I dont recall any bad reports on that dealer, fingers crossed.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Thumbs up

Got my car back. Great service. They didn't figure out the "clunk" sound, but they fixed a broken brake circuit that allowed my car to start without depressing brake pedal (and shift from D to R w/o depressing brake). Since then I haven't heard the sound....perhaps it was related? We'll see if the noise comes back.

They also had a recall on the side molding for discoloration. They replaced all those metallic colored strips along the side of the car. It looks practically brand new!

They provided me with a loaner VW Passat. Nice car, but I've been hoping for one of their loaner Boxters for 2 years now...I never get one. Maybe they only lend them to the GT owners.

Overall a very nice experience at Sonnen.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 PM
sfbimmer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a "clunk" sound too... but not in reverse. If I'm in a parking lot speeding up to about 15mph and then hitting the brakes for a gradual slow-down, I hear a very audible "clunk" noise as I slow to about 3-5mph. Almost hear it in most "stop-n-go" situations... area with multiple stop signs, or pkg lot with lots of speed bumps.

I brought this up with the folks at Carlsen-- on the way there, I was testing how to produce the sound, basically got it to do it 7 out of 10 times.... go on a test drive with a tech and can't reproduce it! Go figure...

Anybody else experience this in DRIVE?

Also, have air suspension... and have eliminated anything to do with the tranny, since I experience it while in 2nd gear only (does not downshift/upshift when I hear it).

TIA.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbimmer
I get a "clunk" sound too... but not in reverse. If I'm in a parking lot speeding up to about 15mph and then hitting the brakes for a gradual slow-down, I hear a very audible "clunk" noise as I slow to about 3-5mph. Almost hear it in most "stop-n-go" situations... area with multiple stop signs, or pkg lot with lots of speed bumps.

I brought this up with the folks at Carlsen-- on the way there, I was testing how to produce the sound, basically got it to do it 7 out of 10 times.... go on a test drive with a tech and can't reproduce it! Go figure...

Anybody else experience this in DRIVE?

Also, have air suspension... and have eliminated anything to do with the tranny, since I experience it while in 2nd gear only (does not downshift/upshift when I hear it).

TIA.
fwiw do a more detailed search, sounds like you have the same prob. i had for over a year... finally porsche did a "workshop campaign/notice" re: the problem... fixed it for free under warranty & no prob. since.... will try & find link. the fix (best i can recall) was a 'chip upgrade' & a linkage part on my my05cs.

as per another lister:
"Clunk first reported on 4/29/06 with 13k miles on the car. Diagnosed & fixed 7k miles later, and after numerous visits to various dealers, by replacing transfer box control unit".

i had the exact symtom... dealers tried replaced two control arms & then tried to blame my 21" bbs wheels. NOT.
bol
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24FPS
fwiw do a more detailed search, sounds like you have the same prob. i had for over a year... finally porsche did a "workshop campaign/notice" re: the problem... fixed it for free under warranty & no prob. since.... will try & find link. the fix (best i can recall) was a 'chip upgrade' & a linkage part on my my05cs.

as per another lister:
"Clunk first reported on 4/29/06 with 13k miles on the car. Diagnosed & fixed 7k miles later, and after numerous visits to various dealers, by replacing transfer box control unit".

i had the exact symtom... dealers tried replaced two control arms & then tried to blame my 21" bbs wheels. NOT.
bol
What am I missing here? 24FPS.. you're a longtimer... good posts.. but you now say you're in la la land??? have you engaged in alot of purplesaurus rex with adult additive?? isn't SFBIMMER'S posting date on this 2+ years ago?!~
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny. been hoppin' around a bit (with searches) & spotted this factoid for another friend...

haven't posted on pepper forum in about two years. maybe i'm getting caught up?

it's to much fun being in l.a. full time i guess. man maybe i need some east coast cold weather & air...

oh & btw mine is a my05 cs .

Last edited by 24FPS; 12-04-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse, backup, apply brakes...clunk!