Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NE1 found low dust brake pads yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 46 Posts
Default NE1 found low dust brake pads yet?

thx!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:50 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

I may have found something.... Any opinions???

http://brakeworld.com/catalog.asp?pa...tem&invid=4568
Old 09-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake pads are a series of compromises IMO. When the ad states that the compound reduces vibration that causes squeal, that says to me that while they squeal less they will still be noisier than stock pads. I have not found that the stock pads leave much dust on the wheels. I am at 23k miles and simply wash the car often enough that dust has never been an issue for me. You can sure change pads to anything you like but the chances that you will find a better combo of performance, quiet operation and dust than the factory engineers did is slim to none.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect to Brent, my 993 has practically no dust since changing pads and my CS has TONS of dust. I use a Kozak cloth on the car and another on TechArt wheels every couple of days and the wheels are a pain in the butt. The idea that regular washing takes care of brake dust just doesn't compute unless regular is more than once every week or so.

As per Barry, anyone tried Rotex Gold on other cars?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:46 PM
JARO
Pro

the answer is Rejex and frequent washing...Apply this stuff every couple of months and you will not have issues. Dust will not stick as much and it comes off easily. It will definitely not bake in.....unless you have a BMW as their wheels and brake issue is way worse the Porsche.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

I use Rejex on the wheels but they still dust like crazy. I keep my black Cayenne very clean but still have to wash the wheels 2-3 times more than the rest of the car. Yes, I'm **** about brake dust. I love watching those MB's and bimmers go by with black front wheels... I've used Mintex Red Box and EBC green stuff pads on an Audi TT and Mini Cooper S respectively with good results. Would swap in a minute on the Cayenne if they were available. I suspect the brakes work pretty hard on the pepper as it is a HEAVY vehicle!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:39 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Couple of comments:

-I don't totally agree with the idea of reduced performance vs. the OEM pad. I'm one of the lucky ones who also owns a BMW and I'm running Hawk HPS for the street with no noise and very little dust. I do have a StopTech BBK on it so to say I don't have any reduced performance vs stock may not be fair.

- Unfortunately this is my wife's car and it is driven a lot so I'd be washing it every 3-4 days to keep the wheels relatively clean isn't practical so I need to find a pad with less dust.

So instead of info on keeping the wheels cleaner, I was really hoping to get some insight on the brand of pad and whether it lives up to its claims. If they were Hawk, Pagid, Ferodo, etc - I'd feel more comfortable going ahead with purchasing them.

Thanks!
Barry
Old 09-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

It is easy to find pads with better performance. The pitfall to getting more grab or less dust is very often squeal. I tried several different pads on the 928 before going back to Porsche OE, and I have been very happy with those.

Somebody has to be the guinea pig Barry try a set and see what happens. Better yet, contact the manufacturer, link them to this thread and offer to do some product testing and make a report on their claims. Maybe you could get a deal on a set with the agreement that if they work you will praise them and note it here, or if they fail, simply send them back. It might be worth a try considering the lack of options for pads on the Cayenne. If they work as claimed with no negative side effects, they could sell a lot of those pads here.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:54 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

I was ready to shoot BMW over their brake pads, which seem to be made from the Kingsford charcoal you use to bbq with - and with 20" wheels on my X5 4.6si, the wheels were black in a day or two. But I changed to Rotex (don't know which kind) and the wheels are clean for a few weeks. There does not seem to be any change in the braking performance, although I haven't hooked up a g-meter and tried a panic stop from 80 mph.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:45 AM
black993man
Advanced

Last post on this thread was more than three months ago... has anyone tried these Rotex Gold pads yet??? Still in search of lower dust pad alternatives and hoping someone has some positive feedback to share on these...
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed EBC green stuff on my Cayenne.

They are supposed to be less dust. SO far I am unimpressed. It is less but barely and the braking performance is not as good as the stock pads.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:24 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Interesting- I have Green Stuff on a Mini and had them on a Audi TT and they worked well. Figure the Cayenne, being a lot heavier, works the brakes harder. Maybe I'll try the Rotex Golds... Saw a Green Stuff 7000 for heavier trucks or SUVs but couldn't find that specific pad for the Cayenne.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:12 AM
bigdog
Advanced

sp perio,, u wouldn't reccomend the ebc pads,,i was about to do brakes and i was looking in to those pads,,,,ahh well the search continues,,i found a company that sells cross drilled rotors for the cayenne i willllet u guys know

Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

It isn't that I can't get the dust off as I clean the damned wheels very often and the dust doesn't build up. It's just that I need to clean them after one trip to the grocery store, etc!! I may be a guinnea pig as I think I'm going to get the Rotex pads... will update here when I get around to it.

Quick Reply: NE1 found low dust brake pads yet?