Cost of Oil Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Cost of Oil Service

My Cayenne S has hit the 10k mile mark and I want to have the oil changed. I called and scheduled a service with the local P-car dealer yesterday adn he tells me that an oil service will run about $275.00 Does this sound right? My 993 has more oil, two filters, and required a partial disassembly to change the oil... all that and the oil service is only $150.

So, what's so complex about the Cayenne? Can I DIY an oil change? Is this a "normal" price?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

Cost of oil and a filter and an hour or so. Not that hard. DIY over at renntech.org... and yes, a LOT easier than a 993 (did that too many times to count and bitched each time!)
Old 08-25-2005, 12:16 PM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In San Francisco Bay Area, I know at least two dealers are running the oil service special all years for $119.00 with no loaner. I just did mine and the brake flush for $99.00. These services were about $250.00 few years ago. With some other warranty service, I had a loaner car. I used to do the oil myself, but no anymore while the special is running.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 AM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAYENNE SERVICE COSTS

I am astounded to see people wanting to cut prices on servicing, and to go as far as to have it done by someone outside of Porsche. The way I see it, it all counts, do a service with Porsche and when it runs out of warranty and something goes wrong they will help you out with goodwill.
Don't and expect no help, trust me they are expensive to repair when it all goes wrong.
They way I see it overheads are a cheap way to have a good relationship between the dealership and you. 2 words for people who dont think like this Tight *****.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree as to the benefits of dealer servicing... but when some dealers are charging $119 and mine is $275 then I think I have a valid gripe! I don't mind paying for service, but I refuse to simply give my $$$ away...

So, call me a tight **** if you wish... but, I'll be doing my oil changes myself!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 PM
hamiam
Instructor

its a nice concept to build good will with your dealer by massively overpaying for an oil change but I doubt it is worth it. I complained to Manhattan Motor Cars after my car was there for over a week waiting for a part for the radio and I was informed that I was welcome to take my CS to another dealer. How's that for good will? Oh, and I paid > $300 to have them spray paint and put on a front license plate holder.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

Remember, you can always negotiate. I just got 20% off labor and parts for my brake job.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:42 PM
hamiam
Instructor

true. i guess you can pit them in competiton with one another or what have you..
Old 09-21-2005, 12:43 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael S.
oil service will run about $275.00 Does this sound right?
So, what's so complex about the Cayenne? Can I DIY an oil change? Is this a "normal" price?
I just got mine done at a dealer in the SE USA, $180 for oil, filter, and labor. If you intend to trade your vehicle, boy I'd recommend not DIY. That invites skeptism about whether it was really done. If you're cheap about that -- as a buyer I'd think what else did you opt for "cheap". Now on a classic 911 that is 20 years old.. perfectly acceptable. OR.. if you intend to keep the Cayenne until the wheels fall off, then DIY.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:25 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, the dealers records are gold at resale or trade, negotiation is alway the best policy, they do want the work and the relationship (most of them anyway).

Quick Reply: Cost of Oil Service