Cayenne S puchase, what options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayenne S puchase, what options?

I've wrestled with this for awhile. What do I buy to replace my '02 Audi S6 Avant now off lease. Need the AWD for our New England weather. Have to have the roominess of an SUV or hatchback. I've been spoiled by the performance of the S6 for the last 39 months. Finally decided on the CS.

What options would you all suggest for a Cayenne S?
1-800-221-3936 x205
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com

'69 MBZ 6.3
'16 Cayenne
'32 Ford highboy, Cadillac powered
Old 08-17-2005, 03:34 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also in Mass and just order an '06 custom build 2 weeks ago. (Due to arrive in Oct.)

I thought a lot about the options and here is where I came out:

I got--

- Full leather (a must for me, even at $3K, because I think it makes the interior of the car...not crazy about the standard embossed "elephant skin").

- PCM 2.1 Navigation
- Satellite Radio Sirius
- Moon Roof
- Heated Front Seats and Steering Wheel
- Bi Xenons
- Roof Transport System
- Ski Bag (Free)
- Colored Crests
- Floor Mats
- Turbo Wheels with 18 in. all season tires.
- Metallic Paint (Basalt Black).

With these options, MSRP was a little over $70K (paid a lot less after negotiated discount). I considered eliminating Xenons because not sure how much better they are than regular lights, but as almost all CS's have them I decided to go for it.

I also considered the following, but passed for the reasons noted:

- Thicker Steering Wheel (Seemed cool, like it on other cars, but too expensive-- $985-- and regular wheel looks and feels great).
- Panorama Room (I owuld have loved this, but too much $$-- $4K--, and also some problems with leaking reported).
- Memory Seats (I like the convenience, but I wanted to cut out some options I didn't really need to keep overall cost in line).
- Light Comfort Package (same)

Although Porsche's options are expensive and that can be frustrating sometimes, I really did have a great time and take pleasure in custom building my car. The dealer can print you off a list of options with prices and descriptions, It's about 50 pages long, and I went through it carefully many times, and looked at lots of cars on the lot to see how the options worked and looked, before deciding what I wanted. (Again, I think the full leather is key!). Also, stay away from the various "packages" they offer as they usually include stuff you won't want or need, and it is more economical and fun to pick your own stuff and do a custom build to make your car really "yours".
Old 08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

a must is the panarmaic roof...for sure....i have it on an S with the sport package and awesome wheels......good luck...
Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked ordering my own as well. It is fun to read what others have put on their cars. I never would have popped for the full leather myself, but I bet it looks nice!

I have the sports activity package that includes the PASM air suspension, a fire extinguisher, and the trailer tow package. Instead of the popular comfort package I opted for just the drivers memory, that was pretty much all I needed from that package and it saved like $900. I ordered the roof rack instead of the rails as I may want to carry a ski box up there. I really like the look of it and leave the bars up there all the time. I ordered the 20" turbo wheels just because I think they look cool, and of course the painted center caps. I have the heated wheel and all four seats option. Rear sunshades, I have 8 yr old twins and it is nice to keep them out of the hot sun. With the sports package I had to get a wood package and with Titanium over black I went with the dark wood. I had not planned on the wood but now I am very happy, I like it much better than the aluminum trim. I skipped the nav, I can read a map, don't live in an urban area, and much prefer "normal" radio and other controls. If I could add anything I probably would want the compass, thats it, oh yeah, the twin turbo engine

We took delivery 4-04 and now have about 23k on the truck. It is a sweet ride and ours has been essentially trouble free.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the tow hitch, affords much rear protection from fools

Also get AIR, you will regret it if you dont, its better value than full leather.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:45 PM
hamiam
Instructor

Given that your live in the Northeast like we do, I would suggest keeping the weather in mind when ordering your options. My wife pushed very hard for the heated seats which I thought were unnecessary. WRONG. Cold leather against your butt and back in the winter gets old really quick. The heated steering wheel is a nice feature as well and its automatic. (Which is a little creepy at first but you get used to it.) Now I dont want to start a huge discussion here but I understand, for various reasons, that the 18" wheels with all-season or snow tires are better in New England Weather. Ive no problems in snow, ice, or rain with my 18" turbo wheels and stock tires. I do like the 20" -ers and would consider getting those and mounting summer only tires on them. I did not get the "light comfort package" and I think that was a mistake. Personally, I like when the car automatically turns the lights on and off for you. Although it is small, I think the moon roof is a must. I like the idea of the panoramic roof but I'd rather see it in production for a few years before I walk down that road. I too got the Navigation System; I think the car looks somewhat cheap and barron without it. (Call me crazy.) We actually use it quite a bit to find alt routes to traffic-clogged NE highways. Got the Zenon lights and they are like flamethrowers. I guess they are also the target of theft so be careful where you park the car. As for the wood trim and the like, I think that is a matter of personal choice. I like the look of the roof rails but not the crossbars. I bot my car at the end of January 2005 (its a 2005) my MSRP was around $70k and I paid $63k. Get the colored wheel crests; I have the plain ones and they look, well, plain. Given you live in Mass I would suggest you get either the OEM rubber winter matts or an after-market product for all 4 seats positions and for the floor of the way back. I think Sirious or XM radio is also a great idea along with the telephone prep.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts

I missed out on Sirius by 1 month on my late '04- love it in my Audi. Have factory 19"s, activity package (air and hitch), heated everything (need it in Iowa winters), rear sun shades, and a couple litttle things I can't remember now. Wouldn't consider it without air suspension- great for towing. Oh yes, Xenons- a must for me, never thought regular Porsche headlights were that good- not nearly as good as on my previous bimmers...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Get the tow hitch, affords much rear protection from fools

Also get AIR, you will regret it if you dont, its better value than full leather.
I agree 100%. Air is a "must have" option.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Truble10
I agree 100%. Air is a "must have" option.
Well, it depends on the roads and what your idea of comfort is. I have the standard suspension and it can be "jarring" on some roads.. but I do feel it gives a more typical sport car feel. Agree with most everyone that the NAV looks better and has some nice trip info if you do a lot of interstate driving .. was a huge help for planning pit stops etc. on a 3 day 1000 mile trip that I took a month or so ago. Xenon a must.. as my eyes get "older" the throw of these lights is awesome. Tow package probably saved my deductible and possibly higher premiums in a recent rear-ender. No damage to my S and horrific damage to the guy who hit me. While I don't tow anything, I have helped some folks out with it, too. I think the moonroof is a waste.. but have always heard that high end vehicles should have them.. frankly, if I order another Cayenne I won't get it as the 911 will be a cab. Painted wheel badges a must... agree looks to plain.. heated seats a must.. hell, I like the warm seats and I'm in the south!
...... Also get the iPod direct connect to the Bose system, factory DVD player interface to the NAV screen, the factory bluetooth cell interface, and the ! delimiter for towing.. (inside joke).. come on in the water is warm and the Kool-aid is cold and good!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Jeez, I forgot to mention my moonroof and Xenons The moonroof isn't very functional with the cross bar roof rack. You have to have the front bar mounted right above the moonroof or take the bar off. That was dumb. The lights though, they are by far the finest headlights I have experienced on any car. Much better than the early xenons like my BMW 750 had. I also would not have considered the Cayenne without the air suspension. I have driven both and my air version certainly firms up nicely when pressed and rides much better when loafing.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MadFox
...... Also get the iPod direct connect to the Bose system, factory DVD player interface to the NAV screen, the factory bluetooth cell interface, and the ! delimiter for towing.. (inside joke).. come on in the water is warm and the Kool-aid is cold and good!
Stop poking the tiger with the pointed stick.....remember, someone ALWAYS forgets to latch the cage.......and when that happens don't blame the tiger.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skl
- great for towing.
Didn't you forget something?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Lewis, Why don't you just stop complaining and ditch the troublesome truck? It seems like every thread I visit there is some comment by you regarding a problem with towing. I have three trailers I have pulled with my Cayenne, a flatbed car trailer, my boat and my snowmobile trailer. None of them have ever caused any problem with my Cayenne. If you continue to allow the inanimate object to annoy you, you are not a victim of a Porsche, you are are victim of your own foolishness.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ducks
Old 08-17-2005, 11:44 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts

I hope Lewis keeps it, and if he does get rid of it, I hope he sticks around here anyway. It would be VERY boring without him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there, feel better?)

Quick Reply: Cayenne S puchase, what options?