Sponsored by:

Volume Button Paint Peel

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Default Volume Button Paint Peel

Have dealers provided a solution to this? THe paint on my volume buttons has started top bubble as the result use. I am going in for service tomorrow and am going to bring it up.. but I have noticed that most problems that they cant solve get the "we dont cover that" or "thats normal"

Interesting that we have a MB and BMW with 3 years and 50K miles more than my Cayenne and neither have had this problem.

but i still love my CS
Old 08-03-2005, 06:38 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaurang
Have dealers provided a solution to this? THe paint on my volume buttons has started top bubble as the result use. I am going in for service tomorrow and am going to bring it up.. but i still love my CS
Are you talking about on the steering wheel... if so, my dealer got approval from PCNA to replace.. unbelievably they have to order an airbag and the cover to do so.. took about a week to get the part in and a day to do it (along with other stuff however). My volume buttons were all chipped along the edges.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:55 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, i was referring to buttons on the steering wheel. Did it take a lot of work for the dealer to get this done or did your dealer acknowledge the defect and work with you? What do i need to tell my dealer to get the same result you did? thanks much
Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gaurang
Yes, i was referring to buttons on the steering wheel. Did it take a lot of work for the dealer to get this done or did your dealer acknowledge the defect and work with you? What do i need to tell my dealer to get the same result you did? thanks much
It is a time consuming job because it involves replacing the airbag, the buttons on each side, and the steering wheel cover. Not a very efficient design.. I'm told it was expensive and that is why PCNA had to approve. I have had ALL the glitches and so my dealer pushed PCNA about it. I've read in this forum that some dealers didn't go to bat for their client.. look for other posts here.. My dealer is one of the best based on what I've read. Good Luck. And sidebar. Read posts about tires.. stil believe Michelin to be the best for the Cayenne for allseason/summer.. winter, seems to be a matter of what type of driving you'll encounter and the tread design.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
JARO
Pro

actually the job is like 1-20 minutes. What sucks is that I have to wait another 3 weeks to get mine. PCNA approved to have mine replaced but they are at the end of their year (rund from july to july) and I guess inventory and suff is slowing things down.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
actually the job is like 1-20 minutes. What sucks is that I have to wait another 3 weeks to get mine. PCNA approved to have mine replaced but they are at the end of their year (rund from july to july) and I guess inventory and suff is slowing things down.
Jaro, you're in chicago, I'm in the south.. we move reaaaaaaaaaaaaal ssssslllllllooooooowwwwww. They had the car for most of the day when they did mine. I actually had to bring it back because they got a standard wheel bag/cover instead of the one with the buttons.. apparently the base model doesn't have steering wheel radio controls.. At least you got approved.. several other posts seemed to indicate no go! It does look better not having all the chips on the controls.. so I'm happy.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by madfoxcays
It is a time consuming job because it involves replacing the airbag, the buttons on each side, and the steering wheel cover. Not a very efficient design.. I'm told it was expensive and that is why PCNA had to approve.
Perhaps it is a very efficient design, based on the goals/parameters.
Single LRU, easy assembly at vehicle integration and an expensive part, which helps maximize post warranty profits.
They didn't just get lucky putting $1.4B Euro in the bank last year.

Of course there is a simpler, more elegant solution to the problem.....
just actuate the steering wheel controls/buttons from the BACK; that way when the paint peels/chips, you won't notice it. There, solved.....no charge.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:50 AM
JARO
Pro

ltc...you are a real genious! hahaha

madfox, yeeeaaaaaahhhh...that's why I need to get down there and sssssllllloooowwwwwww dooown! well, off to dealer I go.....Michelin will replace my brand new Diamaris....vibration at high speeds...nothing big but their cust service made the offer when I told then I'll never buy Michelin's again....
Old 08-05-2005, 11:13 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

madfox, yeeeaaaaaahhhh...that's why I need to get down there and sssssllllloooowwwwwww dooown! well, off to dealer I go.....Michelin will replace my brand new Diamaris....vibration at high speeds...nothing big but their cust service made the offer when I told then I'll never buy Michelin's again....
Remember Road Force under 10 --- insist on it. Michelin's own spec's. supposedly allow for up to 30.. no big deal on some cars.. obviously a big deal on cayennes.

Lewis.. see that's why you designed all kinds of stuff for me in the Navy.. I.N.S. systems blah blah.. I'm sure with your excellent rapport with PCNA, they'll be calling you on the 07 design of those buttons on the back!!

And Lewis -- your wife does like extremely dry sarcasm?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by madfoxcays
I'm sure with your excellent rapport with PCNA, they'll be calling you on the 07 design of those buttons on the back!! :
The funny thing is that you don't now how close to the truth you are in your statement....
Have a nice weekend.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:49 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
The funny thing is that you don't now how close to the truth you are in your statement.... Have a nice weekend.
In all seriousness, if you're getting traction with PCNA because of your "issues".. I see that as a good thing... At least at my dealer's level, there is a direct, open and honest relationship with PCNA about the issues that they've been having with the Cayenne.. and I know for fact that the GM at this dealership has their ear.. He doesn't want the same type of crap in the Cayman and Panamera.. they're pretty big volume and part of Sonic which has many dealerships in the southeast. So, keep 'um honest Lewis.. we all benefit in the end!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:50 PM
JARO
Pro

believe it or not Michelin does not accept returns based on high RF reading. Got my replacement set shipped to me by Tire Rack and my dealer told me that the reading were in the teens. Have not yet hit 70 since last Friday so not sure if there is going to be vibration.
Jaro
Old 08-07-2005, 03:53 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear that Michelin stepped up to the plate after some "prodding".. Good for you! Still convinced that Michelin in the low road force end has the best tire out there (any size!). It is just getting the dealer or tire shop to agree to only install low RF tires that is the problem.. thankfully, as explained ad nauseum in this forum, my dealer had enough and agreed that we'd see how it did ... per posts about R.F. on this and roadfly's forums.. I'm glad they did as it was like having a totally different car with the shimmy/vibration gone!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:56 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

believe it or not Michelin does not accept returns based on high RF reading. Got my replacement set shipped to me by Tire Rack and my dealer told me that the reading were in the teens. Have not yet hit 70 since last Friday so not sure if there is going to be vibration.
Jaro
I believe it because they have a manf. spec. tolerance that is much broader and in most vehicles is a NON-issue... but, as you know in some Cayennes there is some type of mechanical linkage issue, harmonic, or unround rims etc. that causes vibration.. in my case.. the ONLY solution was LOW RF tires.. our solution with the dealer was that if Michelin didn't take them back they would use them on some other car that didn't have the complaint on vibration/shimmy.. this should be your approach with your tire guys! Good Luck
Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 PM
JARO
Pro

You raise a good point. Somewhere on the forum I saw someone post a note talking about some special tool that was being ordered by the dealer in order to fix the mechanical linkeage issue in the suspension/steering...I would love to know more about it...did you hear about it? was it you perhaps who mentioned this?

Quick Reply: Volume Button Paint Peel