Sponsored by:

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:29 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing

I know that on paper the Cayenne has good towing numbers, but that is usually only part of the picture for a good tow vehicle. Does anyone here have any real life experience towing enclosed trailers with a Cayenne, perhaps in the 25-30 foot range and about 6500 lbs? Is it stable?

Thanks,

Ub
99 996
76 930
64 356C race
64 356C street
02 Excursion Diesel, Towmeister.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Myself and rennlist user 'skl' both tow 20' enclosed aluminum V-nose trailers with a Cayenne S. IIRC, we both have PASM equipped Cayennes.
There are also some members of the forum who tow boats, motorcycle trailers, etc.

My trailer (2400#) and Cup car (2700#)is about #5400 total (tools, tires, fuel, etc) or so. I have had no bad experiences with stability. You are aware of the load, but it doesn't cause any concerns.
Mileage is about 10-11mpg, so the 26 gallon tank is good for about 200 miles or so before you begin to think about a fueling stop.
There are currently no OEM tow mirror/extentions, so it looks like **** universal clip ons are the only available solution.
There have been previous posts regarding installing electric brake controllers...very straight forward plug in install (unless you go with a Prodigy, in which case there is a small difference...again, it has been discussed and documented here).

I will not mention "Check Trailer Lights "!"

That having been said, I would prefer to use my bride's 2005 Ford Excursion PowerStroke (which I use when the Cayenne is in the shop....often)...she traded in her 2000 when we found out that 2005 was the last year.
With the X, you have ZERO idea you're towing, it has proper towing mirrors standard and with a 44 gallon tank, I can go from Boston to Watkins Glen without even worrying about stopping.

So, in summary, the Cayenne is capable, but like everything else it is, it's a compromise.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:09 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

As itc said, I tow a 18' v nosed aluminum ATC enclosed trailer (22' total) with a CS with PASM. Seems to have a sweet spot in 5th at about 74-75 mph but I"m lucky to get 8-9 mpg- it's hillier in Iowa than you think. It is sensitive to tongue weight and where you put things in the trailer but tows just fine. My old 2500 GMC would have towed it better but i MUCH prefer driving the pepper to that huge pickup, and so does my wife! We get lots of looks as the trailer looks pretty big but being aluminum doesn't weight that much (2500 lbs.) I usually tow a spec Miata race car that weighs about 2400 lbs, plus some tools and tires, etc.

ps- wouldn't consider it without air suspension- always keeps everything level.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skl

ps- wouldn't consider it without air suspension- always keeps everything level.

But you can overload (tongue weight) the steel sprung Peppers without the suspendsion going nuts - trying to level.

Not recommended however.........
Old 07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

One more recent picture of the rig as we're leaving for a SCCA race. The spec Miata is loaded in the trailer. The ATC trailer is top-notch, and highly recommended if you're in the market for an enclosed trailer. (No, I don't work for them..

Do wish someone made decent mirror extensions- big blind spot- always hope some cop doesn't hide back there for a few miles!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Great rig, skl..
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did get stopped by the highway patrol last winter. I was towing a small two place enclosed snowmobile trailer. He snuck in behind me and hit the lights. I couldn't see him but figured it out quickly as oncoming cars were pulling off, I knew he was behind me Mirrors are the big issue for me. I also have a big pick up that tows better, just lacks the style and comfort of the Cayenne. The truck also has proper towing mirrors so I can avoid "talking to the man" about that anyway Stability doesn't seem to be a big issue, though as mentioned trucks with longer wheelbases and more dead wieght make more ideal tow rigs in my experience.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:29 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Sure my old GMC 2500 crew cab pickup would have towed that trailer like it isn't even back there, but my wife wouldn't drive that monster in town and the Cayenne is sure a lot nicer to drive the 90% of the time we're not towing! I do sometimes worry about the transmission but I leave it in manual when towing and usually never hit 6th unless it's a long downhill or flat section.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:43 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Pepper S with PASM and use the Prodigy brake controller towing around two Harley Davidson Electra Glides and other "stuff" around the East coast.

No problems (other than the "Check Lights" due to my use of LED lights on the trailer). I do love the rig. Yea, a good diesel truck would be better, but comfort and performance of the Cayenne S with my trailer works for me! Was towing at 100mph (just to do it) and it was rock stable!
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JFScheck
I have a Pepper S with PASM and use the Prodigy brake controller towing around two Harley Davidson Electra Glides and other "stuff" around the East coast.

No problems (other than the "Check Lights" due to my use of LED lights on the trailer). I do love the rig. Yea, a good diesel truck would be better, but comfort and performance of the Cayenne S with my trailer works for me! Was towing at 100mph (just to do it) and it was rock stable!
and there's the threat. It's so smooth, I found myself at 85 with a 6,000lb undampened load (probably catching air at every wave....).
Old 07-11-2005, 04:00 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

John, looks a lot like mine, but you need clear corners...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default towing with the Cayenne S

we purchase a new ATC 22 foot and the negatives with the Cayenne S, whether pulling empty or with my 69 camaro show car in it are as stated... no mirror extensions available (i tried 6 difft brands), the prodigy brake controller will not install (wiring) correctly for a 2005 Cayenne (neither prodigy or PCNA can help with this one). The Cayenne does struggle a bit, you have to shift manually often, etc. we still have the Cayenne as it is a great vehicle for everyday and a short around town tow, i.e. to a show... but after one long distance tow experience (1500 miles) with the Cayenne we immediately purchased the 2005 Ford Harley 250 Turbo Diesel with built in brake controller, built in extendable mirrors and you would swear you are not towing anything ! and we got 15 mpg on a 1500 mile trip.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FL Porsche
no mirror extensions available (i tried 6 difft brands).
Check. Nothing new there. Maybe if we beg Eric at bumperplugs.com again, he'll make some carbon fiber ones for us.
the prodigy brake controller will not install (wiring) correctly for a 2005 Cayenne (neither prodigy or PCNA can help with this one). .
That is surprising, as there have been workarounds/pics posted in this forum....IIRC, the fix is to connect the Prodigy directly to the brake switch, not the 4 pin connector...this came directly from Prodigy. Many here have the Prodigy running fine. I'm the odd duck, I have your basic, works everytime, analog brake controller.

The Cayenne does struggle a bit, you have to shift manually often, etc. we still have the Cayenne as it is a great vehicle for everyday and a short around town tow, i.e. to a show... but after one long distance tow experience (1500 miles) with the Cayenne we immediately purchased the 2005 Ford Harley 250 Turbo Diesel with built in brake controller, built in extendable mirrors and you would swear you are not towing anything ! and we got 15 mpg on a 1500 mile trip.
Yes, it's hard to beat an F250PSD. Between myself and my bride, we've owned 3, she currently owns a 2005 Excursion PSD. I could tow the Cayenne, the trailer and the Cup car with that beast.....and with a 44 gallon tank, I dont' worry about looking for gas stations every 200 miles.

BUT, before the defenders of the faith jump out and attack, they are 2 completely different vehicles and can't be compared. There, that ought to keep them at bay.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:03 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
BUT, before the defenders of the faith jump out and attack, they are 2 completely different vehicles and can't be compared. There, that ought to keep them at bay.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
John, looks a lot like mine, but you need clear corners...
Hopefully this winter when things slow down a little

Quick Reply: Towing