Sponsored by:

Autoweek America's Best - Cayenne = Best SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 AM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Autoweek America's Best - Cayenne = Best SUV

I just received the latest issue of Autoweek and lo and behold, our beloved Cayennes have received the honors of being voted as Best SUV for 2005!!

The text indicated that last year, the Cayenne took third place, behind the Touareg and the Range Rover. This year, the Cayenne very closely edged out the Touareg. Third place this year went to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Autoweek gives credit to all three varieties (V6, V8 and Turbo) as handling the rigors of off-roading very well. However, as expected of an enthusiast magazine, they favor the Turbo... with 450 hp, 457 ft-lbs torque and 0-60 in 5.5... calling it "a beast".

So... for anyone doubting the value of Cayenne's place in the market and Porsche's decision to build it, this certainly says a lot.

Personally, I can feel good about having two new vehicles on the list... the 2005 Honda Odyssey also made the top spot for "Best People Mover" (fourth year in a row!!).

Cheers to Porsche for building the best SUV... and to all Cayenne owners...

Last edited by JGriff; 07-01-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:21 AM
thecleaner
Instructor

When Motor Trend tested the CT in snow last winter the author said that is was the best SUV he ever drove and was very happy! His Quote was " Do you need an SUV like this? No! But if you drive one YOU WILL WANT ONE! "
Old 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for haha's I test drove a RR Sport the other day. Its odd, it feels just like the LR3 I have driven before, very top heavy and "lumbering" you dont feel the torque hardly at all.

Cayenne is still miles ahead.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Just for haha's I test drove a RR Sport the other day. Its odd, it feels just like the LR3 I have driven before, very top heavy and "lumbering" you dont feel the torque hardly at all.

Cayenne is still miles ahead.
The RR Sport is a lot cheaper than the CS -- especially when you consider all the standard items on the RR that are available at extra cost on the CS such as NAV, air suspension, parking distance, CD changer, auto dimming RV mirror. Then there is the free maintenance on the RR. I do agree that the power was less than I expected considering the engine is 300hp. Also, the instrumentation on the RR is weak -- hard to see speedometer while driving -- no TFT or LED's. On the positive, the RR Sport looks great, and drives better than the larger one. It would be interesting to drive the 390HP supercharged version.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 PM
356driver
Racer

As has often been said, "Nobody needs a Porsche." We don't need 165 mph turbo SUV's. We don't need 11 inch ground clearance. But the engineers at Porsche have given us these capabilities so we can be confident we have the best SUV on the road. Porsche charges a premium for it - they always have and always will.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JGriff
our beloved Cayennes have received the honors of being voted as Best SUV for 2005!!
Did I miss something? Is there now a 4th model in the Cayenne line?
Let me see..
Cayenne (V6), CayenneS (V8), Cayenne Turbo (TT V8).
Now, beloved?
No, not mine.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Did I miss something? Is there now a 4th model in the Cayenne line?
Let me see..
Cayenne (V6), CayenneS (V8), Cayenne Turbo (TT V8).
Now, beloved?
No, not mine.
Lewis, you should have bought the turbo.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
Lewis, you should have bought the turbo.
Why? I already have a Turbo, the 996TT.

From a towing perspective (the Cayenne's only purpose for living, apart from daily driver), the CT has the same issues/problems at the CS; and from a longevity perspective, I assumed the NA V8 would be preferrable to the forced induction V8 in the CT.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:35 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JGriff
Personally, I can feel good about having two new vehicles on the list... the 2005 Honda Odyssey also made the top spot for "Best People Mover" (fourth year in a row!!).

Cheers to Porsche for building the best SUV... and to all Cayenne owners...

Now you got both best cars
My company car is a Minivan the POS ford freestar, I'm pretty sure it's not on
the list they got an option called conversation mirror, if I can hear the person talking to me, freaking road noise is so bad.LOL but I cant complain free gas baby
Old 07-01-2005, 08:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Why? I already have a Turbo, the 996TT.

From a towing perspective (the Cayenne's only purpose for living, apart from daily driver), the CT has the same issues/problems at the CS; and from a longevity perspective, I assumed the NA V8 would be preferrable to the forced induction V8 in the CT.

I'm not going to get into the debate over the issues some claim to have. You know my stand, No significant issues. I am surprised you have a 996TT with the RMS issues prone to the 996 lineup (less prevalent in the TT's & GT's) That this would be your car of choice. I particularly am not a fan although it is a good performer, just too luxurious for a sports car IMO.

I would think with the differences in internals used in the CT engine, the choice of alloys used in the CT vs the CS along with forged vs cast pistons amongst other differences the CT should last as long if not longer than the CS. But then again only time will tell.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm not going to get into the debate over the issues some claim to have. You know my stand, No significant issues..
I am happy that you have no significant issues.
Try pulling a (proper) race trailer with it, similar to skl, jfscheck and myself. Then after being patient with the dealer for months trying to resolve the issue regarding the factory tow control unit (Option 1D6) you get an intellectually insulting reply/answer from PCNA. That's OK, it is being dealt with.

I am surprised you have a 996TT with the RMS issues prone to the 996 lineup (less prevalent in the TT's & GT's) That this would be your car of choice.
IIRC, the GT1 derived block in the 996TT, GT2 and GT3 is VERY different from the 9x6 Boxster/Carrera block, which is the poster child for RMS issues. The GT1 derived block has had VERY few RMS issues.
It's actually not my car of choice, it just happens to be my first Porsche, so it has some personal significance. I was planning on purchasing a Carrera GT for this summer, but the whole Cayenne 'experience' made me change my mind.

I particularly am not a fan although it is a good performer, just too luxurious for a sports car IMO.
Agreed, the 996TT is more of a Gran Touring car. Besides, the 964 Cup fills any void left by the 996TT being a garage queen.

I would think with the differences in internals used in the CT engine, the choice of alloys used in the CT vs the CS along with forged vs cast pistons amongst other differences the CT should last as long if not longer than the CS. But then again only time will tell.
I was under the impression that the engines were far more similar than you described with respect to materials and construction. I have never seen turbocharged motors go past 100K miles before needing servicing (turbodiesels aside), which is different from a NA engine.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:49 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I was under the impression that the engines were far more similar than you described with respect to materials and construction. I have never seen turbocharged motors go past 100K miles before needing servicing (turbodiesels aside), which is different from a NA engine.
Cobalt is correct that the Turbo engine is built with beefier components than the naturally aspirated engine that should ensure a long life for the engine -- particularly if you don't abuse it. Following is from the Service Information Technik (PNA 488 910):

1) The pistons for the naturally aspirated engines are cast. The pistons for the turbocharged engines are forged.

2) The pistons of the naturally aspirated engine have different combustion bowls than the turbocharged engine. The bowls in the pistons for the turbo engine are much deeper in order to reduce the compression ratio.

3) The cylinder head design of the Cayenne Turbo is identical in principle to that of the Cayenne S, but because of the higher loading a special high-heat resistant aluminum ally is used. The inlet ports in the cylinder head have been reworked with respect to different gas velocities compared to the naturally aspirated engine.

4) The exhaust valves for the Cayenne Turbo are sodium-filled. To ensure proper closing of the exhaust valves even at higher pressures in the exhaust system, dual valve springs are installed on the exhaust side of the Cayenne Turbo.

5) To reduce piston temperatures the engine in the Cayenne Turbo has oil-cooled pistons. The spray nozzles are mounted on the crankcase and spray on the bottom of the piston.

6) The Cayenne Trubo receives additional lubrication and suction for the exhaust turbocharger. An additional oil suction pump is provided for this purpose.

7) To meet turbo-specific requirements for the crankcase ventilation system, separate ventilation paths were provided for the intake and boost pressure areas.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Philig3

ltc,

Don't get me wrong the 996TT is a great car and as I stated the RMS issues are far less of an issue for these engines, although they have occurred and I know of a few who have had some serious issues with it.

To be honest after 25 years of Porsche ownership there aren't many models that I have dealt with that haven't had one issue or another. My friends late father a brilliant Swiss Gentleman always used to joke that Porsche was Germany's revenge on America for WWII.

In all, out of the many cars I have owned over the years, and there have been many, I can't think of a one that hasn't had some issue or another. By far the issues that many complain about with the Cayenne pail in comparison. In the long run nothing gives more pleasure and carries more thought in design and performance than the Porsche. That goes for all models based on their point in time. I have passed on numerous "legendary cars" because although on paper they were great they did not have the combination of performance, looks, reliability and most importantly feel that Porsche offers. I can guarantee you that they would have been more problematic than the Porsche.

I guess one reason why I like and stay with these older Porsches is that IMO they were the best of a time now lost to modern ideals. The lack of complexity and the raw feel of these earlier cars with a hint of modern conveniences deliver something that these newer cars i feel have lost in the interpretation.

Ironically after owning an SUV for 20 years it is the addition of these modern conveniences, performance and handling that the Cayenne offers that has finally made them worth owning. So from my perspective even if I had some issues it would not matter so much to me because the package as a whole is incredible and 9.5 out of 10 is better than the 6.5 previously offered and still offered by most other brands.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Philg3,
Yes, thank you for detailing the differences. My point was that the differences are there due to the increased stress that a forced induction engine places on those components; I don't believe they are included for the purposes of longer life. Without the changes you detailed, the forced induction motor would have a much shorter life span. My belief/opinion is that even with the differences in materials, the Turbo motor will require maintenance work ahead of a similarly maintained (and not abused) normally aspirated motor...such is the nature of turobcharged engines, regardless of pedigree or design philosophy.

Cobalt,
My Cayenne experience has brought me to a similar opinion regarding 'older' Porsches as you so eloquently described. A very simple need for a tow vehicle lead to buying a Cayenne (why not) off the lot to fulfill that need. It has been nothing short of disappointing, bordering on insulting since then.

There is no joy or enthusiasm in the thought of walking into a Porsche dealership and writing a check for a Carrera GT as I had once planned.

I find my time now spent looking for 'older' Porsches to purchase.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Philg3,
Yes, thank you for detailing the differences. My point was that the differences are there due to the increased stress that a forced induction engine places on those components; I don't believe they are included for the purposes of longer life. Without the changes you detailed, the forced induction motor would have a much shorter life span. My belief/opinion is that even with the differences in materials, the Turbo motor will require maintenance work ahead of a similarly maintained (and not abused) normally aspirated motor...such is the nature of turobcharged engines, regardless of pedigree or design philosophy.
Only time will tell. IMO it should be pretty close run for both. I have seen 930 and 964 turbo engines last well into the 100k mile mark. These engines were never moded, well maintained and when finally opened up looked to be incredibly good shape. For the most part the turbo engines die young because of the way they are treated. I have seen some badly abused NA engines need rebuilding at a very early age so we will see.

Cobalt,
My Cayenne experience has brought me to a similar opinion regarding 'older' Porsches as you so eloquently described. A very simple need for a tow vehicle lead to buying a Cayenne (why not) off the lot to fulfill that need. It has been nothing short of disappointing, bordering on insulting since then.

There is no joy or enthusiasm in the thought of walking into a Porsche dealership and writing a check for a Carrera GT as I had once planned.

I find my time now spent looking for 'older' Porsches to purchase.
I don't think you will regret it. IMO I really see very little need for a car like the CGT. For driving pleasure there are many cars that can bring you quite a thrill at much less speed and much less $$

I am sorry to hear you have had such bad experiences with your Porsche dealers. I have found them to be one of the few who have actually not lied and snickered behind my back. I guess they each have their turn to screw someone. Not everyone can be like Alfie.

Quick Reply: Autoweek America's Best - Cayenne = Best SUV