Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unacceptable!!!!! (sorry for the bad pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:57 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
My Cayenne was in for service this week and A506 was installed.
The service paperwork states to "Check VIN # for service action eligibility, yaydayadayada...."
New Cayennes inbound do NOT require A506, even though their seatbelt systems "LOOK" the same.
I asked my dealer if A506 needed to be done to new Cayennes, he said No. Huh, go figure.
What constitutes "new"? Any 2005 model? Or ones just recently-built? Anyone know the VIN cutoff?

Just wondering if my 2005 is going to have this done the next time I go in for service... I sure hope not!!

Thanks

Jim
Old 07-24-2005, 04:21 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The recall notice letter from Porsche does not indicate any range of vin #'s.

"Porsche has decided that 2003, 2004, & 2005 Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo vehicles fail to conform to the requirements...Our records indicate that you are the owner of an affected vehicle..."
Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave I
The recall notice letter from Porsche does not indicate any range of vin #'s.

"Porsche has decided that 2003, 2004, & 2005 Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo vehicles fail to conform to the requirements...Our records indicate that you are the owner of an affected vehicle..."
Bummer. Well... I haven't received a recall letter yet... so hopefully they'll figure out a better fix by the time they get to me!!

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VIN indicates eligablilty for the campaign but the VIN alone is not what dictates whether or not the modification will be performed. There is a tag on the very end of the seatbelt where it bolts to the body. On the tag you will see a date code, for example 02.05.05. This is in DD.MM.YY format. All seatbelts which are inspected and were manufactured before 07.08.04 need to be modified. So not all vehicles that fall under this campaign will need it, but it is about 9 out 10 that do.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
356driver
Racer

Since a large number of us may end up with this unwanted addition, does anyone know how difficult is it to remove? Let's assume decent DIY skills and proper tools.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:57 PM
6th Gear

Just had the recall done on mine,VERY unacceptable what was porsche thinking!! This weight belt takes
away the looks of the rear interior and the rattle too.... Porsche better clean up there act or they will lose alot of loyal porsche owners that wanted there suv....
Old 07-30-2005, 04:44 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I was to take mine in for this and any other needed recall but could'nt make my appt. so I'm glad I did'nt go. I hope that with enough complaints this can be done correctly by Porsche! :P
Old 07-30-2005, 04:52 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a prob. for my myo5... @ least was told so re: it when i asked.
what exactly IS the problem w/ the old belts (or return) anyway? is more belt length needed to ensure it fits ALL babyseats?

the "fix" sure looks bad.. what a sloppy turd! (immho)
Old 07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 356driver
Since a large number of us may end up with this unwanted addition, does anyone know how difficult is it to remove? Let's assume decent DIY skills and proper tools.
I took a quick look the other day. Tilted the rear seat bottom forward, removed the bolt terminating the belt to the chassis.
It was not immediately apparent that I could 'unthread' the belt back thru the A506 device.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bolt does not need to be removed. There is a black plastic clip that is hidden under the folded belt. If you can get enough slack in the belt you can remove the plastic clip. When you remove the clip you can remove the seatbelt from the bracket by pulling it through a slot in the bracket.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PTEC
The bolt does not need to be removed. There is a black plastic clip that is hidden under the folded belt. If you can get enough slack in the belt you can remove the plastic clip. When you remove the clip you can remove the seatbelt from the bracket by pulling it through a slot in the bracket.
Brilliant!
OK, so who is going to be in charge of the collection committee to arrange sending all of the removed A506 devices to PCNA, Office of the President....post due, just as a nice touch.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

PTEC,
Thanks. Worked like a charm. Maybe I'll make them into a Porshe belt buckle, adding a Porsche hood crest and send them to the PCNA President as a gift.

You wouldn't happen to have a similar fix for the "!" problem would you
Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

Lewis, at least we don't have a damned chime going the whole time the ! is on. I'm just glad we have DST most of the year when I'm towing as it's usually light out until I get home so I don't have to turn the damned lights on. I'm going to take those damned clamps off the belts one of these afternoons when I have some time- my "kids" are taller than I am so I don't need to worry about car seats until they get married and that's a few years off (hopefully!) and I'll have a different SUV by then!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:31 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

This is ridiculous! How can they just roll up the belt with a clip and call that a fix? There's no way that would pass NHTSA standards. I'd be sure if you write that you copy the NHTSA visibly on the letter.

Does the back of the seat have an anchor for a car seat rear tether? So NO infant/toddler seats fit there because they don't cinch? Wouldn't that mean that if a fat person was back there and pulled out the belt really far that it would also not cinch? If so, there is NO way that clip would pass testing, and Porsche will be in a heap of trouble at the first incident.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
Lewis, at least we don't have a damned chime going the whole time the ! is on.
How do we know that we didn't burn out the damned chime before we burned out the "!"?

Originally Posted by skl
and that's a few years off (hopefully!) and I'll have a different SUV by then!
a DIFFERENT SUV??!!...........
Five, Four, Three, Two, One...wait for it........OK, Cue the Cayenne Faithful:
Let the Stoning Begin. Welcome to the Porsche Inquisition.....Repent, Repent or Die.
(damn, I miss Monty Python and the Spanish Inquisition skit)

Hmmn, sounds like you've been sipping the Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid lately too

Different SUV.....you're funny

Quick Reply: Unacceptable!!!!! (sorry for the bad pics)