Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unacceptable!!!!! (sorry for the bad pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think Mr Porsche will be facing further complaints from customers if he can't get around to putting better belts in the back of the Cayenne.
Dr. Porsche has passed away, never having lived long enough to see his company bastardized by accountants and managers.

But, if one were in the mood to issue PAG a 'mulligan', then this would qualify......after all, how much experience does Porsche actually have in the design of proper rear seats!

(still, you would think that a seatbelt is a no brainer, even for the world's best SUV)
Old 07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

Actually Lewis, the back seats on my previous 911's ,944 and 356 worked great for my kids when they were "little." They loved riding in the Porsche and considered it a treat. No wonder they love to DRIVE them now! I never had any trouble with the rear belts though rarely sit back there myself. I would have never had them put those stupid clips in but it was done when it was in for the self opening rear hatch. They "appeared" when my son brought the truck home from service. They thought they were doing me a favour at the dealer so I didn't have to bring it back again for the recall!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

My kids also enjoyed the rear seats of the RSAmerica....to kids they're rear seats.
I just find it amazing that something as simple as a rear seatbelt, which should not be unique to the Cayenne, was handled in such a manner.
To me, it says a bit about the current company's direction and charter.

BTW, loved your pic of the GT3 and the 914 side by side.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just temporarily removing my belts the next time it goes in...
Old 07-07-2005, 09:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rockitman
I'm just temporarily removing my belts the next time it goes in...
And risk voiding your warranty
They may end up installing the belts and the A506 "device" when you pick it up!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:10 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Elton for posting that.
Just got the letter about that fix, crappy!!
Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

That really sucks...

I'm going to tie-Strap mine and bring it in and say I fixed it myself!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It occurs to me that, as a buyer in the secondary market, I've been looking at CPO vehicles at Porsche dealerships around the SF Bay Area and I now realise those cars have not had this TSB applied to the cars I've seen.

I wonder about the legalities of the primary or secondary owner of the car finding that the seatbelts were not as described.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

From the legal standpoint, PCNA is the second owner of a CPO car and is legally required, as an agent of PAG, to verify that all safety related recalls/TSB's are performed on a vehicle prior to purchase.

Perhaps the A506 parts, 2 per Cayenne X ~60,000 Cayennes are simply not available yet and cars are awaiting parts.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed if NEW Cayenne's on the lot have the "fix?" Seems to me it would be a barrier to sales....so either they fix them during prep, or is there a differenet fix for unsold cars?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

I had to go into the dealer (Carlsen, NorCal) for a turn sigal fault indication (more later) and the dealer of course informed that I "must" have the fix or they could not do any work...translated, they would not be paid by PCNA for any work....the real enforcement tool apparently. Anyhow, I protested and good people that they are (my experience with Carlsen has always been terrific) after contacting someone, somewhere, I was told I could sign off as having decined the fix. Great! I am happy to give them a waiver to avoid the hideous fix.

Like everyone else, I cannot imagine why PCNA would not offer to exchange the belt or tensioner free OR even at a reduced cost. I encourage PCNA to do the right thing for brand loyatly!

BTW, the contacts for my front turn signal were "burning" causing a short....new headlamp assembly was ordered...they say they have seen the problem before.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Lotus350
Advanced

I will have to make sure my dealer do not install these things on my CS next time I go in. Boy, they look terrible.

I would expect Porsche to come up with a better way to fix this issue. How about a new seat belt system completely!!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Lotus350
I will have to make sure my dealer do not install these things on my CS next time I go in. Boy, they look terrible.
Your dealer does not have a choice, even if you specifically tell them NOT to carry out A506.
The legal liabilities aside, PCNA will not authorize the dealer to perform ANY service under warranty unless all safety actions/recalls/TSB's are peformed on the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Lotus350
I would expect Porsche to come up with a better way to fix this issue. How about a new seat belt system completely!!
I don't think that will happen, for obvious financial reasons. PAG has made their decision and A506 is it.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cayenne Austin
Has anyone noticed if NEW Cayenne's on the lot have the "fix?" Seems to me it would be a barrier to sales....so either they fix them during prep, or is there a differenet fix for unsold cars?
My Cayenne was in for service this week and A506 was installed.
The service paperwork states to "Check VIN # for service action eligibility, yaydayadayada...."
New Cayennes inbound do NOT require A506, even though their seatbelt systems "LOOK" the same.
I asked my dealer if A506 needed to be done to new Cayennes, he said No. Huh, go figure.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:52 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
I asked my dealer if A506 needed to be done to new Cayennes, he said No. Huh, go figure.
Doesn't seem too mysterious to me. They either got the supplier to fix the problem or changed supplier for the units. Problem solved. VINs after xx date don't need the fix. It's not like Porsche makes seatbelts.

Since the new Cay's don't need the fix, I'm sure that a "NEW" part for later model Cay's could be installed and "fix" the problem that way also. The clip saves PCNA bux.

Alex

Quick Reply: Unacceptable!!!!! (sorry for the bad pics)