Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Cayennes eat their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
LeS+
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple, Power My friend, Power. Same happens w/ my E55.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 PM
LeS+
8th Gear

Simple, Power My friend, Power. Same happens w/ my E55.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:40 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Ok you guys are turning me off from the Cayenne.
I have Michelin 4X4 Synchrone's on my 03 Range Rover with 80,000 km and they look still have at least another 20 k to go.
I can't see going through tires that quickly as being a good selling point or safe.
If you're not looking for a performance vehicle, then by all means don't buy a Cayenne Turbo. It's the fastest SUV on the planet, not the cheapest. Performance vehicles eat tires when you drive them hard. Look at race cars. They blow through tires every couple hundredy miles...

If you want long lasting tires, try using hard compount all season tires and drive the CT like a grandma. I'm sure you'll get great tire lifespans.

Alex
Old 06-22-2005, 06:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ajauch
Come on, it's not the weight of the turbo, it's the extra horsepower... DUH!

I find myself doing little drag races from standing starts just to hear the engine wind out. I'm sure I could get longer wear if I drove more conservatively but what would be the point? Might as well sell the CT and buy a regular SUV.

I've never had a P-car get over 15K miles on a set of tires. They beg to be driven hard and that's what I do. Why would you have a Porsche unless you planned to drive it hard.

Alex
DUH!....Hmmn, Where to begin........
Physics, mechanics, statics/dynamics..............never mind. I guessing it wouldn't be appropriate in this case.

In the absense of wheel spin during your 'little drag races' (no, you're not allowed to put down Clorox bleach and smoke the tires), exactly how does the increase from 345hp to 450hp affect tire life? Please help me understand this as well as you appear to. I'm assuming you do understand this, otherwise there would be no need for 'DUH'.

Exactly how does a Porsche 'beg to be driven hard'?
Do you get a discount on service or your next Porsche if you 'drive it hard'? Do you get extra credit for how many Type 1 Rev limiter hits you record? Is it somewhere in the sales literature or owner's manual?

Why would you have a Porsche unless you planned to drive it hard?
That depends....maybe you buy the appropriate Porsche for the appropriate driving? Cup car for the track... Cayenne to be a daily driver and tow vehicle?

Quick Reply: Why do Cayennes eat their tires?