Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo vs. Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:05 AM
thomas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It's hard to unravel some of the misinformation and contradictions in this thread, but I'm at the same decision, although I'm looking at the Range Rover Supercharged (catchy name, not) versus the Cayenne Turbo. These two are direct competitors, the RR Sport is, as already mentioned, a smaller Range Rover body styled for "sport" and dropped on the smaller, less sophisticated underpinnings of the conventional Land Rover chassis dating back into the 90's, if not the 80's. The Range Rover is based on the entirely new chassis developed by BMW and sold for a song to Ford. Ford has addressed shortcomings in the four-wheel independent suspension design by programming some very clever behaviour to mimic a fixed beam axle off-road while using the previously discontinued Discover technology to all but eliminate body roll while cornering on road at speed. Very impressive handling on- and off-road and very comfortable to be in a tall-standing SUV without having to brace a knee just to maintain pace through corners. The new engines are "Jaguar" engines ... whatever that really means, but, if nothing else, it will be interesting to go shopping for Jag and other Ford brands in their after-market and accessory catalogues.

The Turbo still works out more expensive than the RRSC regardless of options, but the difference is a single digit percentage, so I won't try to fool myself into a "bang for buck" comparison. It's just irksome to be paying another $10K+ in options for over-priced technology that's not even at the state of the art. Grumble...

In short, for my decision points, the RRSC is a clear winner in terms of luxury, refinement and cachet while the Turbo wins in terms of raw power (if you can overlook the insane level of turbo lag, which I can remedy) and the significantly higher levels of power available with a visit to a good tuner.

My "died in the wool Porschephile" life gives the nod to the Turbo, but I fully expect my wife will end up in the RRSC to replace the current Rangey.
The new Range Rover Sport uses the new LR3's chassis.

The LR3 has an...

(from edmunds.com)

"Integrated body frame is just a fancy way of saying that the LR3's traditional ladder frame is aided in crash-worthiness by a body that has almost unibodylike strength. In most typical body-on-frame designs, the frame provides all the strength while the bolted-on body simply holds the passengers. The LR3's body, though, has extra strong sills that literally envelope its frame. So closely does it wrap around, in fact, that in the case of an accident, the body is forced into the frame rails greatly adding to its strength. Land Rover says that this significantly increases resistance during offset crashes, the common bugaboo of body-on-frame designs."

The new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport uses a 6 speed ZF automatic transmission.

The 300 hp 4.4 liter V-8 used in the LR3 is based on Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 but modified for off-road duty. Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 is much better than the 4.0 liter V-8 in the 1997 Jaguar XK8.

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html

New Range Rover Sport

Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many opinions.. My take for what its worth --- A Land Rover SUV is still a Brit vehicle with a reputation for taking you anywhere with all the gadgets failing long before the vehicle finally dies. While the new Porsche SUV is a German vehicle with a reputation for incredible power and handling with 'glitches' that hopefully will be found and fixed before "your 'warranty' time is up!!" To each his own -- But, hey, please remember this IS a Cayenne forum. I'll still take my S over ANY Land Rover for mostly "street" driving. As we say in the south, do I hear an amen?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Range Rover was completely redone by BMW around 2003 ... I guess the other vehicles in the line-up from Land Rover were developed by Fraud ... I mean Ford. I did a Land Rover focus group and talking with LR people, it seems that if they didn't sell the Disco and their smaller vehicle, LR would be in big (bigger) trouble. Ford just doesn't seem to know how to catch a break these days. The Mustang is selling, the Ford GT is a great product but still a little lacking in "desire" ... but I digress ... anyway, the RR is a Bimmer ...
Old 07-06-2005, 11:30 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Gear, 6/19, Ford GT broke down 1 day after delivery, misc problems for 2 weeks mostly with electronic glitches.

lol its owned by one of the presenters.

Things aint so bad
Old 07-08-2005, 03:52 AM
BobM
AutoX

Originally Posted by mudman2
Top Gear, 6/19, Ford GT broke down 1 day after delivery, misc problems for 2 weeks mostly with electronic glitches.

lol its owned by one of the presenters.
And if you read Clarkson's Times column from 3rd July you'll see his problems continue and he's handed it back for a refund.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Great article Taffy, thanks
Old 07-10-2005, 04:29 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"I actually saw a RR Sport a couple of months ago with Manufacturer plates. I thought it looked cool. But it was no Cayenne."

You mean Toureg, dontcha?

LOL...
Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"The Cayenne Turbo is a Porsche and drives like a Porsche. The Range Rover drives like a brick."

A 5800lb porsche maybe. BTW, the Cayenne is a VW.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:19 PM
sirees01
Track Day

Default CT all the way

I have a CT & test drove a RR Sport Supercharged last week.

Trust me the RR Sport doesn't even come close in any department.
It look nicer than a Cayenne, but the handling/performance/fuel consumption/ is just no where near a Cayenne Turbo.

BobM: I see you are in Swansea, South Wales, mee too.Get in touch if you want to talk cars.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sirees01
I have a CT & test drove a RR Sport Supercharged last week.

It look nicer than a Cayenne, but the handling/performance/fuel consumption/ is just no where near a Cayenne Turbo.

BobM: I see you are in Swansea, South Wales, mee too.Get in touch if you want to talk cars.
So the RR "Sport" doesn't come close to the Cayenne Turbo in any department except external design appeal.
But the RR Sport is not aimed at the Cayenne Turbo (at least in terms of price) it's more of an X5 and ML (of the new, non-off-road variety) while the real debate is whether Porsche or Ford (aka Land Rover) makes a subjectively more compelling super-ultra-luxo-sport-ute for US$100K. My vote goes in one sense to the CT (for me) and in another to the Range Rover Supercharged (for my wife) but I expect I'll wait until, like last time, I can get a Rangie for about $10K under MSRP to at least ease down that depreciation cliff a little ... and for me, I'm trying to find a second-hand Turbo (Titanium over Black) which I think is a pretty decent proposition in the "uber-ute" class.

Cheers,
Old 07-11-2005, 04:14 AM
BobM
AutoX

Originally Posted by sirees01

There are cars that use more fuel than a Cayenne Turbo?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:29 AM
sirees01
Track Day

Performance and fuel economy
RR SPORT Supercharged
CAYENNE TT

Maximum Speed mph (kph)
140/225
165/266

Acceleration - secs 0-60 (0-96kph)
7.2 sec
5.6 sec

Urban L/100km (Mpg)
22.4 (12.6)
21.9 (12.9)

CAYENNE TT is streets ahead of the RR Sport.

Extra Urban L/100km (Mpg)
11.7 (24.2)
11.9 (23.7)

Combined L/100km (Mpg)
15.9 (17.8)
15.7 (18.0)
Old 07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
thomas
Instructor

Originally Posted by BobM
And if you read Clarkson's Times column from 3rd July you'll see his problems continue and he's handed it back for a refund.
Why would Roush be charged with servicing and maintaining the 28 Ford GTs in Britain?

Are Roush Mustangs even sold in Europe?
Old 07-12-2005, 05:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You have probably not been to a Ford dealer in the UK. That would be the last place I would take anything.

Sorry Ford things may have improved....but I doubt it.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The same can be said of most any Ford dealership I've seen in the US.
Just to take this thread on yet another tangent ... ... my vote for best Porsche service center appearance would go to MY Porsche near Laguna Seca. Very nice.
Of course the new Ferrari dealer in Redwood City is amazing, but that doesn't count. www.ferrarisiliconvalley.com ... money.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo vs. Range Rover Sport