Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you keep a Cayenne Turbo out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005 | 11:51 AM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Default Would you keep a Cayenne Turbo out of warranty?

I'm considering a CT, but am wondering if anyone plans on keeping it out of the warranty period. Having extra miles and time on a warranty may actually push me towards a low mileage 04 or 05 over a new 05. Or, if it's really a gamble to have one out of warranty, is it better to lease? I'd prefer not to lease, but I suppose I'd consider it.
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:40 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

In a word, NO. I've got a S with air suspension which I tow with (works great) but I plan on replacing the vehicle at warranty expiration time...
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:49 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

My CTT is my seventh Porsche turbo and only two have been new enough for a warranty - 02 996 TT & 04 CTT. I've never had any real problems with any of them. If my CTT stays as trouble free as it has been I would have no problem keeping it beyond its warranty. However, there are a lot more things to go wrong on these newer vehicles. The best option would be to have your vehicle Porsche Certified to 100K.
Old 04-12-2005 | 02:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I find it difficult enough owning one while it's in warranty.
Old 04-12-2005 | 03:17 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

I think it depends upon your level of risk tolerance, and the experience of your particular vehicle. Mine has been great with all the updates with no serious problems. Most likely I will keep mine. As I've mentioned before, I have been unable to get an extended warranty because I live in CA, and there are laws here that restrict the warranty industry, so that some don't want to do business here. The one company who will insure a Cayenne won't insure a Turbo, so I'm out of luck. Things may change in the next 2 years though before my warranty runs out.
Old 04-12-2005 | 04:15 PM
sfbimmer
Instructor

Philg3,

I wonder why they won't warranty your car? I bought mine from Carlsen (Redwood City, CA) and it's got 100K warranty.

What are the laws that you speak of?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 04-13-2005 | 10:14 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Patrick,

I've checked on the internet, and after I enter the model and other pertinent info, it comes back with either they don't offer policies in CA or they don't offer policies for the Turbo. Do you have a Turbo? Can you provide some details of your policy, and what you paid for it? To be fair, I haven't asked any dealers for policies, but since you got one from Carlsen, I probably could as well.

I've been told that in CA, there are laws that regulate these policies, and as I understand it, only car insurance policies can be issued rather than warranties. It may mean the same thing to us, but there is a difference, and some companies don't like it.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 04-13-2005 | 04:07 PM
sfbimmer
Instructor

Hey Phil,

Yes, I have a Cayenne Turbo, 2004. I don't believe it's that hard to get extended warranty for your car. I paid an additional $2K for it. Just inquire with a Porsche dealership and they should be able to quote you a price.

The extended warranty is the same as the new car warranty that came with the car (4y/50K), but ADDS 2y/50K on top, total of 7y/100K miles. So for my car, it's warranted up to 2011/100K.

Is it worth it? At first I was hesitant, but after hearing about all the little and BIG issues the Cayenne is prone to (both S and Turbo), it gives me a lot of peace of mind to drive it and not have to worry. Especially having the air suspension, and it being a forced induction car.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

ps-- BTW, did you hear about the upcoming P-car meet sponsored by Akkurat and Carlsen in the Bay Area? I'm looking forward to meeting other Pepper owners!

Info link:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=22905
Old 04-13-2005 | 04:27 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Hey Patrick,

Did you get that warranty after you bought the car? or during purchase? just curious.

Also I'm sign up for that P-car meet, there's only 2 cayenne's on the list my S and a CTT, u going?
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:23 PM
sfbimmer
Instructor

Hi Alex,

Yes, I'm going-- #17 on the list. I hear there are SIX Cayenne's signed up so far (I only counted three on the current roll). Can't wait!

You can get the warranty after you buy the car as well. I hear that they offer it to you before new car warranty one expires. It should cost about $2K. Might be well worth it.

-Patrick
Old 04-13-2005 | 08:37 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

OK,

Got off my behind and made a couple of calls to a couple of Porsche dealers. Carlsen quoted me $3,790 for a 6 year/ 72K warranty/200 deductible for the 2004 CT. The clock for the 6 years starts when you buy the warranty, not from the day the car was purchased. They use a company called SGI.

Another local dealer initially quoted me $3,650 for a 7 year / 70K warranty / $100 deductible through JM&A Group. The clock for this one started 2 years ago when I purchased the vehicle. It's their platinum plan that covers just about everything. After some discussion with the dealer regarding price, he gave me a call back, and reduced it to $2,694. He's sending me a brochure, and the chances are I will go with that one. I don't want to disclose the identity of this dealer because, for all I know, Carlsen may monitor this board and might screw up my deal that hasn't happened yet, or call to flame them. To be fair, I didn't give Carlsen a chance to lower their price because my other phone was ringing.

Phil

Quick Reply: Would you keep a Cayenne Turbo out of warranty?