Cayenne tyres question...need your expert opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
Torags,

on the 18's they didnt have the xl rating for 255/55/18 on the geolander ht-s 052 they got it on 285/60 18, can i use this size? if not i will go for the pirelli ice and snow next time, they're sold out
at tirerack :-)
The 52's are the widest profile of the three in the series. Pirelli ice & snow have excellent reports form these boards, check out the wear rating. If its just for snow, get the snowflake on the tire. They may have wider sipes, that might not be good for all year use (dry traction).
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a lengthy conversation regarding XL ratings with one of the people at Tirerack when I purchased my Pirelli Scorpion Asimmetrico tires. According to him, the XL rating only indicates that a tire has a maximum load rating which is higher than normal FOR ITS SIZE. Accordingly, ANY tire with a rating of, say 2000 pounds, will safely carry the same load as any other tire with the same max load rating, regardless of whether it carries the XL rating or not. Max load is max load.

Thought this might be of interest.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 04-01-2005, 02:51 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Jeff,

I guess my only issue is the H rating in case I want to go crazy

this is what i got right now.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+H%2FT-S+G052
Old 04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
plianides
Intermediate

Jeff, All other things being equal, an extra load tire can alter the driving characteristics. I went from a 275/40/20 (extra load) to a 295/40/20 (standard load). They both had the same load rating - I assume because the 295's have a somewhat larger profile (the larger the profile, the hight the load rating) it offset the SL rating. Notwithstanding the same load rating, I could "feel" a significant different between the two tires. The xl tires had a much stiffer ride quality.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:28 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

An interesting observation. I do not claim to be particularly knowledgable, but it makes sense to me that "any" 275 tire would normally be a bit stiffer than its bigger 295 brother, if the load ratings were the same.

In the sizes that Porsche recommends, the XL rating is required, to hold the weight of the vehicle. However, if you go to a bigger tire, a standard load rating will suffice, since it will be support around the same weight, but Porsche does not recommend oversize tires for this application, though many of us use them anyway.

Safe driving,

Jeff
Old 04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
plianides
Intermediate

Jeff, I agree.

Though I am not so sure that over-sized tires are intrinsically inferior for the Cayenne compared to the stock sizes. Sometimes I wonder the "reasoning" for Porsche recommending particular sizes. It may possibly have more to do with finding tires for 18", 19" and 20" wheels, with a standard diameter so as not to alter the calibration for the speedometer, odometer, etc..

Quick Reply: Cayenne tyres question...need your expert opinion