Sponsored by:

Headlight error

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Hopefully it will continue to work for you. Mine hasn't had another issue since I tightened up the bolts.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:20 PM
blained
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw somebody mention replacing the socket - how hard is that? I didn't see where it would snap out, but I noticed the contact ring inside does seem to be loose and also the one contact looks like it has burned through. This had previously been fixed by the dealer by giving the contacts an aggressive cleaning after I had tentatively cleaned the contacts (still being a newbie to working with the xenon light assemblies, I didn't know how delicate the systems might be). However, I think it might be appropriate to replace the socket this time, and would rather take care of that myself since it's not under warranty these days.

Thanks,
Blaine
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
blained
Track Day

Oh, and to supply a bit of missing info, I'm dealing with the left turnsignal socket on a xenon system. Does the socket need to come from the dealer, or does anybody else carry it?
Thanks again,
Blaine
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

Where can I find TSB 9414? My headlights flicker a lot and I've gotten the "dipped headlight" warning several times. When the dealer checked it they said they couldn't recreate the problem. I would assume if it's as simple as tightening the bolts they would have done it. But maybe I need to try and fix it myself.
Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo S
Where can I find TSB 9414? My headlights flicker a lot and I've gotten the "dipped headlight" warning several times. When the dealer checked it they said they couldn't recreate the problem. I would assume if it's as simple as tightening the bolts they would have done it. But maybe I need to try and fix it myself.
Thanks!
Don't know about the TSB, but this is what I did to fix my problem with loose connections. I converted the system from a cartridge to a harness like the 957s. Best part is this is reversible if you want to go back (have to spend a little dollars though)

Here is what you need.

1. a permanent marker.
2. A Dremel tool or something to shave plastic with.
3. $35 plus shipping if you screw up.
4. Patience.
5. You can't blame me if you screw up your car.

So look in your manual and remove a headlight, with that bugger out of the way you will see it acts like a Nintendo cart you used to blow on (admit it, you know you did it). Except blowing doesn't work.

Set the light aside, you are done with it for now.

If you look you will see a white connector that the headlight mates to. You should be able to easily slide that out. Take the sharpie and write TOP on top of it. Bottom too if you think you need the extra help.

The other end of the cable connects to the actual wiring loom, depending on the side of the car, the whole plug will slide out to the left or right and you can wiggle the cable out from behind to get some slack. It is a black connector.

This part is up to you, either remove the cable from the black connector, or leave it in the car and make a mess.

Now is the part with the dremmel, and the 20ft extension cord since you left it in the car.

You want to shave the WHITE connector's outside clips down to a rectangle so that it will clear its original mount for the headlight bracket. I.E. you do not want it to be mounted in place, you want it to easily slide in and out of the original mounting hole. (No comments please). You want the plug to still fit snug in the headlight itself.

Once this is done, plug the black connector back in to the small pigtail harness, but don't mount it back to the headlight bracket. Leave it loose, maybe zip tie if you see how it all goes together.

Now you should have enough slack to plug your dremmeled white end into the headlight and slide it back into the car and lock into place.

I have had this like this for almost 2 months and no more check dipped beam errors or flickering.

If you don't like it you can always go back to stock, just buy a new harness from suncoast. Part number 955 631 239 00, number 19 on the pic. 16 is wha the headlight slides into, 18 is the loose bolt x4 people are talking about I believe.

If people want pics I can post.
Attached Images  

Last edited by touareg; 02-18-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

Pictures would be fantastic. Please!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM
pakimunda101
Track Day

I tried doing this and accidentally broke the mounting bracket? Anyone know where to purchase a new bracket? Also how hard is it to install the bracket back in , do you have to take the bumper off?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the bucket from the dealer, check with Sunset or Suncoast for the best price. You should be able to replace without removing the bumper, you may have to go from under the car to reach the outside mounting bolts. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:42 PM
StefV
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by touareg
Don't know about the TSB, but this is what I did to fix my problem with loose connections. I converted the system from a cartridge to a harness like the 957s. Best part is this is reversible if you want to go back (have to spend a little dollars though)

Here is what you need.

1. a permanent marker.
2. A Dremel tool or something to shave plastic with.
3. $35 plus shipping if you screw up.
4. Patience.
5. You can't blame me if you screw up your car.

So look in your manual and remove a headlight, with that bugger out of the way you will see it acts like a Nintendo cart you used to blow on (admit it, you know you did it). Except blowing doesn't work.

Set the light aside, you are done with it for now.

If you look you will see a white connector that the headlight mates to. You should be able to easily slide that out. Take the sharpie and write TOP on top of it. Bottom too if you think you need the extra help.

The other end of the cable connects to the actual wiring loom, depending on the side of the car, the whole plug will slide out to the left or right and you can wiggle the cable out from behind to get some slack. It is a black connector.

This part is up to you, either remove the cable from the black connector, or leave it in the car and make a mess.

Now is the part with the dremmel, and the 20ft extension cord since you left it in the car.

You want to shave the WHITE connector's outside clips down to a rectangle so that it will clear its original mount for the headlight bracket. I.E. you do not want it to be mounted in place, you want it to easily slide in and out of the original mounting hole. (No comments please). You want the plug to still fit snug in the headlight itself.

Once this is done, plug the black connector back in to the small pigtail harness, but don't mount it back to the headlight bracket. Leave it loose, maybe zip tie if you see how it all goes together.

Now you should have enough slack to plug your dremmeled white end into the headlight and slide it back into the car and lock into place.

I have had this like this for almost 2 months and no more check dipped beam errors or flickering.

If you don't like it you can always go back to stock, just buy a new harness from suncoast. Part number 955 631 239 00, number 19 on the pic. 16 is wha the headlight slides into, 18 is the loose bolt x4 people are talking about I believe.

If people want pics I can post.

After lots of fiddling with the headlight and connector on my 2004 CTT, I am thinking this is the right thing to do.
If I push the white connector in the headlight by hand, and press hard, turn signals are working. But if I just put the headlight in the car, no luck. Headlights work but not the turn signal.

But I have a question: this white connector does not seem to stay put in the headlight socket, instead it is very loose. If I do what you suggest, I need a way to hold the white connector in place at the back of the headlight.
Is that your experience too, did you rig something to get this connector to stay in place? Or should it stay in place by itself, in which case something is messed up on mine?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:10 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Most likely socket is worn out, some have jammed toothpicks. I new harness may be your best bet.

I have a thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...going-out.html
Old 07-26-2020, 03:09 AM
StefV
Cruisin'

Alright, all is fixed now, thanks Touareg for the super helpful thread!

I just followed what you did. My mistake was that when I tried to put the plug in the back of the headlight, I did not push hard enough, and I did not wiggle it enough. Once I wiggled it and pushed harder, indeed the plug went it and gave a tight fit. I cut the extra plastic bits on the plug, put the headlight back in, and now all is working as expected. Will report if anything goes wrong again later, but so far so good.

I think your suggestion is a much better design than the original setup btw, I don't see any reason not to do it.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Headlight error