Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing ball size on Porsche receiver bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:15 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts
Default Changing ball size on Porsche receiver bar?

My incoming trailer needs a 2 5/16" ball and the Porsche receiver has a 2" ball- any no-no to changing the ball size on the same solid bar- haven't even looked to see if the hole is bigger for the slightly bigger ball. Anyone else had to do this?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It should not matter to the receiver what size ball you are using. The whole in the receiver should also work with a variety of different size trailer *****.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The hole in the factory Tequipment ball carrier is 1 1/4" IIRC, so fitting a 2 5/16" ball should not be a problem.
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=B114

On a related note, did you check the offset of the Tequipment carrier against the trailer (with ride height set to 'Normal' is PASM equipped)?
I was able to do this before ordering the trailer (quick trip to the trailer company), just to be sure.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skl.. Does the trailer head fit over the ball (the clearance is tight) You might have to grind a little.

Maybe trying the fit on before you go out to party makes sense. No clue as to bolt size. Sounds like a big trailer, keep in mind your max tongue weight (650 no plus just -)
Old 03-04-2005, 06:01 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Will have to wait until trailer comes in a couple weeks to check the drop and see if the factory hitch will work. Tried to get the old bolt off the hitch and some gorilla must have put it on in the black forrest- will let the hitch place deal with that! Trailer is a 18' V nose all aluminum ATC with dry weight of around 2500lbs. Mostly I'll be towing a spec Miata but once in a while the GT3... maiden voage is to Heartland Park Topeka in early April- unfortunately I'll have to drive thru Kansas City for the first trip- that's no fun in a regular car. I'd love to know what drugs the designer of the KC freeway system was using but that's another story.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Torags
Skl.. Does the trailer head fit over the ball (the clearance is tight) You might have to grind a little.
Forget that... Checked mine... Plenty of room. Can't you request a unit for a 2" ball?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

My "porsche hitch and ball" arrived and the ball was too small too (2") they just cut off the old ball, placed the larger ball on and the height was already perfect! Perhaps you will have the same good luck!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ball size used is directly related to the gross wieght of the trailer. A 2" ball has a limit, probably 5000lbs so because of product liability the trailer manufacturer likely would not fit the smaller part.

You also might consider one of the ***** that allow you to interchange on the same post. By simply driving out a pin on the ball you can switch between a 2 and 2 5/16 ball. That way you do not have to mess with the big nut on the bottom which is always tough to remove.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brent 89-GT
The ball size used is directly related to the gross wieght of the trailer. A 2" ball has a limit, probably 5000lbs so because of product liability the trailer manufacturer likely would not fit the smaller part.

You also might consider one of the ***** that allow you to interchange on the same post. By simply driving out a pin on the ball you can switch between a 2 and 2 5/16 ball. That way you do not have to mess with the big nut on the bottom which is always tough to remove.
I agree...

But doesn't the Pepper pull 7,000lb plus? with 650+lb tongue weight limit, with a 2" ball.

How does a ball adapter resolve the issue?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at a couple of ***** I had in the garage. Both the 2" and the 2 5/16" I had were stamped for a 6000lb rating. So I'm not sure exactly what all of it means. I know for a fact that I have hauled 8000 lbs with the 2 5/16's ball back and forth across the country for years now. maybe I should consider a different, higher rated version myself

I would say that just because the Cayenne is rated for a specific number does not mean that the additional equipment is similarly rated. The trailer ball should be stamped on top with a rating. M-B sold a slew of G500's rated for 7700 lbs towing yet does not provide any provision for fitting and electric brake controller. In fact they expressly state not to hook one up to that trucks electronic systems. So I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in factory ratings.

All that said, my 20 years of towing stuff around, from a boat to driving semis, I would just fit the larger ball and if you regularly need two sizes, buy the interchnageable system. I personally to not have the Techquipment insert but use the various ones I have around from other trucks, any 2" insert works.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skl
Tried to get the old bolt off the hitch and some gorilla must have put it on in the black forrest- will let the hitch place deal with that!
PAG applies a thread locking agent in place of a lockwasher (like most trailer companies will do).
You may have to cut it off or heat it in order to break the thread lock.

Quick Reply: Changing ball size on Porsche receiver bar?