Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Phones and Cayennes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Bluetooth Phones and Cayennes

Has anybody here had any experience adapting a bluetooth phone to PCM? I have a Treo 650 and am wondering if I need to order any special PCM options for a Cay TT to make this work. PalmOne sells a cigarette lighter powered gadget for Treo 650s that acts as a speaker phone - is this the way to go?
Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 02-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Mulsanne-a-be
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not aware of a factory option to adapt bluetooth to PCM. I have the Pieker system that was offered by the dealer and while it works fine, I continually get complaints about the sound quality . . . especially from my wife (I have to hear about it everytime I use it). I'm to the point where I actually turn it off to make a call. Now I am thinking of switching to the Sony solution to see if that makes a difference.

Would love to hear any others experiences with aftermarket bluetooth systems.

Eric
Old 02-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put the Motorola Blue Tooth Kit into both my Cayenne and 996. In each case the only choice was to use an FM Modulator. I have had better sounding sound kits but the installations are clean and only the control module shows. They are easy to set up to your various Bluetooth phones, I am in the process of setting up the voice commands. Both of my bluetooth kits are installed in the PCM II systems. Good Luck!!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

If you buy the factory phone prep kit, you will discover that you have actually purchased the THB Bury System-8 setup. The nice thing about this arrangement is that THB supports many different phone models via plug-in cradles. In fact, they support a Bluetooth adapter AND have a cradle specifically for the Treo. I have this setup installed on my 2004 S and it works quite nicely. I am using a V60 cradle for my wife's phone out of her S430 and I have the Bluetooth adapter to use with my HP Ipqa H6315 Pocket PC Phone. Mind you, I have the CDR-23 radio and NOT PCM-II. However, I believe that Porsche finally fixed the phone prep kit to work with PCM-II vehicles.

Toby
Old 02-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Toby, Does this mean that I should get the phone kit and then buy the bluetooth cradle adapter as an aftermarket gadget? Or are you saying something else?
Thanks Toby...and Eric...appreciate your comments.
-dave
Old 02-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

My suggestion would be to purchase and install the factory phone prep kit. Since you did not indicate whether you have PCM-II installed or not, that will be the deciding factor.

If you have ordered your TT and are awaiting build, by all means have the phone prep kit installed at the factory. The after-build installation is NOT a pretty picture - lots of stuff removed and re-installed and you will be paying for about 13 hours of labor. Once the prep kit is installed, you can simply buy the appropriate cradle for your specific phone, or buy the Blue Adapter from THB. Be aware that Porsche contracted with THB for their phone kits since it will integrate with the CDR-23 and the MOST ring. Any System 8 cradle will work with this setup. It is a nice, integrated setup and works quite well in my 2004 S.

Toby
Old 02-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks, will do,...with all the banter going on about Panoramic roof leaks maybe I'll load up on the phone kit instead!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
PorscheCayenne04
Intermediate

I have a Parrot kit hooked up in my S and it works great. The advantage of this kit is that it has a called id screen. Works great with my Motorola V3.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:19 AM
TheTKDKid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
My suggestion would be to purchase and install the factory phone prep kit. Since you did not indicate whether you have PCM-II installed or not, that will be the deciding factor.

If you have ordered your TT and are awaiting build, by all means have the phone prep kit installed at the factory. The after-build installation is NOT a pretty picture - lots of stuff removed and re-installed and you will be paying for about 13 hours of labor. Once the prep kit is installed, you can simply buy the appropriate cradle for your specific phone, or buy the Blue Adapter from THB. Be aware that Porsche contracted with THB for their phone kits since it will integrate with the CDR-23 and the MOST ring. Any System 8 cradle will work with this setup. It is a nice, integrated setup and works quite well in my 2004 S.

Toby
Toby,

Thanks for this info. I have an '05 TT with a phone prep kit that was installed at the factory, but have not purchased a cradle yet. Do you know where I can order the Bluetooth Adapter from? Who is THB? Do they have a website?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:16 AM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PorscheCayenne04
I have a Parrot kit hooked up in my S and it works great. The advantage of this kit is that it has a called id screen. Works great with my Motorola V3.
I've been looking at that kit for my S. Their supprt staff (US or France) had no info for me re Porsche install. Do you have the PCM ? I'm on the CDR headunit and was wondering how hard the install is. Any chance you can post a pic?

thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 AM
PorscheCayenne04
Intermediate

I swapped my PCM out for a Eclipse 5424. It allows me DVD functions as well as touch screen and better nav. But the Parrot should work fine with the pcm, it has its own speaker.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Phones and Cayennes