Sponsored by:

HELP! Aluminum trim: PROPER way to clean and preserver

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 03:46 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation HELP! Aluminum trim: PROPER way to clean and preserver

Dear All, I just noticed that my rear aluminum strip under the rear glass hatch has developed lots of small rust dots. It looks like s..t!!!! Also, the lower aluminum strips have small dark staining that does not come off. I only tried stainless steel cleaner and not luck. HELP!
I think the rear piece should be replaced under the warranty as it is incredible to have rust on a 2 year old car!

ANy help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

My dealer replaced all the lower alu trims of my Cayenne since it was no longer possible to get them clean again. The new ones have a better quality.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:17 AM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally aluminum can't rust - it can become oxidized - but not rust (same for most stainless steel). But, when I lived in Frankfurt, I had some 'rust' spots appear on a stainless steel bush guard (that Ipaid large $ for) and I was informed that the spots are actual metal articles in the air that have accumulated on the stainless steel - in other words - sort of like iron particles in the air that landed on the bush guard on my SUV. The other alternative was that the actual metal I purchased was an inferior product in which the alloys was very poorly mixed (and because of the mixture this was highly unlikely). Being an older biker, I thought about my Harley and these spots, so I cleaned the spots with S100 Cleaner and they went away nicely and never returned. Therefore, I think it may have been air borne oxidation - whatever, it worked. IMHO, when you wax your vehicle, be sure that no wax goes on the chrome, SS or ALU - wax tends to clog up these metals. Use cleaner/polish specifically designed for such metals (preferably cleaners/polishes with no oils in them - dirt catchers). There are many things out there to clean and protect the bright stuff on one's toys, but personally, I would only use S100 on chrome, stainless steel or aluminum - works well and leaves no nasty film. I use S100 on the chrome, stainless steel and aluminum on my Harley's and it has never failed to keep things bright, shiny and beautiful (it is as fine as toothpaste). I am sure there are many remedies out there so good luck. JW
Old 02-21-2005, 06:47 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slap me silly and call me Judy!! Tried Never Dull and it rocks!!! Better then new.....Will try S100 next....
JW, going to Hamburg next week for 3-4 days....have been there before but is there anything I should get for my Cay that is worth buying in Germany??
Old 02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
JW3
Racer

With this exchange rate, a person really has to shop and know the prices here (Europe) and there (in the USA). During the exchange rate blues period over here, I use a US credit card for many purchases because you should get a better exchange rate (check with your card company because the EURO cents here and there do add up). Don't forget, besides the exchange rate, there is 16% Sales Tax here in Germany (otherwise known as Mehrwertsteuer or 'Mwst' for short). Other than the 'I bought it in Germany' phrase, I would be veru selective (back home some dealers will give you a decent price - here NOT the norm at all). Besides, if you see something and pass it up, send me a PM and we'll talk it. Once again,
Old 02-22-2005, 02:06 PM
JW3
Racer

With this exchange rate, a person really has to shop and know the prices here (Europe) and there (in the USA). During the exchange rate blues period over here, I use a US credit card for many purchases because I get a better exchange rate (check with your card company because the EURO cents here and there do add up). Don't forget, besides the exchange rate, there is 16% Sales Tax here in Germany (otherwise known as Mehrwertsteuer or 'Mwst' for short). Other than the 'I bought it in Germany' phrase, I would be very selective with purchases (back home some dealers will give you a decent price - here that is NOT the norm at all). Besides, if you see something and pass it up, send me a PM and we'll talk it. Have a great time in Hamburg ! JW

Quick Reply: HELP! Aluminum trim: PROPER way to clean and preserver