Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great summary Jeff
Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 CD version arrived this afternoon.. going to a sports event for one of my kids (330 pm CST) in the area that wasn't mapped previously.. so I'll see what happens and give you a report.. the cd's are broken out this way
1. NE USA, NC USA, and Canada
2. SE USA and SC USA
3. West USA, Central USA, and Canada

will update tonight and you can private forum message any areas/streets you want checked out before you buy and I'll try my best to accommodate..
Old 01-24-2005, 09:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 948 Likes on 577 Posts

I emailed Navtech and they told me they wouldn't have an update for the '04 Cayenne until August...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fascinating
Old 01-25-2005, 01:46 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Default NavTeq Update appears to be old data on 3 CD's

Quick update.. got an early morning.. popped in the new 3 CD version and it appears that they didn't do squat on updates in my area.. so it may be a combination of the two.. they added Canada thus made it 3 CD's and didn't update anything else and that comes out in August.. would some of you guys private post to me here some of the streets/cities that you think should be on an update in your area and I'll check it out... right now, I'm sending it back for a refund unless somehow I messed up.. I'm going to try again tomorrow, and see.. I'm not impressed with NavTeq and am concerned that they may not refund based on what is written on the invoice vs. what the call center rep told me on the phone.. Ahhhh, but I did use Amex so hopefully I'm covered.. Help! I need to get some more data points to decide but I'm betting "skl" may be right... hmmmm, wonder why my nincumpoop rep at NavTeq didn't say anything?????????
Old 01-25-2005, 06:45 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say if the 3 disc are really an "update" or just have a few new additions based upon area. I haven't had a real chance to see all that might me new or added but in my area they got the new off ramp and directions to my home included from my most travel freeway- This was missing from the previous set.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
JeffES
Pro

Dirty little secret.... NavT "backs up" their map data w/Mapquest (!!!!)
NavT has their own "data teams" out there mapping new developments, etc. - but only in a few major metro areas.
Upshot is this - if it isn't on MQ, the odds are good it won't be on NavT's discs.... (the ol' family ranch isn't there - and won't be for a while, I'm sure).
J
Old 01-26-2005, 12:48 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JeffES
Dirty little secret.... NavT "backs up" their map data w/Mapquest (!!!!)
NavT has their own "data teams" out there mapping new developments, etc. - but only in a few major metro areas.
Upshot is this - if it isn't on MQ, the odds are good it won't be on NavT's discs.... (the ol' family ranch isn't there - and won't be for a while, I'm sure).
J
Well I'm not so sure about that. I am evaluating the new 3 CD set and can tell you that mapquest has ALL the areas in the adjacent county and the new (2 years!) flyover to a mall in my metro area and this CD set doesn't have any of that. I'm more inclined to believe that their "teams" added some metro areas and Canada to the old data and it may indeed be until August (per other post) before the "Team" gets around to enhancing "existing" areas. I have emailed a customer service rep who contacted me today to ask specifically if the post about no update until August is true. Don't know if that will be much help as you see the email was a 12 day late response to my original query and they wanted to know what vehicle I needed the update for.. UH-hum.. it was in the email?! Nav Teq still unimpressive so far.. will update when I find out more..
Old 01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
JeffES
Pro

Mad...
they (NavT) use Mapquest as a backup - not an original source. Think of it as "filling in the blanks" after their live mapping.
J
Old 01-26-2005, 04:12 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Default "new" 3 CD version really isn't! Quote NavTeq.

From NavTeq: -----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 12:38 PM
To: abcd.efgh@abcd.com
Subject: Re: FW: Contact Us (KMM********)

abcd efgh,

Thank you for contacting Navteq. The next update for the Cayenne is the end of August 2005. It should have quite a bit of new road information. As for not finding some areas totally mapped, if you would take a minute and go to update.navteq.com and click on submit map feedback and enter in the information you find missing in the map data. This site goes directly to the dept that takes care of this.

NAVTEQ
Customer Contact Center
Well, I would say this confirms the status of this 3 CD version I got on Monday 1/24. I will be sending it back for a refund. For those of you that private messaged me, I will double check your locations but I'm assuming if your NAV doesn't have it now, that he is intimating that it won't be in this NON-update but differently packaged 3 CD's that I got! Guess we'll need to do this drill again in August. I did submit info at update.navteq.com feature about a year ago and guess it would be important for all of us on this board to send updates for our "home" areas as much as possible in the next few months.

Quick Reply: Navteq Update (3 CD)