Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navteq Update (3 CD)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This board does not support criminal activities. Keep such discussions of the air please.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:38 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mudman2 good call on edit! probably not wise.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:26 AM
JARO
Pro

just a joke! appologies!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Vino
Racer

Don't apologize..........

Should be illegal for Porsche to sell us a high priced Nav system with dated material from 3 years ago to run on.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:46 AM
JARO
Pro

ok...take it all back for that reason but out of respect for mudman I do not want this forum to become a piracy forum....I also can't believe they charge $200 for a CD. For that price I will burn a copy and keep original in a safe. You can get a copy of MS Streets and Maps for less.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:54 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Vino

So your willing to pay upwards of a 100 grand to get a TT and begrudge $200 for a nav update not from Porsche but from Navteq.

Get a real problem
Old 01-22-2005, 03:59 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Here's the deal as I see it. We all paid about $3K for a Nav System, then were supplied with an old set of maps from Navtech. Some of us who went to the next release saw all kinds of problems with that one including on ramps that are missing (from the S/W), although they are indeed on the highways. Then, I have my favorate Truckee Bypass that's on the S/W, but it's about 100 feet off from where it actually is, so that when you drive it, the system gets totally confused, and thinks you are off roading. My assessment is as follows:
1) Great Navigation System, but S/W has lots of errors
2) Update Price of $200 seems very high even if it were a quality product, which it is not -- $69 - $89 is where it really ought to be, and I know a lot about S/W pricing. Navtech is really missing the boat on this one, as many will get sticker shock and perhaps never update their S/W.
3) I don't need 3 CD's; I'd be interested in purchasing only one -- California / Nevada area, because if I go further, I'm going to fly.
4) Since my perception of the S/W's quality is what it is, I could not justify rewarding Navtech by giving them another $200 -- in the hope that they now have a quality product. Normally, you get what you pay for, but in this case, you get much less. BTW, the last time I spoke to Navtech, they blamed Porsche for all the shortcomings of the product.
5) I went to the Navtech website, and the description of the update was not very helpful to me.
6) With all the recalls, Porsche should have recalled these Navtech CD's, and replaced all of the FOC with a quality set.
7) I kind of got use to this inferior product, but someone brings it up and I get totally ticked.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Porsche specified the level of detail they wanted to Navteq, they were wrong.

The same company supply much better detailed CD's to other manufacturers.

I understand others pay similar amounts to Navteq for updates. Data is typically 2yrs out of date for all Nav systems.

It is what it is, I like it others don't.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

I think philg3 makes good points. NavTeq is just seeing what the market will bear (and philg3 won't bear it - I'm going to TEST it), I guess because they figure men (women, too) and their Porsches are willing to spend thousands on a mod(s), hundreds on logo wear, etc. etc., NavTeq is going to see how many will sell at $199 plus tax. In my case, I will let you know early next week what the product is like with 3 CD's. Again, I'll be happy to put in streets and addresses and check for folks.. If I don't get deluged with requests... But, philg3, sadly (because I love that drive during ski season!) I'm not going to drive to Truckee (know where it is served in a joint Navy/Air Force training unit at Mather AFB, Sac) to see if the update is 100 yards "better"!! Shucks.. 2500 miles from the southeast just seems way too big of a favor. But, as you say, unless their is a lot more detail and the high growth areas in our metro area are significantly improved, I'm sending it back and getting a refund. If enough people do that because it isn't enough of an improvement for $199, they'll get the message. Or if I'm the only "sucker" that buys one now that it is available, the price will tumble then, too. Will let everyone know next week. No snow here in the south.. but the high was 70 yesterday.. 36 tomorrow! My new Michelins won't get to see snow!
Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Vino
Racer

Originally Posted by mudman2
Vino

So your willing to pay upwards of a 100 grand to get a TT and begrudge $200 for a nav update not from Porsche but from Navteq.

Get a real problem
Thank you philg3

Honestly, spending $100k and getting 2002 based CD's that don't have your own neighborhood which was around since 2000 is BS.

That is like buying a high end computer with software from 3 years ago.

mudman2, I love the Navigation as well and the $200 for new CD's isn't a problem at all, never complained about the price as I'm sure you can see.

Just a side note, I don't come here to be advised to "get a real problem"
Old 01-23-2005, 01:12 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Vino, give me some data points and I'll be happy to check it out for you early next week. I'm with you... the $199 isn't the issue.. its the fact that we live in a real time world now.. 2-3 years is not acceptable to be behind in data entry. My college and high school boys can't believe some of the roads that aren't in the NAV discs. I have and have had some real nagging glitch type problems with my Cayenne.. love it.. but I do get a lot of grief from people who know how many times I've been to the dealer.. one of the things that bothers me is that I bring these posts and educate my dealer (who has been great and good service attitude). In another post, I'm convinced that my SUV has a floor heater issue.. now after my 2nd winter and another guy is saying he's got the same deal.. so now I finally have some ammo to say.. guys, we need to fix this, even tho' PCNA doesn't have info on this, it is indeed a problem... p.s. you can private email me to keep your info confidential. Hopefully, we'll be pleasantly surprised and they'll have major improvements.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Vino
Racer

Madfoxcays,

Much appreciated!!

I will send you an IM with my e-mail address and and address info so you can see if my area shows up. If it does I will jump and get the discs for sure
Old 01-23-2005, 03:36 AM
SF CAYENNE S 05
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very surprise PCNA doesn't cover up date free come now were spending this much money for out dated product what gives who is the sucker now, guess porsche just provide system never mention what verison atleast with my lexus a got 3 update or 4 years what ever comes first and that what i thought at least when i bought a 05 cs vs 00 lexus even back then this service was offer, what up with porsche.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:17 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Same as it does not cover service costs. If the Nav is the most important issue to you you should have bought a Lexus or an Acura who have great systems or an FX and have 3D ooooooo.

This is not even close to a new topic so excuse my yawn.

If you paid to be a member you could search the archive and find more info on this than you could read.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:55 AM
JeffES
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mud - good job on the edits. The fewer headaches, the better.
As to the thread - I put 99% of this on Nav$$&&&!!
Having spent much of last spring on a supplier project (no MOST... drat) involving Nav systems, well, let me say this - I'm shocked at the competition in consumer digital mapping. There isn't any.
Navteq, as the only real "player", has some of the most bizzare pricing/content schemes I've ever seen, which leads to some really whacky issues.
The other 20% (I know, that adds up to over 110%) is Porsche - Product planning doesn't seem to have a good handle on exactly which data to specify - so we get a middling level of content between the extremes of GM (amazing level of local "infotainment" data, lousy street mapping) and Toyota (great street detail, very little "infotainment" data). Personally, I'd prefer more street data, but hey -that's just me.
Given the entreprenurs here, how 'bout someone building a challenger to NavT??
J
PS - I still laugh over the "DVD" lable - all we're talking about is how much data do you want on one disc - it's purely an advertising issue. Just bc it's "dvd" based, do not expect any specific improvement over a "cd" based system. The real trick would be to solve the licensing issues so that data could be stored on board the vehicle itself, with downloads available either through disc loading or direct transfer via the service connection.......

Quick Reply: Navteq Update (3 CD)