Sponsored by:

update from PCNA on Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005 | 01:23 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
a prisoner of your own mind. a lemon is a lemon in CA if you have >30 days out of service. lemoning one car doesnt affect others. we gave back the QP but Ferrari doesnt think less of us, it's their problem. Porsche is business like on these issues as well. how many days out of service?
unfortunately there aren't many days out of service for hestation, oil burning, steering wheel vibration and tire eating issues that are deemed "normal". if something is "normal", they don't spend any time diagnosing because no problem to diagnose exists. the rest of the stuff (ie: worthless remotes, popping open rear glass hatch, TSBs for tranny ECU, fogged headlights, rear wiper fluid leaking, etc) were all taken care of in less than a cumulative week. the couple times the "air suspension failure" light has illuminated, it's gone off on it's own within a day or so. the visit to reset the computer which from new counted down from 2k for the first service (instead of 20k) also would probably be included in that cummulative week.

and yes, i do think ill will is created with a dealer (and manufacturer) when you lemon a car.
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:43 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

ben,

you are an optimiser and suffer for it. have you heard of nassim taleb? read page 3 here.

http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/postscriptfbr.pdf
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
....because if I was unhappy in any way I would voice my opinion.
Thank you.
Old 05-16-2005 | 02:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
ben,

you are an optimiser and suffer for it. have you heard of nassim taleb? read page 3 here.

http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/postscriptfbr.pdf
thanks for the article watt, however it shows that we don't know each other very well. i'm likely the most random living person you've met (no alarm clock use, shorts and t-shirts every day - whichever ones are on the top of my drawers, do pretty much what i feel like when i feel like doing it with very little scheduling, bought the house in CA while on vacation and and moved from Fla 3 weeks later!, etc). that last example is in fairly stark contrast to the optimizer example:

"An optimizer, by comparison, is the kind of person who will uproot himself and change his official residence just to reduce his tax bill by a few percentage points."

while we all have bits and pieces of all these categories (you can't categorize a human being in just one exclusively), i identified considerably more with the satisficer than the optimizer. ironically enough, my wife (the one who loves the cayenne) would more likely identify much stronger with the optimizer than the satisfier.

i'd very much like to spend some time with you (and the gang) up there because i think we'd probably have a lot more in common than you'd think.

Last edited by ben in lj; 05-16-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2005 | 12:34 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

benmeister,

then consider that the CT is good enough for HER
Old 05-17-2005 | 01:29 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

He paid his membership fee...he's got the right to post his negative experiences here. We should welcome ALL info, both good and bad, as it might just help us out some day down the road.

I love my Cayenne Turbo but some days I think it was assembled by a crew of retarded penguins.
Old 05-17-2005 | 01:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
He paid his membership fee...he's got the right to post his negative experiences here. We should welcome ALL info, both good and bad, as it might just help us out some day down the road.

I love my Cayenne Turbo but some days I think it was assembled by a crew of retarded penguins.

Slame the CT if you want but leave the poor penguins out of it.
Old 05-17-2005 | 04:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Penguins can sometimes be mischevious.............

But they sure are cute, all dressed up in little tuxedos
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2005 | 09:13 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

True, but to be completely fair I think Ben should ask his wife to post some comments here on what SHE thinks of her CT!

Old 05-17-2005 | 11:56 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Who paid for it?
Old 05-18-2005 | 12:15 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Ben, you deserve a medal for putting up with the guff for posting your CT experience. Both positive and negative experiences should be welcomed to this forum - a valuable source of information and reference!

Old 05-18-2005 | 01:29 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Who paid for it?
Since when does who paid for it matter to a wife??

Old 05-18-2005 | 11:24 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Ben,

For $100K, you have the right to expect a high quality product. It's just unfortunate for you that your particular vehicle has problems that remain unresolved. My early build 04CT performs flawlessly after all the updates. Never had vibration in the steering, very low oil usage @ 16Kmi, and no hesitation after the updates. I also have a great relationship with my service dept at Claridges which helps. As I've said before, we are fortunate that so many of the systems in the vehicle are software/firmware based, so that updates / enhancements can be performed relatively easily.

Regarding tire wear, was there / is there an alignment issue? Do you / does your wife drive the vehicle like a mad man / mad woman that would cause faster wear of the tires? My service guy told me that he's seen tires worn at 5Kmi with 8-10Kmi more likely. My winter tires, Pirelli Ice and Snow's, with a sample of 5Kmi held up well, and assuming the same wear rate, I figured it would last 35Kmi. The stock 18" Bridgestones didn't last very long. Chances are M+S tires will last longer than the high speed Y rated ones, so if tire wear is a bid deal to you, get longer wearing tires.

The vibration is the steering should be fixed one way or another. One way is fixing it, the other way is to lemon the car. My advice to you is to be persistent and courteous with your dealer -- show up every day if you have to -- just be nice. Start escalating your problems to the Service Manager and ask for his / her advice, then the GM, then PCNA. Write letters, contact the state, read the lemon law in your state because I think you only have something like 18 months from delivery. I had a lemon BMW X5 (wouldn't start occasionally) and got the company to buy it back after 3 years of use at a super good price. I wish you success, because if you get it fixed, you will have a great vehicle.

Phil
Old 05-18-2005 | 02:47 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Who paid for it?
? we don't play that game with "our" stuff. maybe that's how we just celebrated 10 great years of marriage.
Old 05-18-2005 | 02:56 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philg3
Regarding tire wear, was there / is there an alignment issue? Do you / does your wife drive the vehicle like a mad man / mad woman that would cause faster wear of the tires? My service guy told me that he's seen tires worn at 5Kmi with 8-10Kmi more likely. My winter tires, Pirelli Ice and Snow's, with a sample of 5Kmi held up well, and assuming the same wear rate, I figured it would last 35Kmi. The stock 18" Bridgestones didn't last very long. Chances are M+S tires will last longer than the high speed Y rated ones, so if tire wear is a bid deal to you, get longer wearing tires.

The vibration is the steering should be fixed one way or another. One way is fixing it, the other way is to lemon the car. My advice to you is to be persistent and courteous with your dealer -- show up every day if you have to -- just be nice. Start escalating your problems to the Service Manager and ask for his / her advice, then the GM, then PCNA. Write letters, contact the state, read the lemon law in your state because I think you only have something like 18 months from delivery. I had a lemon BMW X5 (wouldn't start occasionally) and got the company to buy it back after 3 years of use at a super good price. I wish you success, because if you get it fixed, you will have a great vehicle.

Phil
thanks phil. i'm very glad to hear yours has none of our problems.

as for how she drives it, she was pregnant during the first 4k (last 4 mths of pregnancy) of the 6k worn out miles. the 2nd 2k (2 mths) of the 6k were as a new mother with extremely precious cargo. she drives so conservative and slow that it makes me wanna pull my hair out so as a result, i usually avoid riding with her

there were no alignment or tire pressure issues because the wear on all four tires was perfectly uniform from outside to inner tire with no signs of anything unusual.

i'd like to think i have a fairly decent relationship with the service dept at this dealership. for example, i dropped my CGT off this AM so they can use it in the PCA tech session tonight. but, since they are unable to do tire work there (have to sub it out to a tire shop), it isn't their work. as well, i don't really wanna take the CT in several times for this issue because it's an utter PIA to deal with removal from CT and reinstallation into the loaner of the car seat and then back again into the cayenne. we had it professionally installed because it is such a PIA and is so crucial to being installed correctly (90% of car seats are installed improperly!!!). also, they always give us a honda which doesn't have the safety for which we bought the high riding 5K+ lb SUV for our childs protection. my wife will be out of town for about a week in the not too distant future and maybe i'll leave it with them and tell them not to bother calling me to pick it up until the vibration is gone.

all that said, i took the CT last night instead of my F150 because i was taking some friends downtown and knew it would be easier to park. on the way back home we were VERY almost T-boned at 40+ mph by a very lifted chevy truck who failed to yield. it's highly unlikely i would have avoided that accident in any other SUV and i wouldn't be surprised if it saved my life last night. however, if it had been up to relying on the CT's hesitation plagued accelerator instead the CT's excellent handling stability to avoid the accident, i probably would have been seriously injured if not killed. luckily both passengers were on the passenger side in both the front and rear while the truck was on the driver's side.

Last edited by ben in lj; 05-18-2005 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: update from PCNA on Cayenne Turbo