Sponsored by:

Door handles on one side have to be replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:05 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door handles on one side have to be replaced

I bet I have a issue on my Cayenne I have not heard anyone mention before: Door handle and specifically the buttons that close the car (enter and drive option which I love) have stopped working on the drvers side of the truck. The passenger side is just fine. Dealer has to replace the entire door handle and will have to paid the body colored piece in the middle of the handle. Strange that they will simply not replace the switch. I guess must be a one piece set-up .

Other news: clear markers are on the way. Dealer wants 1 1/2 hours to put them in. I guess worth it since I know it is not a easy install.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:26 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have that problem, but three of my four doors handles get stuck in the opened position when you get into the car. The doors wont close and lock if the handles are pulled out and you have to get out of the car and push the handle back in. A real pain in the A$$..... I love the car but these small things are getting to me.

I am bringing it into the dealer tomorrow, I hope they fix this on the first shot.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a tsb/service action for sticking handles, tell the dealer
Old 01-16-2005, 03:20 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mudman - I hope they just lubricate them...
Old 01-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaysideC4
I don't have that problem, but three of my four doors handles get stuck in the opened position when you get into the car. The doors wont close and lock if the handles are pulled out and you have to get out of the car and push the handle back in. A real pain in the A$$..... I love the car but these small things are getting to me.

I am bringing it into the dealer tomorrow, I hope they fix this on the first shot.
Oh jeeze, get silicone spray as a lubricant. It's the price you pay for close tolerances.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey T, its sunday you should be relaxing
Old 01-16-2005, 05:10 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

I had the same problem with you, they had to repaint the handles and replaced the switch My detailer can do the side markers installation in less than 30 mins! LOL
Old 01-16-2005, 06:04 PM
JARO
Pro

really, just 30 minutes!!! crap...I need to argue with them I guess....
Old 01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Its not even necessary to get new handles painted. The painted pieces can be removed from the old handle with a T6 torx bit.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Replacing the side markers is way easy with the right tool (isn't that the case with everything????)

Need a long-shaft screwdriver with a flexible shaft. Takes all of 20 minutes with it. Trying to do it with a non-flexible screwdriver (or wrench and extension) will take 2 hours or so and make you pull your hair out....
Old 01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
JARO
Pro

PTEC thanks...will relay this info onto my "knowledgable" service techs...
will take a stab at the clear markers...it has been cold here in Chicago and I live in the city and rent a unheated garage...will try when it gets to balmy mid-20's

anyone has seen good DIY pics???
Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mudman2
hey T, its sunday you should be relaxing
Okay, Okay.........

Sticking door handles is one of the reasons they invented WD40. Friction producing "thing a ma jigs" on the outside of the car, are exposed to rain and "excessive washing of the car" with the attendant detergents (look how I justify the "If the car is dirty, God will wash it" doctrine).

If you don't have silicone or WD40, use vaseline jelly and a Qtip to apply near friction areas. It will save a trip to the dealer and a lot of angst.

I had the same problem last year (I would drive off after slamming door and the door would flap in the wind. The lube lasts me about 6 months (with my car wash schedule)
Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Torags
Okay, Okay.........

Sticking door handles is one of the reasons they invented WD40. Friction producing "thing a ma jigs" on the outside of the car, are exposed to rain and "excessive washing of the car" with the attendant detergents (look how I justify the "If the car is dirty, God will wash it" doctrine).
Torags,
Granted, I have a preconceived opinion on the Cayenne (go ahead, flame, don't flame, just don't give a rat's A$$ anymore), but this situation does beg the simple question:

"Why should you expect/accept the door handles to be sticking?"

It's difficult to read this month's Pano and learn that 'thanks to the Cayenne, PAG made $1.4B in profits' and then have a situation where the door handles are a problem requiring an official acknowledgement by a TSB from PAG.

Yup, add door handles to the PAG Hall of Fame, right behind RMS, integrated dry sump, etc.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Sticky door handles don't have to be identified as a fault if they have worked for a period of time without sticking. If they begin to stick then it is an item that requires maintenance (like lubrication). To identify it as a fault isn't accurate in my .02.

A comment on the rant, a 65K suv shouldn't have this or that, etc...

The Cayenne has opened the door to a non car guy market. Previous Pcars had owner doing high maintenance on their cars (look at the DIY posts in the other forums). some things require more maintenance than others.

If you want an example of a high cost item that shouldn't break, look at NASA and the space shuttles. Sometimes there is not a direct relationship to the cost of an item and it operational abilities.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Torags
Sticky door handles don't have to be identified as a fault if they have worked for a period of time without sticking. If they begin to stick then it is an item that requires maintenance (like lubrication). To identify it as a fault isn't accurate in my .02.
Torags,
In order for me to accept and follow your line of reasoning, please tell me where in the owner's manual the door handles are listed as requiring maintenance.
In anticipation of your response, why then does PAG not include a small can of WD40 (or equiv) with each car?

How low can the standards (build/reliability/quality) be set for a vehicle displaying the Porsche crest?
Based on content, what % of the Cayenne is actually Porsche? How does this compare with previous Porsches?
How many service actions/recalls/TSB's does the Cayenne have in only 2 model years of production? How does this compare to previous Porsches?

How long does something have to function before it's not considered a 'design issue' and rather a 'maintenance issue' The warranty period?

At the end of the 10 year plan, we will all have the answers.

Quick Reply: Door handles on one side have to be replaced