Sponsored by:

Question about Stereo options

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 12:46 PM
jase700
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about Stereo options

I am picking up that there are 3 stereo options.

Base
Bose upgraded stereo
PCM

Obviously if I get the base stereo, I can replace it with whatever I want. If I get one with the Bose stereo, can that be replaced, or do you have a whole bunch of B ose electoronics that you would have to override?

for example, I have an infiniti M45 right now with the bose system. I can't replace the speakers because of the impedance that they run using the factory bose amp.
will I have the same problem with the bose system in the porsche?
Old 01-08-2005, 01:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IIRC, the Bose audio system is standard on S and Turbo Cayennes. I believe the Bose audio system is an option on a V6 Cayenne.

The PCM is merely a headunit, it has no audio processsing differences compared to the CDR23 headunit (both of which are made by Becker).

Any Porsche vehicle fitted with MOST (plastic fiber optics to connect headunit to amp to CDChanger and back to headunit).....basically MY03+ makes aftermarket replacement very difficult (no aftermarket MOST devices.....long story... a search will give you more than you ever wanted to know).
As I don't know what the 'base' stereo is (I haven't looked at MY05 model guides and I'm assuming it's a V6 for the reason stated at first above), then I can't comment on your upgrade options.
If you go with the Bose system, you'll have MOST and upgrades will be difficult.

The only Bose electronics in the car is the amplifier (cargo compartment, passenger side up and behind cover) and the powered bass module (spare tire compartment).

The transducer impedance is only an issue depending on the replacement amplifier. I'm assuming somone told you that Bose transducers are somewhat lower impedance, and hence might be a problem? Perhaps true for the bass drivers, but the mids and highs can be driven by most aftermarket amplifiers.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Question about Stereo options