Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off PSM changes Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Aeson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with you BoyBike - People aren't really getting your point about the difference between shift points and stability control. Other performance cars seperate the 2. Gives the driver more control.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:38 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Why does this PSM off shifting difference matter? For sportier driving shouldn't you be shifting manually - that is tip-shifting?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 AM
JeffES
Pro

Respectfully,
You're missing the point. PSM is never "off" - thus one never looses stabilty control. It's called "Stability MANAGEMENT" for a reason - there was great discussion within Porsche over the name, and rightfully so. Stability "control" is a different concept, as would be a "sport" mode. If you want a vehicle with a sport mode, by all means go out and buy one. I find the Cayenne to be in "permanent" sport mode. If you wish for harsher outputs, select "0ff". If not, select "on". It's quite simple, actually.
J
Old 01-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Aeson
Advanced

JeffES - I took your comment about PSM never really being Off to heart. AND that PSM is a very complex system. For those who haven't read up on it, its worth browsing through the manual for a quick (way too quick) explanation of what’s really going in the system.

In short when PSM is off, Wheel-specific brake interventions and the traction control system are inactive. The automatic brake differential remains on.

Now for the answer this thread was all about....PSM (on) uses engine drag torque control (MSR). The stability management system factors in Speed, direction, lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration and rate of turn about the vertical axis to figure out what to do. Perhaps, thats why some people complain about the Cay holding in gears during a hard turn (like your supposed to do....) and not coming out of the gear.

Basically, like Jeff said, its a very complex system that does much much more than check to see if the tires are slipping. One tool it uses for correction is engine drag torque control, which governs the engine very differently depending on the conditions.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:21 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Great to have the information on how the PSM works. Quick question, my '04 S with PSM "off: does not shift as is described in this thread....for sure does not start in 1st and does not hold 5th (I have driven a friends T-reg in sport mode and see that difference). Do I need a software update?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:42 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to have some updates done. The auto transmission control module specifically. HUGE difference, talk to your dealer
Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Thanks MM....I use Carlsen and they (Brian) confirm that I have all the updates...that is why I was a bit confused on the more agressive shifting that you all enjoy.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you turn your PSM off when your standing still, the gear indicator should go from 2 to 1, if it does not then the auto transmission module is out of date and in need of replacement.

If they do not respond to this approach call PCNA customer support and tell them what the dealer said. (tell the dealer your going to call)
Old 01-19-2005, 06:05 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Thx....I'll give it a go...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:18 AM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Default down selection

Another thing to try is to blip the accelerator as you come to the corner then back into the accelerator through the corner. You will find it will select down to the best powered gear for coming out of the corner.

Quick Reply: Turning off PSM changes Shift Points