Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Bridgestone Blizzak tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Anyone running Bridgestone Blizzak tires?

My research came up with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 tires as the best pure snow tire available in 255/55R18. Goodyear, which owns Dunlop, wrote me saying, a) Grandtrek tires are not snow tires and b) they don't have any production scheduled for Grandtrek tires... so I'm looking elsewhere.

Do any of you folks have experience with the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 on your Cayenne?

Or does anyone know of reasons that I shouldn't put these tires on my Cayenne?

Thanks -

Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have Cayenne experience (I have the Porsche specified/approved Grandtrek M2's on 18"....20" wheels/rims for summer).

Back when I had an Audi S4, myself and a few others tried Blizzaks, along with a bunch of other tires (Conti TS790's).

In pure/deep snow conditions, nothing beats a Blizzak.

In dry pavement (like here in MA where you get more dry road days than pure snow covered roaddays in the winter), the Blizzaks will quickly lose their snow advantage as the outer (soft/spongy) rubber layer quickly wears away. Once you get down below that, they are as good as any winter tire.

Depending on your location/conditions, if they make them in the right size/load/speed rating, I'd give them a try. Don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:45 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Goodyear, which owns Dunlop, wrote me saying, a) Grandtrek tires are not snow tires and b) they don't have any production scheduled for Grandtrek tires... so I'm looking elsewhere.
The Dunlop web site shows the Grandtrek WT M2 as a winter-only tire. The Porsche testing, documented in the October / November issue of Christophorus, states that these are winter-only tires. The makrings on the sidewall also state the same.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe me Wingless, no one was more surprised than me. There must be a difference that I didn't know about between "winter-tire" and "snow tire". Here's an unadulterated copy of the first email -

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

John,

The Dunlop tire you are speaking of is not a Snow tire. But to locate the Grandtrek tires he should go to an authorized Dunlop dealer such as Sears or Discount tire. VW
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I have not used Blizzaks on my Cayenne but have used them on my old BMW 850. They are great winter tires.

I agree with Itc they do have a very soft outside compound that will wear away fairly fast. This layer helps with grip on ice. After several thousand miles on dry roads it will wear away but you are left with a great winter tire. This is how the blizzak is designed. The best winter tire without studs in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would equate the Blizzaks with Pirelli Ice and Snows. I have the Pirellis on my pepper, but have about 7 years experience with the Blizzaks and loved them. Not sure about the speed rating on the Blizzaks though.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Bridgestone Blizzak tires?