Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FWIW, if you want to drive your Cayenne in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004 | 10:05 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
One caveat: Dedicated snow tires...not all season wannabees...
I find my CS with 19" Yoks is perfectly fine in the snow.
Old 12-22-2004 | 12:48 AM
goplay
Instructor

I had the opportunity to drive my Turbo in the heavy snow fall in Tahoe over Thanksgiving. The plows hadn't come through my street and driveway yet, and I was really impressed, perhaps blown away, by the traction and driveability I had. Unlike a previous comment, it was confidence inspiring, not the opposite.

I did not have PSM off (well I turned it off later for fun in the parking lot ) I do have Pirelli Scorpians Snow tires and I did grow up driving in Canadian winters without the aid of snow tires and four wheel drive.

In comparison, I had an X5 4.6 that, with snow tires, got stuck in my driveway in Tahoe. In fact, that's what inspired me to sll my X5. How pathetic to have "fake" four wheel drive. As an aside, I think the X5 is a basically a way over rated vehicle. Grabby brakes, not a real 4x4, harsh (not to be confused with stiff) drive. While IMO it does look better than the Cayenne, I much prefer the Cayenne's drivability on dry and in snow.

I also have driven extensively a Suburban in Tahoe snow. I would rate the Cayenne as having equivalent traction to the Suburban, but since it is smaller, with lower CoG, and better road feel, it is easier to handle in tough conditions. It is also far more refined. The Suburban is prehistoric!

Charles
Old 12-22-2004 | 02:13 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljugete
The M2's are the best! No issues like this have arised on my CS either(on my 2nd winter experience). You definitely need a dedicated winter wheel set approved by Porsche. PAG knows what they are doing and I would'nt give your "winter user review" a leg to stand on. My 0.2 cents.

Have no issues with the M2's I had a set for my 4runner and rx300 before, I was just shocked at the perf of the Yoko's HT-S G-052 M+ S, I just went to try it because it has one of the highest review in tirerack. If this wasnt avail I would've bought the M2's again. The only plus with the yoko is I dont have to remove it all year round.
Old 12-22-2004 | 08:17 AM
426H
Advanced

Originally Posted by ljugete
The M2's are the best! No issues like this have arised on my CS either(on my 2nd winter experience). You definitely need a dedicated winter wheel set approved by Porsche. PAG knows what they are doing and I would'nt give your "winter user review" a leg to stand on. My 0.2 cents.

Unless you plan to go +150 mph with your winter tires you can forget about which tires are approved by Porsche. The winter tires approoved by Porsche are desigend to manage the car´s topspeed which is a criteria to get an "approval" from the car manufactrurer in europe. A tire that is designed for +150 mph is just not the right compromise for handeling severe snow and ice conditions. There are far better winter tires avalible if you live up north and want to prioritize traction in REAL winter conditions!
Old 12-22-2004 | 01:17 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 426H
Unless you plan to go +150 mph with your winter tires you can forget about which tires are approved by Porsche. The winter tires approoved by Porsche are desigend to manage the car´s topspeed which is a criteria to get an "approval" from the car manufactrurer in europe. A tire that is designed for +150 mph is just not the right compromise for handeling severe snow and ice conditions. There are far better winter tires avalible if you live up north and want to prioritize traction in REAL winter conditions!
Excellent point.. However, recognizing the driving style of Pepper owners (in the summer) I personally wouldn't go below H rated, because of traction capability.
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:06 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torags
Excellent point.. However, recognizing the driving style of Pepper owners (in the summer) I personally wouldn't go below H rated, because of traction capability.
Agreed, I wouldn't go below 'H' either, and I'd only go 'H' on a winter tire. What I found interesting is that Porsche approves of the 'H' rated Dunlop for winter, but not the 'H' Pirelli I&S -- they require the 'V' version. I got the 'H' Pirelli because so many people recommended it, and I had never heard of the 'V' version until about a month ago -- the last time I checked, Tirerack didn't carry the 'V'.

Torags raises a good issue. Perhaps the compound in the 'H' version is more suitable for lower temps for snow and ice than the 'V' version. This is my first set of dedicated winter tires as I've gotten by on M&S's previously -- what a difference.
Old 12-23-2004 | 06:38 PM
426H
Advanced

Originally Posted by Torags
If I lived in SF, I woudent even bother about winter tires!

Happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2004 | 04:09 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Don't you go 150 mph in the snow & ice?
Old 12-24-2004 | 04:10 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Merry Christmas too all!
Old 12-25-2004 | 04:17 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 426H
If I lived in SF, I woudent even bother about winter tires!

Happy holidays!
But ahhhhh.... Tahoe - roads at 8,000'+ elevation, great skiing views.... 250 mi away from SF...

Happy safe holidays to all.........

Old 12-26-2004 | 09:38 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

the truth of the matter is, the all weather tires (m+s) will do just fine in the winter for 95% of us. if you live in the northeast, and you need it for the occasional snow storm, you will be just fine. in the mountains of colorado, dedicated snows would be better. now i know that at least 5 of you are going to insist that they would not be caught dead in nj without $1-2,000 worth of snows and wheels, but i disagree. i have used the m+s with awd, and they are just fine. if you want to spend the extra money, that's fine, but the rest of the world is driving suv's with m+s, and doing just fine.
Old 12-27-2004 | 10:12 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

True, M&S will do just fine in most winter driving. But for those who travel in heavy snows or in the mountains, winter tires can't be beat. S, T, H or V rated winters will perform there winter tasks just fine. It's only when making use of the upper handling and speed capabilities of the car that these ratings will have their effect. For most, when winter speed is limited to 75 mph or less, no problems.
Old 12-27-2004 | 11:38 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

bobby-i certainly agree. my only point is that for the majority of us not in the mountains of vermont, colorado, etc, those m+s tires will do just fine, i live in nj, and we have snow on and off, most less than 4 inches. once in a while, we have a blizzard. the m+s tires here are ok-you don't need dedicated winter tires. i also have a 996tt that i drive in the winter-for those, i remove the performance tires, that are worth 0 in the snow, and put winter tires on them (dunlops). but on my cs, i keep on all year round the m+s that the factory gave me. happy new year.
Old 12-27-2004 | 07:53 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

For those who require maximum performance, year-round, a set of summer-only tires and a set of winter-only tires are required.

For those who find average performance, year-round, acceptable, then all-season tires are the choice.
Old 12-27-2004 | 10:32 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wingless, I will have to agree more so with docjackson1. Winter tires will rarely out perform a high performance all season tire when there is no snow. In 25 deg weather which tire do you think will corner better, provide better wet and dry traction? Not all of us live where the white stuff hits the ground. During my years in CA, never was snow a problem only low temperatures. Once you are on snow and Ice, I agree winter tires are the way to go

Quick Reply: FWIW, if you want to drive your Cayenne in the snow...