Sponsored by:

Cayenne Electric 12-Volt Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:43 PM
SF CAYENNE S 05
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Electric 12-Volt Cooler

Has anyone got this and best price also how loud is the unit when it's on/cooling. also if anyone knows who makes a better unit or larger that has a cover and tie down strap like our oem. thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
GM Austin
Pro

I have two of them. I bought one and later got one from the dealer as a door prize.

I don't find them useful. It takes too long to cool down. Maybe if you are almost filling the cooler with something already cold it could work. The noise is not a problem. It is very quiet.

I have another, larger electric cooler and have the same complaint about it. I have pretty much gone back to the passive, add ice, kind of cooler. It keeps things colder and doesn't need power.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:04 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Anything that starts with a "P" is going to cost more than alternatives. I've seen electric coolers that look real sharp at Costco during the Spring / Summer seasons for around $70. Personally, I use a 20 year old Coleman cooler with an ice pack or two, and I find it works quite well for a 4-6 hour drive.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:29 PM
SF CAYENNE S 05
Intermediate

thanks will search around more,
Old 12-14-2004, 04:30 PM
intrasta
Track Day

I have been thinking about getting this to keep my twins(may 10 due date) bottles and stuff cool here in sunny california. maybe im just freaking out about having twins.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:54 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Coolers

I have just a regular old Coleman 12V cooler. Works great. I use bungie's to attach it to the tie down points in the back. Cost me about a third of what the P cooler costs and is much larger.

I have two houses and it really helps to just move the perishables back and forth rather than trying to keep milk fresh in a house you may not be back to for a few weeks.

I always referidgerate things before I put them in the cooler. If you load it up with cool items, the cooler can keep them at refer type temperatures. One big issue is leaving the cooler in a hot car. The hotter the outside air, the more trouble the unit has. In a running car (with AC adjusted for normal comfort 70-74 degreees) there is no problem. We did a trip last year to AZ and after sitting in a very hot car (100+), things in the cooler were cool but not cold.

Alex
Old 12-15-2004, 06:24 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nothings better than good ole' ice! As for when it comes to baby bottles, what if it stopped working and then started again (kinda doubtful) but the point is I wouldn't trust something like that with precious gems such as kids...

Again, ice works great as do those "cold packs"! That's how I did it with me son when in Hawaii and out on the boat diving!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
intrasta
Track Day

Thx for the insight! Maybe i'll find an electric cooler and put ice packe inside with the bottles!!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:21 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Depends upon your application. For my 4 -6 hour drive to / from Tahoe, ice packs work great as I can freeze the packs at both ends of trip. However, if I were on a driving vacation, staying at a hotel, I'm not going to ask the hotel chef to borrow his freezer to cool my packs. So, in that case, I would get an electric cooler. Some, if not all, electric coolers can plug into a 110V outlet, in addition to the 12V in your car. So you could bring your cooler inside for the night, and be able to start your car in the morning with no battery drain. If I didn't already own my 20 year old cooler that suits me just fine with the ice packs, I'd get an electric one. Could still use ice packs in that one. I'd also wait until March / April and get it at Costco.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:37 PM
DTampa
Advanced

I have the P cooler and paid about $160 for it. Will keep cool items cool and will eventually cool down room temp items. No noise. I bought it for family road trips and works great. Your application of baby bottles is perfect espically with a ice pack to put in the bottom. Will keep drinks and sandwiches cool for highway trip.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:13 AM
beemaze
Instructor

Originally Posted by philg3
Anything that starts with a "P" is going to cost more than alternatives. I've seen electric coolers that look real sharp at Costco during the Spring / Summer seasons for around $70. Personally, I use a 20 year old Coleman cooler with an ice pack or two, and I find it works quite well for a 4-6 hour drive.

I purchased the Costco electric coooler. We took a trip to Nevada (4+ hours) and nothing cooled down or stayed very cold. Added ice when we got there and everything was fine obviously. We also used an adaptor in the hotel room for 110V AC, it didn't cool much either. You could feel the cold air inside, but was simply just not refridgerator-like. We returned the Costco 12V cooler when we got back. Bottom line-- ice is nice.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:58 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beemaze
I purchased the Costco electric coooler. We took a trip to Nevada (4+ hours) and nothing cooled down or stayed very cold. Added ice when we got there and everything was fine obviously. We also used an adaptor in the hotel room for 110V AC, it didn't cool much either. You could feel the cold air inside, but was simply just not refridgerator-like. We returned the Costco 12V cooler when we got back. Bottom line-- ice is nice.
Sounds like you got a bad one but the great thing about Costco is returning is easy. I like the concept of the electric cooler, and they must work because people are buying them. But it would be a good idea to put a thermometer in one to test it. For best results, I would pre-chill food, if possible, prior to the trip.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:08 AM
GM Austin
Pro

He didn't get a bad one, they all work that way. I have three, two from Porsche, and they all have very similar performance. They will cool about 30-40 degrees below ambient temperature and that's it. People buy them because it seems like a good idea, and in some cases maybe that amount of cooling is enough for you. For me, I agree with beemaze, ice is nice. I don't use my electric coolers anymore.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Electric 12-Volt Cooler