Sponsored by:

V6 with manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 AM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default V6 with manual trans

Anybody driven one yet? My dealer says they will most likely not order any for stock so any that come in would have been special ordered, not surprised. As sluggish as the trans is in my wife's S I wonder if the V6 with the manual would be a viable option?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 AM
64lusso
Instructor

I guess that answers that question!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 64lusso
As sluggish as the trans is in my wife's S I wonder if the V6 with the manual would be a viable option?
i think we can all agree that the V6 is underpowered. how would getting a V6 with manual be better/faster/quicker responding than an S with Tip
Old 12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
426H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an S with a six-speed manual, no hesitation for sure!
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Moogle
Race Car

IIRC, the S and Turbo are not availible with 6 speed, only Tip, in the USA only the V6
Old 12-03-2004, 03:38 PM
426H
Advanced

Porsche makes the S with a manual, so if you really want one and your dealer is motivated I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to get one in the US.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
umfan866
Racer

Yes I'd like to know what the differences are between the Euro S versus the US S,
and if it's possible to either import a Euro S into the US without too much hassle and have any remaining differences converted ... or ... somehow special order a US S with manual transmission. Porsche does have a strong history of customizing their cars for people who really want that, no? Would it cost "extra" or actually save you money (buying a V6 manual saves you several thousand over the tip).

BTW some dealers in California (at least 2) did get V6 stick's and because they are cheaper and Porschephiles don't mind a stick they have sold quickly!
Old 12-05-2004, 10:17 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 426H
Porsche makes the S with a manual, so if you really want one and your dealer is motivated I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to get one in the US.
The story that VW told me when I asked them why they don't sell a Passat TDI wagon when they have the TDI in other configurations was that the U.S. requires each specific configuration tested (crash, emissions, not sure which, probably both). If this is true, Porsche would have to test the C-S manual and that would cost money.

It is sad, because if they sold a manual Cayenne S I would have one on order already. There is a raging debate in my head between the V6 and S simply because I can get a manual in the V6. I far prefer manual transmisssions...
Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

I also vasty prefer manuals and have them in all my CARS, but I'm not sure I'd want it in the CS even if I could. I tow with it and don't want the hassle then- and anyway with the tip buttons on the wheel I can change gears whenever I want now. And the S with the tip isn't that slow, though I imagine the V6 would definitely be! Can't imagine the stick would make the V6 that much quicker- the power to weight ratio would still suck...
Old 12-06-2004, 12:07 AM
BenLee
Instructor

I don't tow and don't go off-road... I would have LOVED to get my Cayenne S in a manual, like my 996 C2 and S2000! I love the Cayenne (handles great, fits my baby and dog on long trips, and doesn't kill my back during diaper changes) but I do get bored simply because it's an automatic. This is the first automatic car I've bought since I got my driver's license.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:09 AM
umfan866
Racer

Could the engine of the manual V6 be tweaked or tuned any more to get more power out of it?
I understand that Porsche has already substantially tweaked this VW-sourced engine -- what else,
if anything could be done? Aftermarket chips? How much would this cost? Some tuning company might be able to make a name for itsself here...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
64lusso
Instructor

Well my thinking went something like this, we had a X-5 six and it was fine as far as having enough power for everything we needed (no towing) and it got 20+ MPG on trips. The transmission in her S is so slow to respond that if I imagine the same trans in the V-6 it's not too hard to see why she didn't think it had enough power when in fact it has as much as her X-5 did(is there a weight difference between these two?). I use the tip buttons and sometimes the shifter when I drive to hold it in gears a little longer and it works very well. Not really planning on making a change but just wondering if the more direct manual connection might make the V-6 seem not so underpowered and at the same time get better milage.

Quick Reply: V6 with manual trans