Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have encountered an accident...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004 | 02:03 AM
chilipepper
AutoX

Default For those that have encountered an accident...

I can offer some advice on recovering diminished value on your car. I just went through it.
Old 10-31-2004 | 05:15 PM
Aeson
Advanced

well.........what is it?
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

with bated breath, yet.
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:46 PM
chilipepper
AutoX

If you're in a situation now, you need to ask for it and get your car's value established before the accident and what the market would pay for your car after even though the repairs have been made. Insurance companies having been fighting or even denying there is any dimunition of value after accidents. Many class action cases and lost. Depending on the state you're in, some will support it and others will not.
Old 10-31-2004 | 09:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's too late if you have your car repaired (from a practical point of view), you've lost most of your negotiationg position. Get all of this sorted out before you let them (Insurance) touch the car.

It's probably best to forget you ever heard the term "diminished value". In California, anyway, it's a losing approach (due to precedent) for 1st party claims. There are other ways to "skin the cat" depending upon the facts and circumstances. Instead of making generalizations it's best to post specific situations and then get some input as to which direction to take; and nothing substitues for a good attorney...before they touch your car.
Old 11-01-2004 | 09:38 PM
chilipepper
AutoX

Hmmm....specifics huh? I did get my car repaired and I did receive payment for diminished value in 'California'. What other legal and ethical ways to 'skin the cat' ? One should not be so quick to pass judgement. The key is 3rd party for those that are interested.
Old 11-01-2004 | 09:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly my point! A good attorney will take of the legalities and ethics.

Quick Reply: For those that have encountered an accident...