Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone else get the PCNA letter about misleading advertising?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004 | 01:59 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

I did not get any letter either. The RX8 issue is because the RX8 is WAAAYYYYYYYYYY under horse powered from the initial claims. Also the RX8 MPG is off pretty badly IMO as it guzzles like a V8 truck. I know as I have one going to SEMA. Mazda handled it pretty well though. I think horsepower was and is a big issue for this customer base when purchasing a car like this.

Back to Cayenne: I think Cayenne airbag deployment will not be a huge fight for people to jump on and fight for? Just IMHO. I did not get my Cayenne whatsoever for the airbags or how they deploy. I purchase vehicles for overall performance first, and how it looks second, . Sorry i have no kids, so maybe thats why im stating this, but i know CAY one of the safest vehicles on roads right now according to the media.

Last edited by woogiedaxel; 10-29-2004 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-29-2004 | 03:26 AM
OPEC
Intermediate

I've got an opinion on this one - These are not mass-market vehicles. A class action suit isn't going to fix the problem. The performance is so far to the right of the bell curve, other things will suffer. Anybody here ever own a Ferrari and expect it to be perfect? I don't have low expectations on anything, but I am willing to tolerate a certain amount of "play" provided the dealer is willing to work with me. I have not had any bad dealer experiences, but I also always make sure I establish a good repertoire with the GM and service manager. Go in guns-a-blazin', and I can guarantee your car might get fixed when they get around to it. Complain about paying $100k +/- for an SUV and it better work right, and frankly, they don't care.

If you want reliability, buy a Toyota. If you want reliability and a plastic-like comfort, buy a Lexus. If you want to have a car that makes you smile when you drive it, well, you've come to the right place.

In short, stay away from the class action suits. It costs the companies money that should be put back into R&D. But when your car is in the shop, make sure you get a decent loaner. It is the least they can do to a non-threatening enthusiast who bought a Porsche to drive a Porsche, not just to be seen in one.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2004 | 11:11 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I'm concerned about this but not sure what I'll do - I have 3 kids and frequently need to have one of them in the front seat; I discussed this feature in great detail with the dealer when I purchased the CS and it was one of my considerations at the time.
Hmmmmm.......
Old 11-01-2004 | 12:33 PM
bancu
Racer

I'm in a similar boat Rick. Having dual-stage was airbags was right up there on my list. No kids in the front but several adults that weigh under 95lbs.

The thing I'm trying to do is sort out what the truth is.
Old 11-01-2004 | 12:44 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Since I haven't seen the letter I don't know if my CS is affected (2004 model purchased last November). I love the car & haven't had any of the issues that I've seen discussed on this board. So, I'll have to see what the reality is - I'm not sure I'll keep it if this turns out to be a valid issue.
Old 11-01-2004 | 01:08 PM
bancu
Racer

I haven't seen the letter either and am trying to sort out of it's VIN specific too. I took delivery of my '04 CT just after you did.

One thing I've heard multiple times from Customer Commitment was that the feature did not live up to Porsche's standards and that is why it's not on the '05s.

It may just be me but I translate that to mean that it didn't meet Porsche's standards on the '04s either and it just took them this long to catch the issue.
Old 11-01-2004 | 05:02 PM
djdinaz
Track Day

Default the letter

Dear <insert name here>

We are confident that you are enjoying the newest expression of Porsche driving performance. As you know, your Cayenne was engineered and built to deliver legendary Porsche on-road performance and equally impressive off-pavement control, comfort and safety.

The safety of our drivers and their passengers is always one of our primary concerns, as we consider you one of our very most important assets, Although the safety of the Cayenne airbag system far exceeds all applicable government standards, the explanation of its operation in the Cayenne S and Turbo brochure describes certain features that were not available when your car was built.

While we strive for accuracy and timeliness in all of our publications, the 2004- Cayenne brochure does provide that specifications, standard equipment and options are subject to change without notice, and that some features shown or described in the brochure may have been unavailable when your car was built.

The brochure states, "The Cayenne comes equipped with full size, two stage airbags for both front occupants" This is true. What was not available when your car was built, and is not available on any production Cayenne, is the feature described in the next sentence, which reads: "The two stage design enables the airbag sensor to choose between two distinct deployment modes according to the force of the impact."

We want to reiterate that the airbag system in your Cayenne far exceeds all applicable government standards, and will be there for you and your occupants should you ever need it. We at Porsche are dedicated to bringing you not only the finest driving experience, but also accurate information regarding your car. We hope this clarifies the situation for you and provides peace of mind. We wish you continued enjoyment of your Porsche.

Sincerely,

Mike McMain
Manager, Customer Satisfaction
Porsche Cars North America
Old 11-01-2004 | 05:12 PM
bancu
Racer

Thank you djdinaz!
Old 11-07-2004 | 03:01 PM
bancu
Racer

Default "BMW Facing Lawsuit Over X5 Airbags"

Could this be why rear side airbags are an option on the x5? I always thought it was for when you had kids in the back. Maybe it is really BMW's way of limiting their exposure.

"...she suffered a chemical burn on her left arm when the driver's side airbag exploded while she was driving."
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/au...46/detail.html

"...who allege X5 model airbags deploy without impact, potentially causing serious injury or death to a driver."
http://www.injuryboard.com/view.cfm/Topic=9963

Quick Reply: Did anyone else get the PCNA letter about misleading advertising?