Sponsored by:

Wheel Vibration / Bent

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:43 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Wheel Vibration / Bent

I recently purchased a set of slightly used 22" Techart Formula wheels from a reputable non localPorsche Dealer... After installation i noticed a vibration so I had my local dealer look at the wheels and and see if the tires needed to be rebalanced...they came to the conclusion that 3 of 4 wheels are bent and can not be fixed because they are aluminum... the original selling dealer assured me that there was no structural damage prior to purchasing them and was shocked to hear that my dealer said they were bent and felt my dealer is "completely inaccurate"...

So am i screwed? Can the wheels not be fixed? Do you think the local dealer was just looking for an easier way to get out of not balancing large wheels and tires for relatively cheap? What should i do?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:00 PM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the dealership determine that they are bent? You can visually see?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:20 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't see it myself, but the dealer said that when they put the car up on the lift and spin the wheels, you can see they are bent along the innner edge.... Wheel balance is supposed to cost $95.. I assume its tougher with such a large wheel/tire ... maybe they just didnt want to balance them?

The original seller made it very clear that there was no structural damage to the wheel and I know they sell a ton of stuff via ebay. THen again, i find it hard to trust any car dealer
Old 10-26-2004, 12:07 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I just spent $150 to mount and balance new 18" winter tires at my Porsche dealer. Sounds expensive, but I got 2 other similar quotes from wheels places that also have the Hunter 9700 road force balancer. So, if that's what they are using, and for a 22" wheel, I sure hope so, $95 doesn't sound out of line. My service advisor says that machine makes a big difference, and so have others on these boards. I just drove up to Tahoe today, and smooth as can be. Sounds like you have a real pain in the a** problem. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:22 AM
cayenneman
Advanced

Even if your wheels are bent they can definitely be fixed. Look in the back of motor trend or road and track. The one that comes to mind is wheels america but there are others. I have a guy who does mine locally. It shouldnt be much more than 100 a wheel and that includes shipping.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:55 AM
GM Austin
Pro

It is very possible the wheels are bent. Have the dealer show you what he's talking about and see if you can quanitify the eccentricity, micrometers of runout, or whatever the applicable specification is. Then, armed with this "proof" of the defect, go back to the dealer that sold you the wheels and demand a refund.

Quick Reply: Wheel Vibration / Bent