Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective film on Foglights/Xenons - is it okay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protective film on Foglights/Xenons - is it okay?

Well,

Pulled the new one (04 Cayenne) into the garage tonight with clear bra dealer installed. Wondering about protection for the foglights and Xenons. On a previous Audi and current VW with Xenons, they were covered with a rather thick film and no heat issues from the lights. Same with the foglights on the VW.

I was told on the Volvo XC90 by a salesman, film on their Xenons is a no-no, too much heat.

Any heat or other issues I need to be aware of if I want to go the protective film route here in Colorado (pretty much a gotta have here).

Thanks,
Grant
Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

I do not recommend it. You do not need a film because I heard that the xenon headlight has something to protect it from rock and chip. The color of the light will change too when you install the film
Old 10-22-2004, 01:16 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Found the official answer on pg 320 of the owners manual....

Do not apply protective films such as stone guard to the lights.....

Any other thoughts out there on this subject, a cracke xenon can't be less then $800 each ?

G-
Old 10-22-2004, 05:32 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, the manual says no. Mine have been applied for almost a year, with no problems. Like everything else on the leading edge, it would be sandblasted and pummeled by all the winter road treatment, so I required this protection.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

I have stone guard film on my xenons and foglamps without issues. After seeing the warning in the owners manual, I called Xpel to discuss prior to applying. They suggested the issue was with prior generation very thick 40 mil plastic and heat build up causing crazing of the lens. Xpel recommended staying with 23 mil or less. I ended up putting the clear bra 9mil film on the headlamps and foglamps.

Regards,
Old 12-09-2004, 05:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

..those concerned can always use the same 3m material used on the paint instead for the headlights and it will offer the same level of protection as the 3m paint protection material...

Quick Reply: Protective film on Foglights/Xenons - is it okay?