Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose steering, clunk over cobblestones... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 AM
WCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '03 S has a steering clunk problem and can be reproduced as follows. Drive straight at about 10-20mph. Turn left (or right) while gradually applying break and there will be a knock transmitted to the steering wheel.

My dealer has been courteous and applied the following fixes, but didn't fix it completely:
- steering gear & tie rods replacement.
- tighten steering shaft bolts.
- replace front break pads & rotor (I doubt about this but went ahead since it needs replacement anyways).

My best guess is the problem is either steering shaft or front transmission U-joints. I've learned to live with it so won't revisit the issue until next service in 3k miles.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:05 AM
WCS
Instructor

BTW, if the problem exists after an alignment, maybe the angle sensor wasn't recalibrated?
This sensor is used by PSM and tiptronics. It needs to be reset after an alignment. I'm not sure if this is something new to P-cars and if dealers are doing it properly.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:40 AM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

Mine feels like a tierod end. I have 4500 miles on it and noticed it while braking. It definitely drives different. the car feels loose. And a I have a wheel shimmy/wobble while braking. I'll update you the dealer feedback
Old 02-09-2005, 05:30 AM
WCS
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidbrondstetter
Mine feels like a tierod end. I have 4500 miles on it and noticed it while braking. It definitely drives different. the car feels loose. And a I have a wheel shimmy/wobble while braking. I'll update you the dealer feedback
Thank you. Please keep me posted.
Mine has 38K miles so far and it first developed at around 34K I believe.

Quick Reply: Loose steering, clunk over cobblestones... any ideas?